Why do you suppose...

LDVinNC

cruise line "insurance" medical and evacuation benefits are so low?  Constantly on this board people ask questions about the suitability of these policies and the expert posters are quick to point out how inadequate the limits are for most situations.  I'd think the cruise lines would wise up and increase these limits since they likely would sell a lot more policies if they did so.

Why do I suppose?

1. This is still Cruise Critic where less than 1% of the cruisers go to talk about cruising. Then take this particular forum/thread, not may people who are on Cruise Critic even know about this Travel Insurance forum. So, what I'm getting at is that more than 90% of cruisers are unaware that the limits are too low. It's a numbers game.

2. Follow The Money. I would imagine the margins are very high and the cruise lines don't want to dig into those margins by increasing limits. If they do increase limits, they have to raise prices. If they don't want to raise prices, they have to limit other areas of coverage. What do they take away? The CFAR? The no age restriction?

Hmmm, fully on board with #2.  In regard to #1, I would like to think that people who have the wherewithal to afford cruising would be smart enough to know that medical treatment for even a minor malady could easily exceed $10k.  But, maybe not.

What we did - to save nearly $1000 on an upcoming south Pacific trip - was to take the cruise line coverage and add on a medical & evacuation only policy that is primary and will cover pre-existing conditions.

2 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

In regard to #1, I would like to think that people who have the wherewithal to afford cruising would be smart enough to know that medical treatment for even a minor malady could easily exceed $10k.  But, maybe not.

I think you're being very kind.

When it comes to Travel Insurance, I would bet that 50% of the people on the ship don't have it. (Either a conscience move or not) Of those that do have it, probably only 25% have read and understand their coverages. Heck, my TA who pushes her travel insurance (for commission purposes and she wants her clients to be protected) doesn't understand why we refuse her policy. I keep telling her the price is too high with very low medical coverage.

I agree, but must add the following. We have not taken a cruise because we cannot figure out, without a PhD in cruiseology, how to select insurance and the actual benefits we can access if we need them. In a word it is trust. I cannot trust that the policy we buy will do what we expect even after we have read the fine print. It is so confusing and filled with exceptions that we simply have given up. I'd like to see the cruise ships offer there own "complete care" insurance that cavers you for everything. I'd pay more for peace of mind and a clean understanding of what I can expect.  Furthermore, the paper work is a logistical nightmare if there is a claim. So we will just go to Disney World!

"We have not taken a cruise because we cannot figure out, without a PhD in cruiseology, how to select insurance and the actual benefits we can access if we need them."

I think all insurance policies - homeowners, auto, etc. - are rife with legalese so you really don't know what is truly covered...yet I buy it!

Many people on this board have reported successful travel insurance claims.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, Saltyseadog57 said:

I agree, but must add the following. We have not taken a cruise because we cannot figure out, without a PhD in cruiseology, how to select insurance and the actual benefits we can access if we need them. In a word it is trust. I cannot trust that the policy we buy will do what we expect even after we have read the fine print. It is so confusing and filled with exceptions that we simply have given up. I'd like to see the cruise ships offer there own "complete care" insurance that cavers you for everything. I'd pay more for peace of mind and a clean understanding of what I can expect.  Furthermore, the paper work is a logistical nightmare if there is a claim. So we will just go to Disney World!

That’s where an honest, well-informed cruise insurance agent can help.  Steve from tripinsurancestore.com is highly thought of on the boards and he even has his own sub-board above.  If you read through the threads there are some other trip insurance agencies that are consistently recommended.  You should consider calling one or more of these agents to get your questions answered and a clear explanation of what you are buying.

BTW this topic is fantastic-for me I hadn’t even thought that Medicare wouldn’t cover me out of the country - learning that and getting the Geoblue recommendation has been so helpful.  I haven’t had to use it, but am glad to have it in case I do, and another poster who HAS used Geoblue (medical/evac coverage only) speaks very highly of their coverage and claims process.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, Saltyseadog57 said:

Quick question, does this apply to your auto insurance, if you own a car?

What about homeowners or rental insurance, if you own a home or rent?

All the best...