Has anyone enjoyed the Epic Western Med?

Peachypooh

We are thinking of booking the Epic Western Med starting in Barcelona.

I just finished reading around 50 reviews and only a few were positive.

Is it really that bad? I am assuming with so many port days the ship would

be secondary but still....hate to fly all the way to Europe and spend

probably close to $15,000  and have it be a waste. 

I did it for my honeymoon in the summer of 2016, so I can't speak about more recent sailings. But my wife and I found it worth every penny.

We sailed out of Rome (I am never going to spell the actual town right, so I am calling it Rome) and we did feel a little left out having joined the Barcelona people mid-cruise and it was weird leaving the ship to spend the day in Barcelona and being told goodbye, only to have them realize we would be back in a few hours. I will say the chair hogging was much worse on that cruise than any other I have taken. But honestly, the ship was great, the food even better than American based cruises since we could get more food every day in port (my wife still hasn't stopped talking about the tomatoes), and overall we had a blast

Those problems were the tiniest of inconveniences though, and we had the time of our lives. Like I said above, it was worth every penny. 

• Thanks 1

We did this cruise from Barcelona Sept 13.   Loved every minute of it !!   It's an exhausting itinerary but we loved the ports, the ship, food, entertainment .... all of it !

We're budget travellers so we had 2 inside cabins and went DIY at all the ports except Naples where we had a private driver for the Amalfi Coast.  

If I had listened to all the negative nonsense on this forum, I wouldn't have gone ! 

My trip report :

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2698753-trip-review-epic-departing-barcelona-sept-15/?tab=comments#comment-58444197

I tried to post on the review forum but after all my typing it was lost, so it only appears on the NCL site.  There are a few others .... near the top of this forum, under Norwegian Cruiseline, go to See Posts About and select Epic.  Then sort by date.  Here's another, with lots of photos.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2702318-trip-report-–-norwegian-epic-western-med-september-11-18-2019/?tab=comments#comment-58550013

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

I’m on the Epic at the moment on a southern Caribbean cruise which is great!! This is my 5th cruise on the Epic as a solo and I have only had 5 cruises so that should speak volumes! I love this ship. There’s so many restaurants and bars and entertainment venues. The staff and food are great and I just love the vibe of the entire ship. My other 4 Epic cruises were Western Med from Barcelona so this is my first time from San Juan. To be in the sunshine in January when its cold and rainy in the UK is a bit special !!! Book your cruise. You will have a great time 😎 🌞

The Epic is going into dry dock in November this year so I will be back again to see the new shows next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We are thinking of booking the Epic Western Med starting in Barcelona.

I just finished reading around 50 reviews and only a few were positive.

Is it really that bad? I am assuming with so many port days the ship would

be secondary but still....hate to fly all the way to Europe and spend

probably close to $15,000  and have it be a waste. 

We planned to do that cruise in 2017 until we saw the cost for the Haven compared to MSCs Yacht Club!

The ship is the most important part of a cruise in the Mediterranean and I think that the Epic is a good choice, with or without Haven.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

We did this cruise from Barcelona Sept 13.   Loved every minute of it !!   It's an exhausting itinerary but we loved the ports, the ship, food, entertainment .... all of it !

We're budget travellers so we had 2 inside cabins and went DIY at all the ports except Naples where we had a private driver for the Amalfi Coast.  

If I had listened to all the negative nonsense on this forum, I wouldn't have gone ! 

My trip report :

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2698753-trip-review-epic-departing-barcelona-sept-15/?tab=comments#comment-58444197

I tried to post on the review forum but after all my typing it was lost, so it only appears on the NCL site.  There are a few others .... near the top of this forum, under Norwegian Cruiseline, go to See Posts About and select Epic.  Then sort by date.  Here's another, with lots of photos.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2702318-trip-report-–-norwegian-epic-western-med-september-11-18-2019/?tab=comments#comment-58550013

Thank you! Great review!

We did this cruise in August 2018 and had a great time. Also was worried about the high number of poor reviews (I am in a similar situation now with Breakaway reviews for which I am booked this August!) but I had absolutely no complaints at all. Bar service was reportedly slow with long queues - we were on a full ship and never waited long at any bar on the ship. 

Food was fab and our balcony cabin was great.

Being a full ship the deck was crowded on the sea day, however I’d read about the ‘secret sun deck’ thanks to cruise critic and found comfy padded sun-loungers in a spacious area and we even got Waiter service.

In case you don’t know - heading from the pool towards the buffet you will see glass lifts either side. Take the right hand lift up to deck 18. When you step out you will probably already see loads of spare loungers, but head all the way to the front of the ship for extra comfy loungers.

You will have a great trip!

Edited by Bucket List Ticked
  • Thanks 1

Sailed out of Barcelona September 2019, 3 couples.  3 nights precruise in Barcelona,  3 nights Paris, 3 nights London.  Trip of a lifetime.  Was our second time on Epic and would gladly sail her again.

• Thanks 1

Been on The Epic twice, once in the Caribbean and once in The Med out of Barcelona. Great time both times.

Do spend a few extra days in Barcelona! Amazing city

In my opinion no need to spend big bucks for The Haven as this is a very port intensive cruise so you spend very little time on board.  We only saw one show as we were always so exhausted from our excursions and had to get up early each day we would have a nice dinner than a night cap in one of the many bars listening to the singer or guitar player then go crash for the night!

But on our Caribbean cruise we did experience nightlife every night and enjoyed it all!  Howl at the Moon was great

We had a balcony cabin which was just fine, gave us plenty of room and the opportunity to have our balcony for sail aways or sailing into port.

Really enjoy the included adult only H2O, yes sea day was crowded but it was nice to have this option and not have to pay for the Vibe.

• Thanks 1

The Epic was our first cruise into Europe/Med area.  We had no complaints about the ship itself, or our balcony cabin.  I do suggest making dining reservations before boarding, as certain times book up quickly.  Loved the itinerary, Barcelona was great, and we needed a vacation from our vacation, as we were exhausted by the end of the cruise!

• Thanks 1