Strong Winds Impact on Itineraries

Misty Morning

Looks like the strong winds and high seas in the Caribbean are having an impact on itineraries.  Wind Surf was in Nevis instead of Montserrat today and is now on its way to its next scheduled stop of St Barth. This may prove to be a challenge again tomorrow as the Legend left St Barth early today and is going directly to Jost Van Dyke instead of Montserrat (which is already a difficult anchor and even more so with the Northeast winds currently blowing vs normal ESE).

The winds are supposed to be easing off a bit starting Tuesday. Wind Surf is headed to the South East Caribbean where conditions are a bit better. Hopefully the winds and seas will have calmed down before she heads back West toward Columbia and Panama.

I have done several Windstar cruises to the Caribbean this time of year and the joke has always been “I wonder where the ship will actually end up tomorrow “. Be flexible and know the ship will always adapt to the winds in order to be able to dock or tender and keep everyone safe.

This past week on the Legend, the ports were all visited on different days from the original itinerary.  Captain Sten, also known “it’s me again”, rearranged ports to avoid bad weather and rough seas.  Even though we did have some rain and rolling seas, the cruise was good.  

• 1 month later...

On our Jan 4 to 18 Legend cruise the first week was pretty much as advertised. The second week I'm not sure we hit any port as scheduled. We pulled into St. Maartin and left a couple of hours later, to protect the ship. Bad wind and really rough seas the week of Jan 11. We must have been on the same cruise as Redtravel, above.

Edited by MRGACRUZR