Wind Surf - May 2020

Mr Astro

Hello, all.

We just booked a cruise with Windstar on the Surf.  An 8 day/10 night Rome return with the Monaco GP in the middle (happy face).  This is my first Windstar cruise and we are both very excited about it but we'd like to know a bit more about the ship and its routine.  I know, by way of Windstar's web page that the ship has recently undergone a significant re-fit but so far I'm unable to get any other info about the refit.  Notwithstanding that, I'd very much like to hear about your Wind Surf experiences, good or bad.

We will be on this cruise, also! So glad you posted today as I haven’t seen a roll call or any other posts for this year’s Monaco Grand Prix Cruise.  There are a few recent threads with information about the Surf’s renovation. And a roll call for last year’s Monaco cruise (on the Star Pride) as well as a Cruise Critic review of that cruise because CC editor Carolyn was on the cruise. And don’t forget the Netflix Formula One series. Season one is available from last year and season two is coming out in early March.  This will be a great cruise, can’t wait!

On 1/13/2020 at 7:19 PM, TakingFlight said:

We will be on this cruise, also! So glad you posted today as I haven’t seen a roll call or any other posts for this year’s Monaco Grand Prix Cruise.  There are a few recent threads with information about the Surf’s renovation. And a roll call for last year’s Monaco cruise (on the Star Pride) as well as a Cruise Critic review of that cruise because CC editor Carolyn was on the cruise. And don’t forget the Netflix Formula One series. Season one is available from last year and season two is coming out in early March.  This will be a great cruise, can’t wait!

Thanks for the response, perhaps we could start a roll call.  One poster sent a link to some photos and reports on the re-fit that don't look nice but I've paid my bucks and I'm on my way no matter what.  I went to the Canadian GP a few years back and had a blast.  Going to Monte Carlo is kind of a Mecca for F1 enthusiasts.  I did see the Netflix series and enjoyed it completely.  Perhaps we'll run into each other on the ship.

We just returned on Saturday from our second cruise on the Windsurf and had a blast! I'll be writing a review soon and happy to provide the link. The crew is second to none-period! Yes there are some more physical improvements to be made IMO and the Surf is showing its age in some spots. I posted a video of the new lounge and it looks quite nice compared to a year ago. We plan to sail on the Surf again next year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Astro said:

I would very much like that link when you've done your review and would love to see your video of the ship.  

Here’s the video of the lounge. I’ll get my review wrapped up this weekend and post the link here. I never made it to the spa but the new location of it is much better and I understand it’s larger than the prior spa. 

8331238D-D657-480A-B972-3C433220E8FD.jpeg

1 hour ago, minidonuts85 said:

Here’s the video of the lounge. I’ll get my review wrapped up this weekend and post the link here. I never made it to the spa but the new location of it is much better and I understand it’s larger than the prior spa. 

8331238D-D657-480A-B972-3C433220E8FD.jpeg

I cannot view any of the videos or files you have posted.

• 1 month later...

No, but their own website said they would not allow anyone on board that has passed through or have come from (a variety of countries), and Italy.  This ship arrives and departs from Rome.  The itinerary goes to northern Italy as well.  I will know for sure of its cancellation on Friday.

Furthermore, I have grave doubts that the Monaco F1 race will be held at all.  That was the major driver in my decision to go on the cruise.

Just got this email from WS. It’s long but they address the Italy itineraries.

“We recognize that we are all in uncharted territory, trying to make sense of multiple news sources and advisories on the threat and spread of coronavirus, and thinking about how we can protect ourselves, our families, our friends. We want to share with you what actions we are taking as a company to maximize the health and safety of our guests and crew in this ever-changing environment. We realize that this situation is causing widespread disruption to travel, and we are working to mitigate the negative effects on our guests.

Our team at Windstar is working diligently to plan ahead and keep you informed. Because the situation with the spread of the virus is fluid, we must be flexible, and as usual, resourceful. When the outbreak was first announced over a month ago, we immediately put into place a robust pre-cruise screening process for guests and crew to protect everyone onboard. We are not allowing anyone to board a ship who in the past 30 days has traveled from or through a country that is at “Level 3” as determined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

We also made the decision that we will not visit a port subject to a CDC Level 3 travel advisory. Itineraries will be adjusted where possible and cruises cancelled if necessary.

We have implemented changes to our booking policies to give you confidence to book with us knowing that your hard-earned vacation dollars will not be lost. Please read details on our new Travel Assurance Policy where you can cancel up to 15 days before departure.

Destination Italy:

At this time, we are working on plans to address the outbreak in Italy. We are preparing to redeploy our yachts currently scheduled to sail out of Italian ports through mid-June and relocate them to other areas in the Mediterranean region that are not under a Level 3 or higher advisory. We will be communicating with all guests affected by the changes to our ship itineraries over the coming days.

We are not adjusting our 2020 Italy itineraries past June at this time because we believe the situation in Italy may improve over the next 90 days and the level of travel warning could go down once the coronavirus has run its course. We will keep our guests informed as our plans evolve.

Actions we are engaged in to promote safe travel:

On board our ships, we are reminding guests to take appropriate precautions to maintain a safe and healthy atmosphere, as follows:

Wash your hands with soap and hot water regularly for at least 20 seconds throughout the day, especially before eating and after using the restroom.

Use hand sanitizer immediately upon returning to the ship. You will find it placed near the point of embarkation for your convenience.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.

Working together, we will minimize the risk of any illness. Please read the attached FAQs to learn more about steps we’ve taken to ensure we continue to provide a healthy environment while sailing on our small yachts with fewer than 350 guests. For more information on COVID-19, please visit the websites of the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

We hope to welcome you aboard one of our beautiful small yachts for a signature Windstar experience this year.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Along with others, I got the email from Windstar, too.  We will see what they have to say but on Friday (13th!) I'm told to expect a note from our travel agent (Travel with Alan) regarding what plans are being put in place.  I still have concerns that the F1 race itself will be cancelled.

As of 09:55 PDT today (13th) the Australian F1 race has been cancelled, the Bahrain and Vietnam races are postponed  and that the F1 series may not start until Baku in June.  

My source is Autosport.com

What next?

SEATTLE, WA, March 12, 2020 – Small ship cruise operator Windstar Cruises announced today that the company will temporarily suspend operations worldwide for cruises embarking March 14 through April 30, 2020 due to the unpredictable environment surrounding the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.

“After much thought, we believe we are making the most responsible decision we can during this coronavirus pandemic,” said Christopher Prelog, chief operating officer of Windstar Cruises. “This worldwide pause in the operation of our fleet of small ships is an effort to curb the spread of the virus and keep our guests, crew and the communities we visit, safe and healthy. We look forward to resuming operations again on May 1 with a return to offering our 180 degrees from ordinary vacation experience.”

Windstar will temporarily suspend operations of all sailings embarking on March 14 through April 30, 2020. Cruises will begin operating again according to schedule on May 1, 2020.

Windstar Cruises regrets the cancellation of travelers’ vacations. Guests on cancelled cruises will receive the choice of a Future Cruise Credit valued at 125% of all monies paid to Windstar Cruises or a refund equal to the amount paid on the Windstar booking. Guests will have 24 months to book and embark on any available Windstar cruise using their Future Cruise Credit. Windstar Cruises will protect Travel Advisor commissions on the affected bookings.

Windstar’s reservations team is reviewing all affected bookings and will send a letter outlining details to guests and travel advisors with canceled cruises. The reservations team appreciates the patience and understanding of guests and travel advisors as they work through this process.

The staff, executives, officers and crew at Windstar Cruises look forward to hosting travelers again this spring aboard its fleet of six small yachts carrying 148 to 342 guests in scenic and cultural destinations around the world.

Formula1.com says that racing may begin “at the end of May”. The only race at the end of May is the Monaco Grand Prix. I can understand why they would attempt to keep Monaco on the schedule as it is the premier Formula One race on the circuit. If the outlook for CoVid-19, cruising, and travel in general improves by May, Windstar could very well operate the May 20 sailing. That’s a lot of variables but I choose to remain optimistic about the future, while understanding that it may take more time to return to pre-Coronavirus, carefree travel planning.

The Monaco Grand Prix has officially been postponed. Now we wait and see what Windstar will do for those of us on the Rome/Monaco GP Cruise. I would prefer to cancel and would not be receptive to an alternate itinerary. Of course, this is a moot point if Windstar does not resume operations in the Med in May.

And now the Monaco Grand Prix has been cancelled (instead of postponed). I do not want an alternate itinerary this year and I doubt that Windstar would match the price I paid for this year's sailing. Next's year's sailing is significantly more expensive and I received some generous discounts on this year's sailing. If they match the price I paid, then next year is a possibility, however my husband is not as eager to go next year as he was this year. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Received this from Windstar regarding our Monaco Grand Prix cruise:

We are writing to provide you with the latest information on itinerary changes that have resulted from the COVID-19 pandemic. As you may have already heard, the organizers of the 78th Monaco Grand Prix 2020 have announced the event has been cancelled due to the global spread of the coronavirus. As a result, our cruise featuring the world-class experience has also been cancelled for this year.

We imagine you are as disappointed as we are so we have taken the extraordinary step of moving your booking to the Monaco Grand Prix Cruise in 2021.  We don’t want you to miss the thrill and glamor of attending this premier Formula 1 event and knowing that there is limited space on this sailing, we are guaranteeing there is room for you as our valued guest.

But that’s not all. We are further protecting you by honoring the price of your planned 2020 sailing – there will be no price increase – and we are providing a $300 per person onboard credit to further enhance your experience.

You may have to wait a bit, but you will have the opportunity next year to check out the cars, hear the roar of the engines and feel the excitement as you sit back in the comfort of your exclusive premium grandstand seat to watch this prestigious race. We very much look forward to sharing this extraordinary experience with you in May 2021.

We are providing you with two options for handling your Grand Prix booking:

Option #1           As mentioned above, we have moved all 2020 bookings onto the 2021 Grand Prix cruise.

All current payments are transferred to the 2021 booking and the price on the booking is protected at the 2020 rate.

Guests whose booking is transferred to the 2021 sailing will receive a complimentary $300 per person Promo Shipboard Credit that can be used toward the following services while onboard:

·         Onboard purchases of Shore Excursions

·         Beverage Packages or individual alcoholic drinks

·         Gift Shop purchases

·         Spa services

The shipboard credit will be applied to your shipboard account.

Page 2

2020 Grand Prix Voyage

Subject:           Rescheduling of your Monaco Grand Prix Cruise to 2021 sailing

Should you not be able to travel with us on the iconic 2021 Grand Prix voyage you will be able to select option #2.

Option #2            Guests can cancel their booking and receive a 100% refund of the money paid on the booking.

With the high volume of booking changes due to the coronavirus outbreak, refunds may take up to eight weeks to be processed.

To assure good communications and to provide you with an efficient means of advising us which option you want to select, please click the link below to provide us with your response. Please respond by April 30, 2020.

Just need to hope we get help from the airlines!!

I received the email yesterday from Windstar. My husband surprised me with his renewed interest in going next year so we are seriously considering the offer. We got a really good deal on the cruise that I know will never happen again. They put all the passengers in the same cabins they booked this year (in my case a 3 category upgrade-yay!) and I was told that we would retain whatever booking perks we had on the original booking as well as the new OBC. The agent I spoke with couldn’t verify that I’d retain the prepaid gratuities from pick your perk so I need to call back in a few days to get the details. I think that Wind Star really stepped up to the plate with this generous offer.