Great Stirrup Cay...or maybe not?

kelship

Cruising in April, one of my ports is GSC, but I gather our chances are about 50/50 that we will actually make it there.

If you were scheduled to go to Great Stirrup Cay but couldn't, where'd you end up? Another sea day? Different port? If it was a different port, was there a chance to find an excursion or is it more of a last minute play-by-ear scenario? 

Thanks in advance!

It depends on many factors, not a simple answer - ship, sailing date & itinerary; and, whether the "nearby" port is available (i.e. Nassau during busy period, school holidays, etc. can be booked full) that the ship can sail to.

Sometimes, those on the ship/bridge won't know for sure whether they can safely stop, drop anchor & run tender until the morning of scheduled arrival - making it too late to "salvage" the rest of the day.  Scrambling to arrange any kind of shorex by the ship and/or on one's own, not as easy or simple. 

If Nassau is your next stop that can increase the odds of you going there early, but still need to wait for a berth so it likely wouldn't be until later in the day. 

My guess is that the majority of the time it becomes a sea day. There's just not enough alternative options close enough as most cancellations are last minute due to conditions.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:20 PM, kelship said:

Cruising in April, one of my ports is GSC, but I gather our chances are about 50/50 that we will actually make it there.

If you were scheduled to go to Great Stirrup Cay but couldn't, where'd you end up? Another sea day? Different port? If it was a different port, was there a chance to find an excursion or is it more of a last minute play-by-ear scenario? 

Thanks in advance!

The last two times we had scheduled stops at GSC we were diverted to Nassau.  The first time we didn't get there until around 3p, the second time it was closer to 1p.

• Like 1

We had just come from Nassau and GSC was the last port before returning to Port Canaveral, so it became a sea day.  No great loss. 

Edited by tef43

1 hour ago, Beer Belly said:

If they get into Nassau early, I imagine you can get off the ship and enjoy the extra time there ?

Yes, they let you off.  More recent sailings seem to be getting there a bit earlier per reports but anything possible.  Our sailing got there at 6 just in time for most things close by to be closed.  But hey, there's always Senor Frogs.

I am 1 for 3 in January. The first miss was the last day of the cruise and turned into a sea day. The second miss we were scheduled to go to Nassau the next day so we were lucky enough to overnight there. Got in around 1pm and didn't leave until about 5pm the next day.

15 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Yes, they let you off.  More recent sailings seem to be getting there a bit earlier per reports but anything possible.  Our sailing got there at 6 just in time for most things close by to be closed.  But hey, there's always Senor Frogs.

9 minutes ago, cmurchake said:

I am 1 for 3 in January. The first miss was the last day of the cruise and turned into a sea day. The second miss we were scheduled to go to Nassau the next day so we were lucky enough to overnight there. Got in around 1pm and didn't leave until about 5pm the next day.

1 pm would be awesome, still a little time to hit the sand. Later in the evening hours, are there any security concerns ?

1 minute ago, Beer Belly said:

1 pm would be awesome, still a little time to hit the sand. Later in the evening hours, are there any security concerns ?

Nassau even during the day, yes.  At night even more so.

GSC was the only port we planned to get off at so we did get off ship at 6 as did many others. Walked through vacant downtown and back towards ship.  Had drugged up Mary tell us to tell ladies she sent us for hair braiding as she followed us back to ship.  It was dark and the raiders were long gone.  As an aside, would never let family get hair braids there.

28 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Nassau even during the day, yes.  At night even more so.

GSC was the only port we planned to get off at so we did get off ship at 6 as did many others. Walked through vacant downtown and back towards ship.  Had drugged up Mary tell us to tell ladies she sent us for hair braiding as she followed us back to ship.  It was dark and the raiders were long gone.  As an aside, would never let family get hair braids there.

So, carry as little cash as possible, leave the backpack on the ship, bare minimum, leave nothing on the beach as you hit the water at any time ?

Edited by Beer Belly

Going on the Breakaway in April, planned ports are GSC, Nassau, GSC....By the looks of this thread, I might as well taken the Bermuda cruise out of NYC and saved airfare!  Either way, I would prefer a sea day rather than an extra day in Nassau.....but as long as the drinks are flowing, and the weather is nice, who cares? You're on a cruise! Enjoy it!