first alaskan cruise

a.madruga

Ketchikan: Totem Bight gets you out of the "city", to walk in the woods and see bald eagles in abundance, even if you don't care one way or the other about totems. The forest is appealing and unlike Florida City! If you do have any interest in indigent culture, I recommend a tour that includes Saxman Village from Sourdough Tours (ask for Norman).

Be prepared for rain, Ketchikan gets a lot of it. There is a funicular (tram) that runs from Creek Street which is above the cruise port; it has never been operating on our three visits, but I keep hoping! The Alaska Fish House (below Creek Street and near the Lumberjack Show) has very good F&C and draft beer.

Juneau: Whale watching.  Just nothing like watching a 33-ton animal propel itself out of the water and side-flop down (breach).

Skagway: Train, recommend train up/bus back. There is a brewpub in town (more fish-n-chips!) and just a cute village.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ketchikan - Crab Fishing on the Aleutian Ballad of "Deadliest Catch" TV show if you like to see lots of eagles and the stories of fishing in the Bering Sea.

image.png.edd281a4cfd0960719b96cf96470a8a5.png

image.png.2c924f7cc1ea3a234a096e7aa1c1ed46.png

Juneau - any whale watching.

image.png.6aa944851952f3d36a36a24bdc6eab2b.png

Skagway - Dogsledding in the snow:

image.png.9518b1bfd74b32af5e9e9bef6c35818e.png

Skagway - Awesome van ride up to Emerald Lake/Carcross with Dyea Dave Tours then back to Fraser to pick up the White Pass & Yukon Route to Skagway. View of the scenery is superb.

NXGS7KH.jpg

HEwQTIV.jpg

IXjC2un.jpg

NXGS7KH.jpg

https://vimeo.com/345258416  About a 4 minute video of part of the 40 minutes on the train

Juneau - Suggest whale watch and tram ride. We viewed Mendenhall Glacier on the ride to the dock.

GYbneeN.jpg

9lWc5xm.jpg

0Ohv7NO.jpg

Ketchikan - If you want more beautiful scenery feast your eyes on a flight seeing tour with Island Wings.

ZmOlbzb.jpg

otxgC8o.jpg

On 1/13/2020 at 8:33 PM, crystalspin said:

Ketchikan: Totem Bight gets you out of the "city", to walk in the woods and see bald eagles in abundance, even if you don't care one way or the other about totems. The forest is appealing and unlike Florida City! If you do have any interest in indigent culture, I recommend a tour that includes Saxman Village from Sourdough Tours (ask for Norman).

Be prepared for rain, Ketchikan gets a lot of it. There is a funicular (tram) that runs from Creek Street which is above the cruise port; it has never been operating on our three visits, but I keep hoping! The Alaska Fish House (below Creek Street and near the Lumberjack Show) has very good F&C and draft beer.

Juneau: Whale watching.  Just nothing like watching a 33-ton animal propel itself out of the water and side-flop down (breach).

Skagway: Train, recommend train up/bus back. There is a brewpub in town (more fish-n-chips!) and just a cute village.

thanks again we can't wait

• Like 1

Not sure this was in the original question, but since it came up, the Gold Digger restaurant has become my favorite dining out place, in Skagway.

Not historic to the gold rush which created this town but great food!

Ask the owner (or his wife) about the origin of the name of their establishment.

They are always on the premises. She works, he regales......

Quite an amusing tale of two people😁

DD

6 hours ago, dyeadave said:

Not sure this was in the original question, but since it came up, the Gold Digger restaurant has become my favorite dining out place, in Skagway.

Not historic to the gold rush which created this town but great food!

Ask the owner (or his wife) about the origin of the name of their establishment.

They are always on the premises. She works, he regales......

Quite an amusing tale of two people😁

DD

Always great to have local recommendations!

Filipino restaurant? So we have Thai and Filipino in Skagway.

Edited by Coral

It depends on what you are into/looking to do. For me I wanted something different with adventure. These two were super highlights/favorites for me  

Juneau - zip lining in the National Forest and then a trip to Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway - boat trip w/canoeing to Davidson Glacier