questions about cruising out of Galveston..

shellster1

Thinking about the 7-day on the Vista the first week of March. The first 2 days are sea days. I'm wondering if I'm risking the weather not being warm enough to use the pools on these days. I know out of Long Beach, it takes time to get far enough south to warm up. Obviously we can't predict the weather, but might someone be able to advise me on this? Also, I would be flying into the Houston-Bush airport. Anyone know how long the drive is to Galveston? Is an Uber possible? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure about how warm the pools will be.  I've lived in Texas all of my life, and it can be warm enough to use a pool in March.  Houston-Bush is a loooong way from Galveston.  Sure, Uber is possible if you're willing to find a driver willing to do it, but it's over an hour away.

Average temps on March 1 for Galveston is 66F

Average temps on March 11 for Galveston is 68F, according to this:

https://weatherspark.com/m/9621/3/Average-Weather-in-March-in-Galveston-Texas-United-States

Distance from IAH to Galveston port is 69.9 mi. Travel time is about 1 hr,  11 min. But I expect it to be longer due to construction on I-45 from north side of Houston to Galveston port. 

If you haven't bought airline tickets you might consider Hobby(HOU):

The nearest airport to Port of Galveston is Houston Hobby International Airport .The distance between them is 42 miles and the trip takes about 30 minutes.

Source: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS757US758&sxsrf=ACYBGNSm2qs8bGGP_OXbZhb2AQhNLIMMKQ:1578969947537&q=Distance+from+IAH+to+Galveston+port&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi2yNW2iYLnAhUQCM0KHWshBAYQBSgAegQIDhAn&biw=1366&bih=663

Uber is probably the most convenient option. We took one from our hotel next to HOU Airport to the port in Galveston and the cost was $38. I imagine it would be a bit more from IAH though. Perhaps check flights on Southwest into HOU as it’s 30 minutes closer to the port?

Edited by cksv

On 1/13/2020 at 11:24 PM, cksv said:

Uber is probably the most convenient option. We took one from our hotel next to HOU Airport to the port in Galveston and the cost was $38. I imagine it would be a bit more from IAH though. Perhaps check flights on Southwest into HOU as it’s 30 minutes closer to the port?

do you know if you can Uber from the Galveston port to our hotel near Hobby without much problems?  We will not be in a hurry to catch a flight so didn’t want to schedule a shuttle.  I wasn’t sure if it would be hard to get one if we are not off the ship right away.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:24 PM, cksv said:

For $38 you must of took an Uber X then right? How many people and how much luggage did you have? Thanks

9 minutes ago, cubbies1980 said:

For $38 you must of took an Uber X then right? How many people and how much luggage did you have? Thanks

Ya it was an Uber X for just my girlfriend and I but up to 4 people can ride for the same price. The cars tend to be compact though so if you have more than two and a lot of luggage it might not be the best option.

58643B25-1699-49D2-AF96-6CA3E849919C.png

Edited by cksv

On 1/13/2020 at 8:19 PM, shellster1 said:

Thinking about the 7-day on the Vista the first week of March. The first 2 days are sea days. I'm wondering if I'm risking the weather not being warm enough to use the pools on these days. I know out of Long Beach, it takes time to get far enough south to warm up. Obviously we can't predict the weather, but might someone be able to advise me on this? Also, I would be flying into the Houston-Bush airport. Anyone know how long the drive is to Galveston? Is an Uber possible? Thanks in advance!

We have cruised out of Galveston in the colder months and in all honesty it really depends on the weather those specific days.  Some days it can be crazy warm and the next couple days it can be freezing.  It is really hard to tell.  It also depends on where the low/high pressure systems are at in the gulf to decide where it will get warm.

With that said we like it HOT when we get in a pool so anything less than 90 to us is not really pool weather.  So if it was us we would focus on May or later.  Our kids on the other hand start swimming in March (we are in Austin and have a pool).  I like the pool temp mid 80's or higher so I don't usually get that until May.