Driving from Heathrow to Dover

Eli_6

Cruising the Fjords out of Dover in June.

We fly in to Heathrow a day before the cruise departs from Dover. We will arrive at 11 a.m. on the red eye so we have approximately 26 hours. Sail time is 5 pm the next day. Probably need to board by 2 or 3.  I was thinking of renting a car, going to Hampton Court and then going to Leeds Castle and staying in the B&B there overnight. I figured we could do Leeds Castle in the morning (since we will already be there), drop off the car in Dover, and then board.

Is this too much?

Last time we went to the UK, we flew in on the red eye, rented a car and then drove to Leicester did the R3 museum and Bosworth Field and then drove to Lincoln all in the first day. I basically didn't sleep on the red eye and was fine during the day, but when I finally went to sleep that evening, I pretty much slept for 14 hours straight and actually slept past check out time in the hotel.  Only reason I woke up was the front desk called me. (I had not set an alarm.) If I had to make the boat, I clearly would.  So long as I make the boat, I figure I can crash and recover on the sea day before we get to the Fjords.

Thoughts? Is this do-able?  

Is it doable? Yes. However, I'd recommend dropping Hampton Court Palace, just because you'll be dealing with London traffic (it's suburban London, but still London) and I'm not sure doing 2 palaces in one day after a TA flight is the best. And confession: I preferred the maze at Leeds Castle. So there.

• Like 1

Well, it is 'doable' but I'd agree it's a bit much. A drive from Heathrow to Dover could take up to 4 hours if there are traffic problems/incidents. As Twickenham suggests, go straight to Leeds Castle, relax and enjoy the visit. Then, if you want, you can stop somewhere else on the way to Dover (Canterbury, Sissinghurst Castle, Chartwell, or even Dover Castle) the next day.

• Like 1

I concur with my learned friends.

Since you're happy that you'll still be buzzing after a red-eye, drive from the airport to visit Leeds Castle.

But I'd say perhaps book accommodation in Canterbury (40 minutes from Leeds Castle) & check the city out next morning before the half-hour drive to Dover.

Or - and this'd be my choice - accommodation in Dover (also 40 mins from Leeds Castle) and visit Dover Castle on cruise morning. If you're completely wiped-out that morning, skip Dover castle. Or if you become wiped-out during the morning you can cut short your visit to Dover castle. Your rental return will only be a few minutes away.

JB :classic_smile: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I could not book Leeds, but I got booked overnight at Hever Castle.  If we are totally wiped out, we can drive in and crash almost immediately and will get halfway to Dover. Leeds is on the way and I found out boarding is 2 pm to 4 pm so we will have the morning.

Edited by Eli_6