Help! Cabin mate seriously injured will have to cancel! What next?

Hope for some answers. My cabin mate had serious injuries to both wrists yesterday to unfortunate 

accident- will have to cancel less than two weeks til our cruise. What happens to her as far as recouping her losses and what

happens to me in cabin- will I be allowed to stay in same cabin- thanks for any answers you may have

1 minute ago, cruisin deb said:

She does have insurance but not thru ship or travel agent

Then she would have to check the policy to ascertain what is covered. We, obviously, can’t tell you that. Have her be a noshow and you will be fine. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, cruisin deb said:

She does have insurance but not thru ship or travel agent

We talking travel insurance by private company booked thru insuremytrip or similar that compares costs and coverage and returns which best that meets your criteria you entered when originally doing pricing?

5 minutes ago, cruisin deb said:

Yes I believe she used insure my trip and ended up with a Travelex policy

Then she will have to contact that insurer and file a claim with them.  The type and limits of coverage will determine her reimbursement from them, but she will get nothing from the cruise line other than those expenditures mentioned previously.  You will be able to maintain your stateroom now as a solo cruiser with no change in fare.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

She should contact Travelex.  Was she the primary on the Royal booking or where you?  Who booked the cruise and did you book direct or through a travel agent?

If you cabinmate  has trip insurance and it covers cancellations, she will have to officially cancel her cruise to be repaid.

You may found yourself on the hook for the single supplement. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

If you cabinmate  has trip insurance and it covers cancellations, she will have to officially cancel her cruise to be repaid.

You may found yourself on the hook for the single supplement. 

Since they already paid for 2 people there would be no single supplement.

• Like 1

This is where you need to contact whoever you booked the cruise and ask some "what if" questions.

"What if my cabin mate can't go, what happens to me?"  No harm in asking the question on a "what if" basis.

Based on what her insurance company tells her to do, you may need to ask again based on her next steps.  If she cancels versus being a no show, if she was the primary on the booking, etc. could result in different outcomes for you.

20 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Check with the cruise line to find out exactly how this impacts your cruise fare if she officially cancels at this late date.

Ourusualbeach (Ken) is correct regarding this. Since any reimbursement would come from a third party insurer, the cruise line remains whole by retaining the full double occupancy fare, and there would not be any impact to the OP's cruise fare as a result of the cancellation. This would also be the case if the cabin mate had no insurance as there would be no refund from the cruise line - they again would remain whole.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

I have a Travelex policy on one of my cruises.  I took a quick glance however in no way did I completely read the policy.

There were requirements in my policy about how soon (e.g., 72 hours) after the event various groups have to be notified, etc. or some benefits are lost.  Insurance companies do not like to pay more than what they would have had to pay if a person acted promptly.

There also tends to be words in policies about whether a reasonable would cancel ("that is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to cancel or interrupt their Trip").

Also, if you also happen to have Travelex,   in my policy (yours may be different) there is a clause about "Single Occupancy Benefit" that might be useful to you.

FYI, the insurance companies sometimes vary coverage by your state of residence.

The insurance companies are very careful about how they write their policies and tend to stick to the letter of the policy.

I don't think anyone (including me) can say what the best course of action is and what will happen without getting deep into the weeds of the problem.  You could go see a lawyer if it is enough money involved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twangster said:

This is where you need to contact whoever you booked the cruise and ask some "what if" questions.

"What if my cabin mate can't go, what happens to me?"  No harm in asking the question on a "what if" basis.

Based on what her insurance company tells her to do, you may need to ask again based on her next steps.  If she cancels versus being a no show, if she was the primary on the booking, etc. could result in different outcomes for you.

Would try to make that inquiry anonymously if possible.  Why put a spotlight on yourself?  Hopefully you booked through ta and they can inquire on your behalf.

26 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Would try to make that inquiry anonymously if possible.  Why put a spotlight on yourself?  Hopefully you booked through ta and they can inquire on your behalf.

Really no harm in an innocent question.  This is a company that struggles to hold their website together and no two CSRs have the same answer.  Do you really think they have a massive database on each customer and they have time to go over notes like "this person called in and said their friend might not be able to cruise".

Edited by twangster

When this exact situation happened to me, I was the one who could not travel because of an illness.  I was required by the insurance company (Allianz) to cancel myself off the cruise and show proof of the refund I received (taxes and port charges).  My claim with them for the cruise was the non-refunded portion.  My roommate was then considered solo in the cabin and the cruise line charged her a solo supplement.  The solo supplement was paid by her insurance company because her policy covered that situation.  The situation in which a person should be no-show instead of cancelling is when the person not going has no insurance or their reason for not going is a non-covered reason.  If they cancel, their roommate becomes solo in the cabin and has to pay the supplement.  If they no-show, the cruise line refunds taxes and port charges and doesn’t charge the roommate a solo supplement.  

Edited by nwcruiselover
  • Like 1

In addition to what I just wrote above, the person who isn’t going needs to cancel as soon as her doctor advises that she is not fit for travel.  The insurance form the doctor has to sign asks when he/she diagnosed the condition and advised the patient not to travel.  The insurance company expects the person to cancel very soon after that, like 1-2 days max.

1 hour ago, nwcruiselover said:

When this exact situation happened to me, I was the one who could not travel because of an illness.  I was required by the insurance company (Allianz) to cancel myself off the cruise and show proof of the refund I received (taxes and port charges).  My claim with them for the cruise was the non-refunded portion.  My roommate was then considered solo in the cabin and the cruise line charged her a solo supplement.  The solo supplement was paid by her insurance company because her policy covered that situation.  The situation in which a person should be no-show instead of cancelling is when the person not going has no insurance or their reason for not going is a non-covered reason.  If they cancel, their roommate becomes solo in the cabin and has to pay the supplement.  If they no-show, the cruise line refunds taxes and port charges and doesn’t charge the roommate a solo supplement.  

I just want to be sure I understand because this seems so unfair.  The cruise line kept your non-refundable portion of the cruise fare AND charged your cabin mate an extra solo supplement? So the cruise line basically received 3 fares and there was only one passenger. Wow, that is crazy.

4 minutes ago, luv2sailAgain said:

I just want to be sure I understand because this seems so unfair.  The cruise line kept your non-refundable portion of the cruise fare AND charged your cabin mate an extra solo supplement? So the cruise line basically received 3 fares and there was only one passenger. Wow, that is crazy.

Yes, that’s exactly the way it worked.  That’s why it’s important for both people in the cabin to have insurance.  

• Like 1