Mobile pocket wifi rental in Japan

chrob

We will be in Japan for 6 days prior to our Celebrity cruise and for a few days afterwards and so we are planning to rent a mobile pocket wifi router so that we have unlimited data on our devices. Would this also work whilst onboard the ship when cruising around Japan to give us wifi access or would we need to purchase the ships wifi?

If so, which company/network would you recommend?

Two of the largest/best/popular network in Japan is NTT-Docomo and SoftBank, along with others and they offer MiFi router rentals - easiest to reserve online in advance, pickup on arrival at the airport or they can ship ahead to hold for pickup at the hotel where you will be staying at.  End of rental period, postage-paid mailer included to drop into mailbox & return to them easily (flying - return them at the airport kiosk/counter)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2707288-data-sim-card-for-japan/?tab=comments#comment-58695491

Generally speaking, cellular signal will work onboard as long as your location (balcony/stateroom) is within range of nearest land tower, typically 2 to 3 miles from land - but at sea/international waters - ship's own WiFi and cellular roaming tower will switch on & overwhelm land signals ... thus, you will be without MiFi services until reaching the next port stop.  

P.S. Do get and carry a good rechargeable USB power bank as the portable router's internal battery won't last all day into the evening.  

Edited by mking8288

We used NinjaWifi last year based on a review on TokyoCheapo.  Their article appears  to have been updated Nov 2019 and has a summary of different pocket wifi options. 

NinjaWifi seems to use Softbank's network.  Use the link off the TokyoCheapo website for an instant promo/discount code and deselect the insurance option to save a few yen.  We picked up the device at Narita and dropped off at Haneda airport.  No usage problems and did what I needed it to do.  The device I got was a small pager sized unit.  It did require a midday charge or battery pack to function all day though.  

18 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I used Skyroam in Japan, other countries in Asia and basically all over the world.

Thank you for the information. I never heard of

Skyroam but did some research and promptly

ordered the Skyroam Solis Lite. I will go with

the “Pay-Per-GB GoData” plan on my upcoming

cruise. 

1 hour ago, SirWolf said:

Thank you for the information. I never heard of

Skyroam but did some research and promptly

ordered the Skyroam Solis Lite. I will go with

the “Pay-Per-GB GoData” plan on my upcoming

cruise. 

I use it with day passes. Which I prefer over the monthly fee.

So when I need it (on vacation) I pay, if I don´t use it for months, I doesn´t cost me anything.

BTW: it is cellular based. So it won´t work far out at sea. However, especially in Japan, cruising around the islands, I was surprised about the coverage. 

Edited by Miaminice

5 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I use it with day passes. Which I prefer over the monthly fee.

So when I need it (on vacation) I pay, if I don´t use it for months, I doesn´t cost me anything.

BTW: it is cellular based. So it won´t work far out at sea. However, especially in Japan, cruising around the islands, I was surprised about the coverage. 

Thanks again for the details. Skyroam offers a bundle “Solis Lite and 12 months of date / 1GB per month”. I have to add GB for data usage as needed. We cruise from Dubai to Tokyo with 23 days in ports or on land (including pre-cruise Dubai and post-cruise Tokyo). Depending on our usage I may add some day passes.