Cruise Critic Community
tahtah

Paid Internet & No Free Diamond Day ???

My husband and I returned from an eight-night trip on the Adventure of the Seas on Sunday; he purchased internet for the time we were away for one device. I successfully was able to access my free Diamond internet day; however, when my husband tried to log-on and get his free day, he could not. He inquired at the Zoom desk and was told that Diamond members were not allowed to have a free day if they purchased internet. When we asked when this policy was implemented, we were told that it has always been in place. But, that has not been the case on other cruises that we have taken. Has anyone else had a problem?

Just now, tahtah said:

He inquired at the Zoom desk and was told that Diamond members were not allowed to have a free day if they purchased internet.

The issue is with the way that the account you create with Voom is tied to your individual name.  It won't allow you to associate multiple Voom purchases to an individual.  If you pre-purchase Voom then it shows up already when you first create your account.  The only real way around it is to not pre-purchase the plan and just use the free Diamond day to offset the cost of the plan when you board.

17 minutes ago, tahtah said:

My husband and I returned from an eight-night trip on the Adventure of the Seas on Sunday; he purchased internet for the time we were away for one device. I successfully was able to access my free Diamond internet day; however, when my husband tried to log-on and get his free day, he could not. He inquired at the Zoom desk and was told that Diamond members were not allowed to have a free day if they purchased internet. When we asked when this policy was implemented, we were told that it has always been in place. But, that has not been the case on other cruises that we have taken. Has anyone else had a problem?

The new login system doesn't allow the coupon to be used if you purchased a package.  I have read that someone was able to have the coupon moved to their spouses account so they could use it.  We have yet to try this but will be trying on our Freedom cruise.  We have always purchased a Voom package for one of us and the other has used the coupons.  Will see if we can get it moved.

19 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The new login system doesn't allow the coupon to be used if you purchased a package.  I have read that someone was able to have the coupon moved to their spouses account so they could use it.  We have yet to try this but will be trying on our Freedom cruise.  We have always purchased a Voom package for one of us and the other has used the coupons.  Will see if we can get it moved.

When was the new system put in place? 

Just now, LilBlackDress said:

Varies by ship.  It was over a year ago on Allure.

1 minute ago, LilBlackDress said:

No idea.  I think it is ship dependent.  

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Varies by ship.  It was over a year ago on Allure.

25 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

No idea.  I think it is ship dependent.  

When we were on Adventure 2/19 I had a package for 3 (DS. BiL and myself) I was able to use 2 days on DHs phone with no issues 
Guess I will see if we can do the same or not on Serenade in March 

Just now, LilBlackDress said:

When we were on Adventure 2/19 I had a package for 3 (DS. BiL and myself) I was able to use 2 days on DHs phone with no issues 
Guess I will see if we can do the same or not on Serenade in March 

We sailed Anthem 1/19 and it had old login.  We sailed again 12/19, it had new.  We didn't bother to try to use our coupons as we had free Voom with our suite.

Serenade had old login when we sailed 10/19.  Harmony also had old 5/19. 

Will see in a couple of weeks on Mariner.

1 hour ago, tahtah said:

He inquired at the Zoom desk and was told that Diamond members were not allowed to have a free day if they purchased internet.

Like the land based CSRs, you could get a different answer depending on who you ask. I think. @twangster has the answer on this. 

Just this morning on Anthem I visited the Voom desk and had my prepaid Surf & stream 1 device plan converted to 2 devices using my D+ CAS days.  It's day 10 of an 11 night cruise so all day today and tomorrow I have a 2 device Surf and Stream plan.  

This method also worked on Empress, Majesty, Vision and Oasis.  

On Oasis I was a B3B.  On the first cruise the Voom girl said no problem, done (on day 6 of 7 night).  On cruise 2 the Voom guy said no, can't be done so I went back later when the Voom girl was on shift and no problem.  On cruise 3 the same Voom guy said no problem, done.  Apparently someone corrected his mistake and he was told to do it.  

FWIW I wasn't the first one to do this today.  

Edited by twangster

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We sailed Anthem 1/19 and it had old login.  We sailed again 12/19, it had new.  We didn't bother to try to use our coupons as we had free Voom with our suite.

Serenade had old login when we sailed 10/19.  Harmony also had old 5/19. 

Will see in a couple of weeks on Mariner.

0n Serenade now and it is the new system.  I am going to ask internet desk to put my D+ days onto wife's account. So with her login we should get 4 days free internet.

We were also on the Adventure last week, and on Friday (day 6 of 8), I went to the Voom desk and he converted my one device plan to two for the remainder of the cruise, allowing me to use both my prepaid wifi package and my two free Diamond Plus days.  Guess it does really depend on who you ask. 

1 hour ago, frank808 said:

0n Serenade now and it is the new system.  I am going to ask internet desk to put my D+ days onto wife's account. So with her login we should get 4 days free internet.

That's different.  Let us know how it goes.  If they shoot you down have them added to yours then on those days she can be your second device.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

That's different.  Let us know how it goes.  If they shoot you down have them added to yours then on those days she can be your second device.

That worked for me on Allure and Symphony.  

56 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That worked for me on Allure and Symphony.  

With a prepaid plan on the new system you were able to have them transfer your D or D+ CAS Voom days to your wife’s account?

I am impressed.  Great to know.  Did she get Surf or Surf and Stream as a result?

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

With a prepaid plan on the new system you were able to have them transfer your D or D+ CAS Voom days to your wife’s account?

I am impressed.  Great to know.  Did she get Surf or Surf and Stream as a result?

Just surf. Coukd be upgraded for the difference. 

On Oasis 12/1 sailing, I went to the voom desk to transfer my free day to my mom’s account. She did not purchase a package. It was surf only no stream.

I could not transfer the free photo because I wasn’t in the picture and she was in another cabin.

Edited by Tee & Chilli

Just off Jewel, no problems moving my free internet coupon to my wife account - done on a day by day basis.

17 hours ago, frank808 said:

I usually use my wife's D+ coupon for the free 2 days beginning on the 2nd day of cruising.  I then use my D+ 2 days $ value to apply to the number of days remaining in  a 7 nite internet package.