Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
new_cruiser

Taxi or guide recommendations

Recommended Posts

We will be anchored at Anse Mitan, not Fort de France. 

I'd like to visit Habitation Clement and Jardin de Balata. 

 

Any recommendations for a taxi service or guide to take us to these places?

 

Since the garden is North of Fort de France, should we go from the garden to Fort de France and then take the ferry back to Anse Mitan from there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

We will be anchored at Anse Mitan, not Fort de France. 

I'd like to visit Habitation Clement and Jardin de Balata. 

 

Any recommendations for a taxi service or guide to take us to these places?

 

Since the garden is North of Fort de France, should we go from the garden to Fort de France and then take the ferry back to Anse Mitan from there?

 

Suggestions

Easy to take a taxi to Jardin, nice to take lunch there, then to the Distillery by another taxi.  Plenty available.

Clement is an interesting but sanitised tour.  Consider La Favorite, more authentic (stepping back in time when everything was, and still is, a hand made process).  Plus bigger pours, and ability to pick up a bottle of La Filbuste 1994 at an excellent price.

Then taxi back to ship from the Distillery of choice (easier and less hastle).

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

 

Suggestions

Easy to take a taxi to Jardin, nice to take lunch there, then to the Distillery by another taxi.  Plenty available.

Clement is an interesting but sanitised tour.  Consider La Favorite, more authentic (stepping back in time when everything was, and still is, a hand made process).  Plus bigger pours, and ability to pick up a bottle of La Filbuste 1994 at an excellent price.

Then taxi back to ship from the Distillery of choice (easier and less hastle).

Thanks for the tip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps I should have mentioned that we would be there on Sunday. Taxis were very scarce. There were none when we arrived at Anse Mitan. The tourist desk had a very short list of numbers to call. The first couple weren't available, the next said they would be there in 10 minutes; didn't show & when I called again said he wasn't coming. 

 

We got instructions from the garden on a bus we could take from Fort de France, but no info on schedule. We took the ferry to Forte de France and decided to check there for a taxi before looking for the bus. The first two were only interested if they could get a group of 8 passengers. As we were leaving another driver said he would take us. 

 

He took us back to Anse Mitan. He wanted to take us back to Fort de France, but it was getting close to the time for the last ferry & we preferred to go straight back. We had to negotiate quite a bit on price. It worked out for him because there was a couple wanting to go to Fort de France when he dropped us off.

 

With all the time it took us to find transport, we didn't go to Clement (La Favorite wasn't open).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

Perhaps I should have mentioned that we would be there on Sunday. Taxis were very scarce. There were none when we arrived at Anse Mitan. The tourist desk had a very short list of numbers to call. The first couple weren't available, the next said they would be there in 10 minutes; didn't show & when I called again said he wasn't coming. 

 

We got instructions from the garden on a bus we could take from Fort de France, but no info on schedule. We took the ferry to Forte de France and decided to check there for a taxi before looking for the bus. The first two were only interested if they could get a group of 8 passengers. As we were leaving another driver said he would take us. 

 

He took us back to Anse Mitan. He wanted to take us back to Fort de France, but it was getting close to the time for the last ferry & we preferred to go straight back. We had to negotiate quite a bit on price. It worked out for him because there was a couple wanting to go to Fort de France when he dropped us off.

 

With all the time it took us to find transport, we didn't go to Clement (La Favorite wasn't open).

 

Sunday arrival at AM would have given a totally different reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...