Take the kids to Alaska or Not?

CharmCity2000

We have been on numerous Caribbean cruises.  We love the relaxation and easy pace.  My oldest will be 14 in the summer and is asking to go on an Alaskan Cruise.  When I ask her what she wants to do there, she says ski.  Okay, so she needs some weather lessons 🙂. I talked to her about whale watching, seeing the glaciers, and the wildlife.  It was met with blank stares and a parting comment to pick a good ship so she would have something to do on those days.  She did like the idea of kayaking one day.

We'd be flying in from the east coast.  As we all know, this is not an inexpensive vacation.  If all the kids are going to do is keep their noses in their devices and enjoy the amenities of the ship, is it worth it to go?  If you've taken a sullen teen to Alaska did they eventually come around?  Or would you have been better off doing something else?  For the record, my kids hate sightseeing.  They enjoy being fully engaged and active.  Listening to a park ranger talk will cause their devices to find their way to their hands; as will sitting in a railway car watching the scenery go by.  So should I plan a cruise to Alaska or wait until they will appreciate it more.

They do snorkel in Ketchikan! So not ski......

I say yes, but you have to spend money on the excursions (and they are more expensive than the Caribbean). I don't advise just walking off the ship and getting excursions that way. There are a ton of very cool excursions in Alaska that are meant for young, active people which is so weird as tons of seniors go to Alaska every year.

Things a teen would like - the Deadliest Catch excursion in Ketchikan, taking a helicopter and land on a glacier, ice trekking, dog mushing on a glacier, whale watching, taking a flight to see bears, hiking, etc...

Involve your kids in decision planning. Save money for the excursions (eat out less now, maybe skip one Caribbean cruise to save money for this). I wish I had gone to Alaska when I was younger as there are so many cool things to do.

Obviously we don't know your kids, but from what you've said, I woudln't take them to Alaska.

Alaska is all about the scenery, whether you're on a small boat excursion, dog sledding on a glacier, kayaking, or whatever.  They weren't interested in anything you suggested so leave them at home.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Obviously we don't know your kids, but from what you've said, I woudln't take them to Alaska.

Alaska is all about the scenery, whether you're on a small boat excursion, dog sledding on a glacier, kayaking, or whatever.  They weren't interested in anything you suggested so leave them at home.  

Though - technically, if someone mentioned glacier to me when I was 14 or under, I wouldn't know exactly what they meant either. Remember, we only had 3 channels growing up on tv 🙂

Edited by Coral

17 minutes ago, Coral said:

Though - technically, if someone mentioned glacier to me when I was 14 or under, I wouldn't know exactly what they meant either. Remember, we only had 3 channels growing up on tv 🙂

I wanted to see mountains when I was a teenager. 

Alaska is expensive- I would leave the kids at home and have fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharmCity2000 said:

If all the kids are going to do is keep their noses in their devices and enjoy the amenities of the ship, is it worth it to go?  If you've taken a sullen teen to Alaska did they eventually come around?  Or would you have been better off doing something else?  For the record, my kids hate sightseeing.  They enjoy being fully engaged and active.  Listening to a park ranger talk will cause their devices to find their way to their hands; as will sitting in a railway car watching the scenery go by.  So should I plan a cruise to Alaska or wait until they will appreciate it more.

LOL, been there done that.  The problem is that there won't be any cell reception or wifi, so even the phones will be bricks.  😨

Alaska cruises are quite port-intensive, and there are many, many activities on shore that can be used to avert boredom.  While most of the cruise lines offer programs for kids and teens, they'll probably be deemed lame or worse, but it might be worth researching.  You might want to look at some cruise lines' excursion/shore options and share it with your kids to see what if anything resonates.    

Without getting into the weeds, how long would you have and what sort of Alaska cruise would you be looking at?  One thing to consider might be a 7-night round trip cruise out of Vancouver combined with a week in the Vancouver area.  Vancouver is a fantastic city for teens, or you could get a car and head up to Whistler, where there are countless activities.  Even skiing - https://www.whistler.com/activities/summer-skiing/

Edited by Gardyloo

1 hour ago, CharmCity2000 said:

When I ask her what she wants to do there, she says ski.

You could skip the cruise and fly up for a winter trip. Stay at Alyeska resort for the skiing: https://www.alyeskaresort.com/ . Come in early March and enjoy the Fur Rondy activities in Anchorage: http://www.furrondy.net/

Just about every shore excursion has a you/tube of it. Have them watch one or two of them. Zip line in ISP and Crab boat in Ketch are two that come to mind. Everyone would like helo to glacier but it does cost as much as Carib cruise. sightcrr

We took our teen when he was just shy of 14, so right around your teens age. Now at the time, he wasn't much into his cell phone, thankfully, although it didn't matter. There is so much to see and do for sure. But no, it's not the relaxing, sitting on a beach Caribbean style vacation. We did pretty much all glacier related excursions, because that's what we wanted to see. And they were all different and amazing. Our son had a blast hiking on one, after our helicopter landed on it. He did something that not many of his friends, if any, have ever done before.

And yes, it's expensive, compared to other cruises. But it's worth it and a chance to see something different. And on our cruise, Carnival, there were a ton of teenagers. And they were pretty much all off the ship during every port, so there isn't much chance to just hang around. We also found that the excursions we did, the guides were very engaging with any kids/teens on the trip. I have my trip report in my signature, so you can read that, since we did take a teenager, at the age you're asking about.

It's good to make kids try new things and push their level of comfort! I say do it and have fun!

Travel is great for jaded teens!  I think I'd have them go research some excursions, so they know what to expect.  Hop onto pretty much any cruise line's shore excursion list, and they'll have pretty much the same things listed for Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway.  Have them look at the list, and help pick out the activities (take a look yourself, and decide on a realistic budget for them to use).  Learning how to do internet research is a great skill, and this is a wonderful way to practice it.

We did a family land trip to Alaska for my milestone birthday in 2007. One of our daughters (in her early 20s then) really didn't want to go. When we told her about the boat ride in Glacier Bay (we stayed two nights there), she said it sounded boring. I won't go into the other comments she made about the trip, but she was not at all enthralled about an expense paid trip to Alaska. She did come since it was my birthday celebration. Since it was a land trip, we told her she could leave after my birthday and didn't have to continue on the trip (she joined us in Juneau and Glacier Bay, that's it). She's now in her late 30s, and although the Alaska trip wasn't one of her favorites, she does say she now realizes how fortunate she was to go on a trip like that.

Obviously, every family is different. I am glad she came on the trip. She saw and did things that widened her horizons and challenged her. FYI - one of the rules in our family is you do not have to have a good time on family vacations or excursions, but you are not allowed to interfere with anyone else's good time. Meaning no complaining or whining. We started that rule when the kids were little, enforced it, and it really worked. There's something to be said about getting out of your comfort zone, although the cost of Alaska may or may not be the place to teach that lesson!

• Like 1

If I had been a teenager when cell phones were popular, and my parents had paid for a trip to Alaska, and I spent my vacation with my nose in a phone, my mother would have thrown my phone overboard without hesitation. Either take them and tell them that they need to be present and involved, or leave them at home with an extensive list of chores and go have fun. I have no idea how anyone, at any age, could have a bad time in Alaska, but I guess everyone is different.

• Like 1

We didn't travel when I was a kid. I had done several Caribbean cruises in my 20's (and later) and somehow ended up with a free 7 night cruise in my early 30's. I choose Alaska "because I would never pay to go there". I really didn't expect to like it but I will take Alaska any day over the Caribbean. Sometimes one doesn't know if they will like something until they have experienced it.

• Like 1

I traveled the Alaskan Highway in the seventies with my parents to Alaska when I was around 14. I loved it and finally made it back via cruise with my husband last year on the Celebrity Solstice. I would love to take our 15 y/o grandson this summer. He loved the Grand Canyon last year and he is a very easy going traveler. I am debating between Celebrity Solstice again and the Emerald Princess. Any thoughts on which is the better ship for Alaska? We prefer sailing out of Seattle. I agree that getting him engaged in the process would help. He has watched the Brent Nixon DVD's on the wildlife and loved them.

Would their phones even work in Alaska? I guess we're spoiled since we're coming from overseas, but I just don't get my son a SIM card when we're traveling and don't get a wifi package. He can use his phone when there's free wifi, but apart from that he has to talk to humans. 

29 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

Would their phones even work in Alaska? I guess we're spoiled since we're coming from overseas, but I just don't get my son a SIM card when we're traveling and don't get a wifi package. He can use his phone when there's free wifi, but apart from that he has to talk to humans. 

Yes - our phones in the US work in the Alaskan ports.

Hello 

This is a difficult question. IMHO it depends on several factors. First is your financial budget for the cost and tours. Look at your budget , and budget everything in including taxes , tips , transportation to and from the ship, airfare, hotel and food at your embarkation port, spending money, drink packages if you need, etc. Tours are expensive in Alaska so please do your research, because just going to a port is not enough. If you can wing the cost of the kids fares, Than I would say look at step two. No sense in getting kids hyped up about a trip you cant afford to bring them on. 

Step 2. Once you have a budget, look at ships and what they have to offer. Princess and Holland America are the companies that have been in Alaska the longest and have a lot of Enrichment programs. Look at the pros and cons of each company you choose. This could be the only time in your life you may be able to go to Alaska. Would you like to go on a ship with a covered swimming pool? Perhaps compromise and get a inside cabin and go up on the high decks to see the scenery. Im doing this in 2021. 

Step 3. Ok you decided the above and you want to bring the kids. I took the Emerald princess to Alaska in 2016. Let me tell you everyone had a great time. Multigenerations were on that ship. The children were so Well behaved you did not know they were there, Especially in the MDR. What would happen if your kids were off the grid for a week? Yes, family time. They have to talk to you. Yes,  they have to learn new things , see new things and see that the world is all about  not on social media. Yes they have to get dressed up for formal night, and practice social graces. All important life skills.  All of this is really good for them. It will change them forever in a positive way. I dont know your children's needs or your preferences. Perhaps talk to others on the boards who have taken kids to Alaska. Its a lot of work on your part to pack and get them ready and to possibly enforce taking them off cell phones and computers , because they wont like it. But, If you can do it ( I wish I could have ) , I would in heart beat. 

Step 4 , Lets do the trip, all of us ! 

Get the kids involved research, on ports , glaciers , packing  and planning. You could have them help you with budgeting part of the trip. Lots to plan for this trip. Getting the house ready to go. The responsibilities of leaving your home , such as house sitters etc. All life skills.Your kids could find odd jobs to save for excursions and spending money. 

I wish you much luck in this tough decision. You tube is a great research tool. Lots of families made videos , so you can see what they did. You Tube  personalities, like Cruise Tips TV and Scott singer have great vlogs. Watch some of them once you decide this is what you want to do. See if the kids will watch too. All of this email is just my honest opinion , I was raised by a educator. So, that is my point of view on travel. Of course all points of view should be considered. 

My son is now 36. In the 80’s and 90’s we traveled to Hawaii, all over the US and Caribbean. Never Alaska. I really regret that. Every family is different. He wouldn’t have been a whiner he would have enjoyed it. So much more to see then the Caribbean. Only you knows your kids. Do they enjoy learning and seeing or do they have to be entertained 24/7. So much of Alaska is setting back and taking in the beauty. Good Luck . 

• Like 1

Alaska is unlike anything your kids have seen (especially living in Maryland).  If you sail to Alaska from Seattle, your family may see (if the weather is clear), Mount Rainier - the tallest mountain in the lower 48 states.  As the ship turns to the north in Puget Sound (now also called the Salish Sea), you will see the snow covered Olympic Mountain chain on the port-side (west), and the Cascade Mountains on the starboard side (east).  And all this is in the first 20 minutes of sailing out of Seattle.

There are whales, bears, eagles and a host of other wildlife viewing opportunities.  Totem poles, rain-forests (Ketchikan), train rides into the Yukon (need passports), Glaciers - all natural wonders.  There is so much to see.

I think if you can afford the cruise, I would do it and hope that the kids see the amazing beauty. 

Be prepared though that if they do fall in love with it, you may find your kids wanting to apply to colleges in Colorado (more mountains), or here in Seattle!  LOL

Good luck!

• Like 2

We did our Alaska cruise in June of 2019.  Before that, we had only done warm weather cruising.  My boys are 13 and 11.  They usually want to do surfing, scuba diving, and snorkeling.  I was worried they were going to hate Alaska.  They didn't love it quite as much as a Hawaiian cruise, but they still liked it.  We went whale watching and they saw Orcas.  They loved watching the glaciers calving off our balcony.  They loved that it didn't get dark until midnight.  Other than that, it was basically the same as any other cruise.  They met friends, they went to the pool, they watched movies at night under the stars, they ate too much ice cream, all the normal things they enjoy on a cruise.  They liked it enough that we're thinking about doing it again this summer and they're excited.

ETA : My 13 year old walked into the room so I asked him if there was anything else.  He said he really enjoyed watching the eagles soar over the ship.  They were everywhere once we got into port.

Edited by atobols
  • Like 1