Sunday ferry from Moorea to Papeete

madera1

We will be staying in Moorea for two nights prior to embarking the Maasdam Sunday March 15. I want to ensure we don’t miss our ship. I would like to leave a Moorea by NOON on the Sunday. Will we find access ok by just arriving at the site or do we need to pre purchase tickets?

• 2 weeks later...

We are going the opposite way on  Sunday May 3rd, 2020. The ship arrives at 10am in Papeete and the next ferry from Papeete to Moorea is the Aremiti 6 at 2:55pm. We have a DIY tour planned from 3:30-6:30pm. The Last ferries out from Moorea back to Papette are at 6:50pm on Aremiti6, 6:45pm on the Aremiti Ferry 2, and 6:50pm on the Terevau ferry. Here's the questions: Do the ferries tend to run on time? With three ferries scheduled to leave around the same time, is it a good change that at least one will be operating on time?   ...My concern is missing the last ferry, or it leaves earlier than scheduled. We can also return form our tour earlier than 6:30pm if you think that's needed.    ...Really want to visit Moorea during this cruise. Is the schedule too tight, or will we be ok?

1 hour ago, FunInTheSun9 said:

We are going the opposite way on  Sunday May 3rd, 2020. The ship arrives at 10am in Papeete and the next ferry from Papeete to Moorea is the Aremiti 6 at 2:55pm. We have a DIY tour planned from 3:30-6:30pm. The Last ferries out from Moorea back to Papette are at 6:50pm on Aremiti6, 6:45pm on the Aremiti Ferry 2, and 6:50pm on the Terevau ferry. Here's the questions: Do the ferries tend to run on time? With three ferries scheduled to leave around the same time, is it a good change that at least one will be operating on time?   ...My concern is missing the last ferry, or it leaves earlier than scheduled. We can also return form our tour earlier than 6:30pm if you think that's needed.    ...Really want to visit Moorea during this cruise. Is the schedule too tight, or will we be ok?

Unfortunately you can expect that the ferry will likely be late. You may board at 2:55 but the ferry might not leave for another 20-40 minutes. or according to the locals it actually can run on time or even be a little early! We usually get on the ferry either direction on time but then wait quite awhile to get going. TBK will let you know of his experience too. But sadly for you guys it seems everything runs on Island time.

I’d still give it a shot- Moorea is too wonderful to miss. 

Do you have a day in Papeete? Not as much to see on Tahiti as there is in Moorea. If you have an overnite in Papeete by chance I’d do it then.

Edited by Petoonya

23 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Unfortunately you can expect that the ferry will likely be late. You may board at 2:55 but the ferry might not leave for another 20-40 minutes. or according to the locals it actually can run on time or even be a little early! We usually get on the ferry either direction on time but then wait quite awhile to get going. TBK will let you know of his experience too. But sadly for you guys it seems everything runs on Island time.

I’d still give it a shot- Moorea is too wonderful to miss. 

Do you have a day in Papeete? Not as much to see on Tahiti as there is in Moorea. If you have an overnite in Papeete by chance I’d do it then.

Our ship arrives at 10am and departs same day at 10pm. A 20-40 minute swing will cramp our three hour tour window, as we can't rely on the ferries leaving late for the return so we'll have to be back to board before the scheduled return. Only saving grace is that the current schedule has three ferries leaving at nearly the same time back to Papeete. So if one goes early, the other two may be on time (or late). Still a tough choice.   ...Having 16 people in our group further complicates it - some are not as daring.

9 hours ago, FunInTheSun9 said:

Our ship arrives at 10am and departs same day at 10pm. A 20-40 minute swing will cramp our three hour tour window, as we can't rely on the ferries leaving late for the return so we'll have to be back to board before the scheduled return. Only saving grace is that the current schedule has three ferries leaving at nearly the same time back to Papeete. So if one goes early, the other two may be on time (or late). Still a tough choice.   ...Having 16 people in our group further complicates it - some are not as daring.

It might work out just perfectly but it’s a risk. Sunday things close down in Tahiti as it’s very Catholic. I looked on Air Tahiti and there is one nonstop flight with terrible times. On other days there are several and round trip flights are only $100. It’s just extremely unfortunate that times and visiting on a Sunday don’t work out: 😔

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 7:10 PM, Petoonya said:

It might work out just perfectly but it’s a risk. Sunday things close down in Tahiti as it’s very Catholic. It’s just extremely unfortunate that times and visiting on a Sunday don’t work out: 😔

If Tahiti is very Catholic will I find a Catholic Church to attend Sunday Mass in Moorea as I will be staying at the Manava Beach resort?

2 hours ago, madera1 said:

If Tahiti is very Catholic will I find a Catholic Church to attend Sunday Mass in Moorea as I will be staying at the Manava Beach resort?

After you find what time Mass is at St. Joseph Catholic church Moorea you'll find it is the closest to Manava Resort. Just google. You should be able to arrange a taxi ( Alberts or Torea Nui Transports) if you don't have a car.

Edited by Petoonya

13 hours ago, madera1 said:

Thank you everyone.I had done a google search prior to posting but the church does not have a website or time of services listed.

Tripadvisor lists the mass time also as 10am but it's from 10 years ago as TBK says.

689 40 56 11 32  is the local number. But the Manava will have info about times for mass- if not at St Joseph's perhaps one of the two other churches. You might even direct that question now to the concierge desk.

Have a blast!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:42 AM, FunInTheSun9 said: