Capri - wine/sparkling wine suggestions

mimxmom

We will be going in a boat tour while in Capri and they have asked me what kind of wine I would like them to provide. I have no idea what they have there but I like a very sweet red wine (Think grape juice) or a sweet moscato type wine. Does anyone have any recommendations ?

If you like Moscato, that's an Italian wine. There are several varieties -- perhaps you might like Moscato d'Asti, which is a light wine, a bit bubbly but not so much as Prosecco. According to Wine Folly:

"The Italian wines of Moscato d’Asti (semi-sparkling) and Asti Spumante (sparkling) are the classic examples of Moscato, but you’ll discover wines labeled “Moscato” are typically made in this style. Both of the Italian versions have Italy’s highest DOCG classification, which means they have a protected guarantee of origin much like Parmigiano-Reggiano. The best wines are highly aromatic and sweet, but perfectly balanced with zippy acidity, bubbles, and a clean, minerally finish. This might just be the perfect pool party wine."

(That last sentence sounds like a boat tour around Capri to me....:classic_biggrin: )

• Like 1

A name to look for in the Campania region is Fuedi di San Gregorio.  I’m not sure if they do a sweeter sparkling wine, but their normal ones have a good reputation.  Spumante Falanghina is another local-ish offering worth a try.

Lambrusco is a fizzy type of wine but it's not like Prosecco (which is similar to champagne in that it is corked under high pressure and has a lot more bubbles!) or, one might say, frizzante which you usually see when it comes to water listed on Italian menus. Lambrusco, to me is definitely sweeter. Once upon a time it was popular in the U.S. when Riunite was selling big time, back in the 80s. It's a wine I only noticed being served when I was in Emilia Romagna and then, only with a certain dish. 

And indeed Spumante is sweet...much, much sweeter than Prosecco. There could be sweet proseccos but it would require specific knowledge of the grapes in that bottle or a producer of the bottle you're drinking to deduce whether or not the bottle is sweet or dry. If the bottle says brut, it's dry. For whatever reason, the French brut is still used to describe dry Italian Prosecco.

I'd go with either Lambrusco (more of a wine) or Spumante (more like a champagne) for a definitely sweet something in your glass. Specify red, white, or rosé for your Lambrusco; not sure? Go for the rosé. 

Enjoy Capri!! 🙂