Alcohol onboard question?

Yes I know.... another alcohol question :classic_smile:.  I'm new to RCI.  We're booked for 9 nights this December on the Explorer.  I was planning to buy the alcohol package for me, but not for the DW as she might have 3 or 4 drinks the entire cruise.  Then I tried to buy it I found out that isn't allowed, and we both have to buy it.  Really?  I guess I understand their reason why.... even though the same concerns would apply to any drink package, alcohol or not.  My questions are...when (if) the discounted packages go on sale onboard do they still enforce the "both must purchase" policy?  I also read somewhere that RCI allows passengers to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard?  Is this still the case?  What are my options? 

5 minutes ago, NthernLgts said:

Yes I know.... another alcohol question :classic_smile:.  I'm new to RCI.  We're booked for 9 nights this December on the Explorer.  I was planning to buy the alcohol package for me, but not for the DW as she might have 3 or 4 drinks the entire cruise.  Then I tried to buy it I found out that isn't allowed, and we both have to buy it.  Really?  I guess I understand their reason why.... even though the same concerns would apply to any drink package, alcohol or not.  My questions are...when (if) the discounted packages go on sale onboard do they still enforce the "both must purchase" policy?  I also read somewhere that RCI allows passengers to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard?  Is this still the case?  What are my options? 

Yes, it is a requirement that everyone of legal drinking age in a cabin buy the package or no one can buy the package.

There is one way around this requirement.

You cannot do this on the website; you must call.

Buy the refreshment package for your wife, and they will let you buy the deluxe beverage package for yourself.

You are permitted to carry on two 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin.

You are also permitted to carry on up to 12 containers of non-alcoholic beverages (water, soda, juice), each of which contains no more than 17 ounces/half a liter/500 ml.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand why they do it but it can be a real pain,when we boarded Quantum in October my Wife asked about buying the Deluxe Package for herself as I don't drink but besides being quoted a 'silly' price they insisted that I buy the refreshment package which was a waste as I don't drink coffee or soda so we just bought drinks as & when we wanted.

5 hours ago, snaefell said:

I understand why they do it but it can be a real pain,when we boarded Quantum in October my Wife asked about buying the Deluxe Package for herself as I don't drink but besides being quoted a 'silly' price they insisted that I buy the refreshment package which was a waste as I don't drink coffee or soda so we just bought drinks as & when we wanted.

Just FYI the refreshment package covers much more than coffee and soda.  Refreshment package includes fresh squeezed orange juice, bottled water, specialty 

coffee, soda, virgin cocktails, etc.  Bottled water is useful for taking on shore. 

26 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Just FYI the refreshment package covers much more than coffee and soda.  Refreshment package includes fresh squeezed orange juice, bottled water, specialty 

coffee, soda, virgin cocktails, etc.  Bottled water is useful for taking on shore. 

As it was we were well supplied with bottled water on all our excursions(booked independently) & also on some shore excursions we were actually handed a bottle of water as we left the ship so there wasn't really anything that I missed out on as far as I could see as none of the other items mentioned are of interest to me.

6 hours ago, snaefell said:

Then you utilized the obvious alternative:  you bought drinks when you wanted them. 

I see no problem. 

Thank you for the responses.  I still think it’s a goofy policy to require both to purchase as the same concerns should be applicable to every drink package they sell.  We’ll figure something out, probably drag a couple bottles of wine on board at a minimum.

42 minutes ago, NthernLgts said:

Thank you for the responses.  I still think it’s a goofy policy to require both to purchase as the same concerns should be applicable to every drink package they sell.  We’ll figure something out, probably drag a couple bottles of wine on board at a minimum.

Unfortunately the sharing of packages by many cruisers, especially the alcoholic drinks, made the rules necessary.  At least if you call you have the option of one alcoholic package and one refreshment package.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NthernLgts said:

It didn't use to be the policy on Royal, although many other cruiselines had this same policy. There was too much sharing going on with it. I suspect the reason why it's applicable to the alcohol package but not the other packages is a combination of the high price point of the alcohol package (so people were more likely to buy one and share vs. something like an $8 a day soda package) and the profit margins/cost to the cruise line are more noticeable for alcohol. 

My first royal cruise in May.  This requirement for all adults to buy the package is definitely a checkmark in the "con" column of Royal.  I was lucky enough to snag the $18/day deluxe package error back when that happened a few months back so it's a non issue this time around but it will definitely weigh on my decision in the future.  I'm accustomed to Princess where it is NOT a requirement that you purchase for both. I get the package, wife does not. It's not that hard for the cruise line to police.  As with anything, if you're not greedy you could get away with a small amount of sharing but it would be difficult not to get caught trying to take advantage to any significant degree.

• Thanks 1

It must be remembered that the packages are sold to make the cruise line money, not to save passengers money. Obviously selling two packages makes more than only selling one, and it cuts down the risk of sharing. Yes, that is a concern with all packages but the loss with the alcohol package is greater than it would be for the soda package.