DIY Tenarife and Gran Canaria

cleobella

Hi! We are cruising to Tenarife and Gran Canaria. Ideally I would like to get around these ports on our own, maybe just walking around the port for one site and touring the places of interest for the other. Which port is best suited to a quiet port stroll and maybe beach time, and which is more interesting to actively tour attractions? Thanks for any info!

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2020 at 9:01 AM, cleobella said:

Hi! We are cruising to Tenarife and Gran Canaria. Ideally I would like to get around these ports on our own, maybe just walking around the port for one site and touring the places of interest for the other. Which port is best suited to a quiet port stroll and maybe beach time, and which is more interesting to actively tour attractions? Thanks for any info!

Was there November 2018 and there was a hop on hop off bus with a guided walking tour.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Tenerife via a cruise and did a Volcano tour.

It was very good value and a really great scenic tour.

We used Tenerife Private Tours and John the owner was punctual, very knowledgable and gave us a great explanation of the island and its history. The car was comfortable and we were picked up and dropped off from the port.

We had such a good tour we skipped lunch because we didn't want to miss anything but of course that was our choice and not necessary.

I would do a tour at this location. 

if you want to just walk off the ship and tour the city, I advise to do this in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.

The ship docks near the new centre, and you can have a nice walk on the promenade, admiring the Atlantic and the surfers,

Then,  take a taxi to the historical centre which is very nice indeed.

Don’t forget to have some local food and wine.

For Tenerife, I advise to rent a car, and tour the Island. Traffic is not that bad, roads are mostly very good and the scenery, dominated by the Pico del Teide stunning.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tenerife we did last minute as we could not dock at our original port. We went up the mountain (volcano) in a cab.  It was freezing up there, but nice in the city so take a jacket. There is a gondola if you have time to the top, we did not.  The landscape in places looks like the moon, so I highly recommend it if you like unique lanscapes. There is a visitor center with a walking path and videos.  You could easily drive it if you are comfortable renting a car, but we didn't have planning time so just took the cab. 

I lived for some years on both the islands. Las Palmas has one of the best urban beaches in Europe. It has a lovely long promenade and there is plenty to see and do there.

in Tenerife I would hire a car from CICAR who have an office in the port. I’d visit Teide and towns in the north of the island like Puerto de la Cruz, La Oratava, Icod, Garachico, Tacaronte, La Laguna and Santa Cruz.

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2020 at 4:20 AM, GCHAN said:

We used Tenerife Private Tours and John the owner was punctual, very knowledgable and gave us a great explanation of the island and its history. The car was comfortable and we were picked up and dropped off from the port.

We had such a good tour we skipped lunch because we didn't want to miss anything but of course that was our choice and not necessary.

Can you please give me Tenerife Private Tours contact information?  What was your tour itinerary? 

We were in Tenerife on a cruise. I used a site called TRIPSPOINT.com.

They had a private tour for 6. I posted on my roll call for 4 people.immediately  got 4 people. Driver met us at pier gates. Drove us up into the mountains. Small family winery with wine and TAPAS. Great day. 

2 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We were in Tenerife on a cruise. I used a site called TRIPSPOINT.com.

They had a private tour for 6. I posted on my roll call for 4 people.immediately  got 4 people. Driver met us at pier gates. Drove us up into the mountains. Small family winery with wine and TAPAS. Great day. 

Thank you. How was the drive up to the mountain?  I was hoping to take the tram because some of those mountain drives can be treacherous. 

The drive up the mountain was great. Down even better.  At the top our driver knew a spot to pull over and we walked around.  We loved the winery we went to.  Just a lovely day

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

The drive up the mountain was great. Down even better.  At the top our driver knew a spot to pull over and we walked around.  We loved the winery we went to.  Just a lovely day

So, it wasn’t a frightening drive? That was my fear.

12 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

So, it wasn’t a frightening drive? That was my fear.

Glorious. Of course we didn't do the driving but the looking. Wouldn't drive myself. So curvy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 7:30 PM, Mrs f. said:

Wouldn't drive myself. So curvy. 

It's a great drive, IMO.  With some tricky curves - trickier when you're on the "wrong" side of the road from normal.

We've driven from the south of the island up to Teide. You can often have to drive through the cloud layer. Down the other side to Puerto de la Cruz and La Orotava, then over to Santa Cruz and back  down south via the motorway.

On 3/3/2020 at 4:20 AM, GCHAN said:

I do have John booked for Tenerife.  I will try and remember to post back here.  I also read very good reviews about him on TripAdvisor.  We’re excited to spend the day with him. Thank you.

On 3/6/2020 at 5:44 AM, Despegue said:

if you want to just walk off the ship and tour the city, I advise to do this in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.

The ship docks near the new centre, and you can have a nice walk on the promenade, admiring the Atlantic and the surfers,

Then,  take a taxi to the historical centre which is very nice indeed.

Don’t forget to have some local food and wine.

For Tenerife, I advise to rent a car, and tour the Island. Traffic is not that bad, roads are mostly very good and the scenery, dominated by the Pico del Teide stunning.

Are any of these things or the shops open on Sunday?  Unfortunately that is when we will be there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 1:37 PM, midwestchick said:

Thank you. How was the drive up to the mountain?  I was hoping to take the tram because some of those mountain drives can be treacherous. 

You can take a tram to La Laguna, which is a lovely and very interesting old town uphill of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.  Trams do not go off into the volcanic region though.

The roads should be fine going up to the volcanic region from the East of the Island as it is a more gradual slope up.  The steep roads with sharp bends go up from the west of the Island, but the ships do not dock there.

Take some warm clothes if going to higher altitudes though, you will even notice the difference if you just take the half hour modern tram ride to La Laguna.

I do not like the area within walking distance the port in Gran Canaria as very busy and touristy.  It is  just a city and busy tourist beach, but depends what you like.  As others have mentioned though, the old town is very interesting and you could get there by taxi, or even a local bus ride, but the bus gets very busy so perhaps not good in covid times.

Enjoy, we love the Canaries.

Edited by tring

On 4/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, LondonTowner said:

I lived for some years on both the islands. Las Palmas has one of the best urban beaches in Europe. It has a lovely long promenade and there is plenty to see and do there.

in Tenerife I would hire a car from CICAR who have an office in the port. I’d visit Teide and towns in the north of the island like Puerto de la Cruz, La Oratava, Icod, Garachico, Tacaronte, La Laguna and Santa Cruz.

We agree and have rented cars (multiple times) from CICAR.  Confining one's self to town is a big mistake on Tenerife as the island has so much natural beauty that can only be seen by traveling to various parts of the island.  Driving here, with the help of GPS, is easy and gives one the maximum flexibility.   Driving up Mt Teide is a "must" when on the island and it can be done via rental car or on some kind of tour.  As to Santa Cruz, the downtown tourist--popular areas are walkable assuming one is mobile and enjoys strolling a few miles on a port day.

Hank

• 9 months later...
On 8/26/2021 at 1:38 PM, Hlitner said:

We agree and have rented cars (multiple times) from CICAR.  Confining one's self to town is a big mistake on Tenerife as the island has so much natural beauty that can only be seen by traveling to various parts of the island.  Driving here, with the help of GPS, is easy and gives one the maximum flexibility.   Driving up Mt Teide is a "must" when on the island and it can be done via rental car or on some kind of tour.  As to Santa Cruz, the downtown tourist--popular areas are walkable assuming one is mobile and enjoys strolling a few miles on a port day.

Hank

On the basis of this recommendation I've just booked a hire car with CICAR for our day in Gran Canaria in November. Am amazed at the price which claims to include everything so will be astonished to pick up the vehicle and discover that really is all I have to pay....

1 hour ago, brynmelyndavid said:

On the basis of this recommendation I've just booked a hire car with CICAR for our day in Gran Canaria in November. Am amazed at the price which claims to include everything so will be astonished to pick up the vehicle and discover that really is all I have to pay....

They are very legit so you should not have a problem.  Just beware that many rental cars (anywhere in Europe) come with a manual (stick) shift.  If you cannot handle a stick than you will often need to reserve (and pay a premium) for an automatic.

Hank

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

They are very legit so you should not have a problem.  Just beware that many rental cars (anywhere in Europe) come with a manual (stick) shift.  If you cannot handle a stick than you will often need to reserve (and pay a premium) for an automatic.

Hank

Given that I live in the UK I've driven manual gear change cars all my life! That said I've booked an automatic one this time as it just makes life slightly easier when adjusting to driving on the wrong side of the road! Pleased to get the recommendation though and now looking forward to a day of private exploration.