Lisbon

llbz327

would like to tap into your wealth of knowledge.

in lisbon 10am to 11pm. first time there 

what would you suggest to do. not a fan of guided tours. is it possible to do it yourself?

i have read that public transportation id very good.

any suggestions will be welcome

thank you

We walk the many neigbourhoods.  You will likely dock right near the old town area. The Alfama hills, right across the street, are wonderful to wander about in, lots of churches, cafes.  

The main part of town is within easy walking distance: Chiado for shopping, Baixa for architecture and bakeries!   

Bus to Belem (close to the ship), for the historic sites, is easy and cheap. 

A map and you're off!

Edited by SilvertoGold

A great resource is: Lisbon’s Trams, Funiculars and Lift: Where They Go, Which One to Ride

Find it plus a multitude of other info at the website lisbonguru dot com

Twenty-five years ago, we honeymooned for a week in Lisbon + surrounds following a two-week transatlantic cruise. And just like my DH, Lisbon is still a favorite!

2 hours ago, llbz327 said:

what would you suggest to do. not a fan of guided tours. is it possible to do it yourself?

thank you

I agree with Silver to Gold, you can walk just about anywhere if you are so inclined.

It’s a shame that you are leaving at 11 pm - you could nearly have a meal and enjoy Fado at Senor Fado (very close to the ship).  It’s not hard to get back to the ship but your timing would probably be tight 😞 

So many beautiful areas in Lisbon.  I suggest you explore a few in detail and enjoy.

If you do want to do some in depth exploration with knowledge of the history Lisbon Explorer has some fantastic guides (especially the Jewish tour).  They are all walking tours and absolutely enthralling but you can certainly explore on your own. 🙂 

Lisbon is a fantastic city and one of our favourites.  We were delighted to spend a few days there last time pre cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 1:07 PM, llbz327 said:

thank you

W hadport calls a out 3-4  times in Lisbon and several hotel stays.  We really like that city. We always docked in the center of down town.  Easy t  distance  to walk (though hilly) You can see lots on your own but if you don't want a HAL bus tour, you might  consider, a  smaller and private  tour    Do some reading in advance to deter mine what things interest you as 'must sees'     Have lunch  and/or dinner ashore.   food is good. (so is the 'green wine).   🙂

sail.noordam@gmail.com