Best ports for silver (Men's) jewelry?

aricczona

I will be sailing to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo on my upcoming cruise. I am hoping to find a unique piece of men's jewelry,preferably a silver cuff bracelet. I am curious which of these ports would be my best option to find a quality piece at a good price. Also should I bring pesos? Are the prices firm or is haggling expected? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My only comment would be:  if you're dealing with the craftsman, I'd be careful about haggling....you need to take into account the cost of supplies, the design process & time it took to create the piece.  I bought a silver bracelet from the craftsman in Sayulita & was discouraged (by our private guide) against haggling for the above reasons.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 57redbird said:

My only comment would be:  if you're dealing with the craftsman, I'd be careful about haggling....you need to take into account the cost of supplies, the design process & time it took to create the piece.  I bought a silver bracelet from the craftsman in Sayulita & was discouraged (by our private guide) against haggling for the above reasons.

LOL.  One wonders what kind of kick-back your private guide got from the " craftsman."  You are talking about Mexico where everything has a price and everyone gets a cut.   Having lived in Mexico for the past 14 winters, we would haggle with anyone for jewelry or crafts.  It is just the way it is done.  If the seller does not want to haggle or you demand too low a price you will quickly find out.

Hank

• Like 1

Just now, Hlitner said:

LOL.  One wonders what kind of kick-back your private guide got from the " craftsman."  You are talking about Mexico where everything has a price and everyone gets a cut.   Having lived in Mexico for the past 14 winters, we would haggle with anyone for jewelry or crafts.  It is just the way it is done.  If the seller does not want to haggle or you demand too low a price you will quickly find out.

Hank

Thanks Hank....like I said, it was a one-man shop in Sayulita & I'm pretty sure our guide didn't get a kick-back from him but who knows....the price was very reasonable so it wasn't a big deal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Thanks Hank....like I said, it was a one-man shop in Sayulita & I'm pretty sure our guide didn't get a kick-back from him but who knows....the price was very reasonable so it wasn't a big deal.

Many  years ago we bought a beach umbrella from a nice vendor on Los Muertos beach.  That guy had passed us for years, was always polite, and we were happy to give him some business.  But we drove a very hard  bargain and got a great price.  For the next few years I felt guilty about pushing down that price.  Eventually that umbrella broke and our friendly vendor happened to come by our place on the beach.  I asked him the price of an umbrella, and without saying a word paid it!  Pancho was completely shocked (we saw it in his face).  Guilt does take many forms :).  

Hank

• Like 1

My wife has bought silver in Cabo, Todos Santos, and most recently in Mazatlan (mystic topaz earrings in silver setting). Definitely haggle in any store unless you really like throwing money away. Bargaining is part of the Mexican culture and it is expected.

Since practically none of it is locally sourced, my guess is that you can buy it anywhere.  My gut suggests that PV and Mazatlan might be better than Cabo since they are larger cities and have more tourists in general.   If you really want to see the heart of Mexican silver jewelry go to Taxco.  At a minimum, do some research online and buy from a reputable shop so that at least you are getting the real thing.