Where to go on a budget?

sunlovinchick

18 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

following...

Same. I haven't been but it looks like one of the shorter Bahamas cruises would make a nice budget getaway. The area around the cruise port in Nassau (straw market, pirate museum, Government House, etc.) looks to be walkable, but beware of your surroundings - someone here posted a few weeks ago that they got mugged in what was a supposedly safe area.

• Thanks 1

There is a free beach (Junkanoo) about 10-15 minute walk from the port in Nassau. You could also walk and sight see (Queen’s Staircase, Ft. Fincastle [entrance fee], and other colonial type buildings).

Freeport you need to hire a taxi or something. The port area has some shops and bars/restaurants 

10 hours ago, sunlovinchick said:

Is Junkapoo a nice beach? Do they have any food stands there? Bathroom facilities?  Thanks!

It’s ok, definitely not the nicest on the island. You can get food, drinks, chairs, umbrellas and there is a bathroom. The public beaches on cable and cabbage beach are much nicer but no facilities.

I am in the same boat for Nassau later this month and have researched free beaches and how to get to them.

Bus #10 or 12 goes north from port along the coastline and reviews say it's a good option. However, not on Sundays. If you are there on Sunday it won't work to take the bus. You catch #12 at the straw market and #10 at corner of George and Bay streets.

The two beaches I was considering based on research (I'm there on Sunday so have decided on a self guided walking tour instead) are:

1) Saunders beach - has nice sand, is quiet, has bathrooms, has security, has a playground, has a gas station across the street you can buy drinks/snacks at.

2) Love beach - has Nirvana Beach Bar with good reviews (cash only), decent snorkling, tends to be uncrowded/empty

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sunlovinchick said:

Is Junkapoo a nice beach? Do they have any food stands there? Bathroom facilities?  Thanks!

Went their once and it was junky.  Trash buried in the sand, the water area was rocky and the pier / dock was crumbling.

For a better option, take a taxi to cabbage beach.  It's about $4pp each way.  There are facilities there.  For a little more seclusion, take a taxi to the paradise island beach club.  Still cabbage beach, just a little further down and there are no vendors.  Perfect sand too.

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

Went their once and it was junky.  Trash buried in the sand, the water area was rocky and the pier / dock was crumbling.

For a better option, take a taxi to cabbage beach.  It's about $4pp each way.  There are facilities there.  For a little more seclusion, take a taxi to the paradise island beach club.  Still cabbage beach, just a little further down and there are no vendors.  Perfect sand too.

What facilities? There are chair/umbrella rentals, and booze in a coconut, and folks trying to sell you stuff. It’s beautiful.

Just now, mjkacmom said:

What facilities? There are chair/umbrella rentals, and booze in a coconut, and folks trying to sell you stuff. It’s beautiful.

At the Paradise Island beach club there is a mini-convenience store with facilities.  That is what I was referring to.

Look into trip advisor and the things to do section. 1 year we  just walked off of the boat and went to the distillery and did the tour. THen went to Graycliff and watched them make cigars. and the chocolate factory tour. Its all within walking distance. And cheap to do. I can't remember if there was a charge for the distillary ,however you can sample all the liquor for free.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 8:41 AM, BerlinLink said:

I am in the same boat for Nassau later this month and have researched free beaches and how to get to them.

Bus #10 or 12 goes north from port along the coastline and reviews say it's a good option. However, not on Sundays. If you are there on Sunday it won't work to take the bus. You catch #12 at the straw market and #10 at corner of George and Bay streets.

The two beaches I was considering based on research (I'm there on Sunday so have decided on a self guided walking tour instead) are:

1) Saunders beach - has nice sand, is quiet, has bathrooms, has security, has a playground, has a gas station across the street you can buy drinks/snacks at.

2) Love beach - has Nirvana Beach Bar with good reviews (cash only), decent snorkling, tends to be uncrowded/empty

Thanks for the tip on Love Beach! After reading reviews on Trip Advisor this sounds prefect for my family and loads cheaper than the Blue Lagoon excursion. 

On 1/19/2020 at 3:29 PM, tumblew467 said:

Look into trip advisor and the things to do section. 1 year we  just walked off of the boat and went to the distillery and did the tour. THen went to Graycliff and watched them make cigars. and the chocolate factory tour. Its all within walking distance. And cheap to do. I can't remember if there was a charge for the distillary ,however you can sample all the liquor for free.

All you get is one small taste. It's good for 30-45 minutes. You can buy full sized drinks at regular prices.

We were in Bahamas last year, Nassau,  Did DIY stuff.  We did go to Junkaroo Beach.  like someone said, it's a 15 minute walk.  altho my husband has mobility issue so it took us more like 25 minutes.  i also walked around Nassau in the morning by myself.  saw Gregory's Arch, the policy station, Queen's Staircase, post office, cigar and choc place, and other sites that were recommend on the boards here.  do a search in this forum for DIY or walking maps.  great info.  lots of shopping along the main street also and in port.  i have fun collecting the charms out of the various stores.  you can get coupons for "free" charms and a charm bracelete on the ship.  cheap novelty, of course, but fun.  get an order of the Conch Fritters and try the hot sauce from the kiosk right on the pier.  Yummy and i generally won't eat conch or hot sauce but both were delicious. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2020 at 6:50 AM, RunnerGurl615 said:

We were in Bahamas last year, Nassau,  Did DIY stuff.  We did go to Junkaroo Beach.  like someone said, it's a 15 minute walk.  altho my husband has mobility issue so it took us more like 25 minutes.  i also walked around Nassau in the morning by myself.  saw Gregory's Arch, the policy station, Queen's Staircase, post office, cigar and choc place, and other sites that were recommend on the boards here.  do a search in this forum for DIY or walking maps.  great info.  lots of shopping along the main street also and in port.  i have fun collecting the charms out of the various stores.  you can get coupons for "free" charms and a charm bracelete on the ship.  cheap novelty, of course, but fun.  get an order of the Conch Fritters and try the hot sauce from the kiosk right on the pier.  Yummy and i generally won't eat conch or hot sauce but both were delicious. 

Where do you get the charm coupons?

On 1/17/2020 at 11:33 AM, buckeyefrank said:

Is one of these better than the other for snorkeling?

Have been to a couple of the beaches.  Didn't like Junkaroo or whatever.  Best beach by far that we loved was Cabbage Beach,  It is right next the RUI on Paradise Island.  It is a public beach but we never have had any issues.  There are chair rentals and once took a memorable banana boat ride there.  Taxi will take you for about $10 to the path to the beach.  I agree with previous posters...you will not be disappointed with Cabbage Beach but you will with Junkkaroo.  

We've done the walk to the Queen's stairway.  OK way to spend a morning.  We have also gone to Cabbage Beach (by taxi).  Beach is very nice, but as a previous poster said - no facilities.  We went in the morning and back to the ship for a late lunch.

• 1 month later...