Azamara Land Packages

Phxazzcruisers

2 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Currently guests do not earn LCV points for pre or post Land Packages.

I'll keep you posted if this changes.

Thanks Bonnie.  That kind of kills the incentive to book a very expensive land package with Azamara when it can be done cheaper with another travel company.  I really hope that Azamara Management would think about this.  We just might have to cancel our land portions and book them elsewhere.

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

I think our pre- and post-cruise Land Packages are amazing extensions of the Azamara cruises. They are carefully curated to add even more destination immersion to our cruises. But they may not be for everyone...perhaps the length or the cost doesn’t fit.  That is understandable. 

42 minutes ago, MartiniBarhooked said:

Can you add land packages after you have booked a cruise?  How do you do it?

Absolutely! You can add a land package up until final documents are issued.

I suggest perusing the offered Land Programs link below. If you find one that fits what you’re looking for, there is a Request More Information button which will trigger us emailing/calling you. Or you can call our Customer Service, or ask your TA to inquire for you.

https://www.azamara.com/int/land-programs

On 1/17/2020 at 5:15 PM, Phxazzcruisers said:

Thanks Bonnie.  That kind of kills the incentive to book a very expensive land package with Azamara when it can be done cheaper with another travel company.  I really hope that Azamara Management would think about this.  We just might have to cancel our land portions and book them elsewhere.

Double check what will happen with your original booking if you cancel the land portion.  We lost the incentives of our original booking and our TA had to fight to keep the price at the amount we were to pay instead of current rates.  Essentially, they were treating it as a new booking.  I was told this changed just after we did it, but better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 9:16 AM, BBMacLaird said:

I think our pre- and post-cruise Land Packages are amazing extensions of the Azamara cruises. They are carefully curated to add even more destination immersion to our cruises. But they may not be for everyone...perhaps the length or the cost doesn’t fit.  That is understandable. 

Bonnie,

Is there any chance you will be offering any South Africa pre-post cruise extensions for 2021 that aren't quite of the Rolls Royce standard? I'm thinking slightly less luxury standards of hotels with perhaps a slightly more affordable price?

14 minutes ago, agathasmum said:

Bonnie,

Is there any chance you will be offering any South Africa pre-post cruise extensions for 2021 that aren't quite of the Rolls Royce standard? I'm thinking slightly less luxury standards of hotels with perhaps a slightly more affordable price?

You would be far better to do a little research yourself or though a travel agent.

We have stayed in some excellent hotels in South Africa with wonderful food at a fraction of Azamara prices.

Local tours can easily be arranged by the hotels at reasonable cost.

Cape Town is still one of our favorite places.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, agathasmum said:

Bonnie,

After flying so far you ought to spend more time pre- or post-cruise!

I’ll be happy to pass along your suggestion. 

5 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

You would be far better to do a little research yourself or though a travel agent.

We have stayed in some excellent hotels in South Africa with wonderful food at a fraction of Azamara prices.

Local tours can easily be arranged by the hotels at reasonable cost.

Cape Town is still one of our favorite places.

I'll co-sign that!!!!  You can stay at nicer hotels and do all private tours for much less than the Azamara land tours.  

• Like 1

I would be very interested to know how successful the Azamara land packages are. I had a look at some of them and at first thought the prices were a printing error. I understand you are paying for the convenience but they just seem unrealistic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john1970 said:

I would be very interested to know how successful the Azamara land packages are. I had a look at some of them and at first thought the prices were a printing error. I understand you are paying for the convenience but they just seem unrealistic. 

I would think they are assuming that price is not much of an issue to those who book the land packages and that those who book them, put a value on easy one-click booking and not worrying about a thing.  Unfortunately, this will be never be the reality for many of us.  I actually enjoy doing the research on activities and attractions I want to do in places I go, so maybe it's just as well.  

• Like 2

Unfortunately, most cruise and land tour pre and post packages are prohibitively expensive. With their purchasing power, if the companies could come up with reasonably priced packages they may find it to be a better profit center, with many more guests taking advantage of them. We usually book a few days at both the front and back ends of a cruise, so we would be ones to use the cruise line’s program if the prices were in line with what we could do ourselves . . . or reasonably close to it for the convenience.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, john1970 said:

You can't blame them for trying and some people must be prepared to pay the price, the same can said for some of the crazy cruises prices.

I think the issue is that even if you have the ability to pay for the packages you still would like value. It isn't the cost but you have to feel that you are receiving an experience commensurate with the price. I would also be slightly dubious as to the ability of the Azamara admin/back office system to make this a seamless process. Like others said I enjoy researching my pre holiday stay and to me it's a pleasure and not a chore but each to their own.

• Like 2

I agree. I like planning though sometimes I do not have time to.  I was excited when I heard about the planned pre and post cruise packages even though I had serious concerns based on how land Discoveries were delivered were delivered.  And then I saw the prices.  There is nothing unique in any of them, I checked out what is offered in my home town and on four packages I might have considered.  The mark up was something I could not stomach.  Even when I’m busy I do have a degree of price sensitivity! 

it’s a missed opportunity Azamara, more realistic pricing and I think many more would have bitten.  I’ve not met anyone onboard who had done the trip before or were planning to after yet....

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

We are the kind of travelers that would have liked the convenience of the land packages.  As we're still working, I don't always have the time I'd like to devote to researching for a pre- or post-cruise journey.  We're willing to pay a little bit of a premium for the convenience, but Azamara's premium is unbelievable.  And they aren't even choosing the highest rated hotels for those prices!  

When these journeys were first announced I started a thread about it and asked, "What am I missing, that they are priced so ridiculously high?"  The answer was nothing.

26 minutes ago, uktog said:

it’s a missed opportunity Azamara, more realistic pricing and I think many more would have bitten.  I’ve not met anyone onboard who had done the trip before or were planning to after yet....

It's a missed opportunity alright, but they are operating this at such a low risk.  They are basically only acting in a marketing role here and earning commissions.  The partner tour company puts together a package and Azamara agrees to market it to their passengers and earn some percentage as a commission.  This is such a low risk venture for Azamara, but it takes very little effort from them as well.  It's possible that Azamara doesn't have the infrastructure needed to do this any other way.

4 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

It's a missed opportunity alright, but they are operating this at such a low risk.  They are basically only acting in a marketing role here and earning commissions.  The partner tour company puts together a package and Azamara agrees to market it to their passengers and earn some percentage as a commission.  This is such a low risk venture for Azamara, but it takes very little effort from them as well.  It's possible that Azamara doesn't have the infrastructure needed to do this any other way.

It that's correct then surely the issue is the amount that Azamara expect for so little work, nobody would complain if it was not so extortionate.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments.  I agree with everyone.  We know that we are paying a hefty premium

to Azamara for the land portion of this cruise.  It is for an African safari and is something would want to make sure everything is in order and what Azamara published looks great.  First Class Hotels and tours.  What we are a little bothered about, is that it would not cost Azamara anything to give CC points per day for this expensive add on and would be a great gesture.  It does not make any business sense to us why they would not give CC points for their add on packages.....  Bonnie, please relay our thoughts to home office.  Thanks so much