Bahrain dropped from 2020 RCI Jewel itineraries

little britain

Dear Guest,

Before you get ready to join us onboard the Jewel of the Seas, we have an important itinerary change to share with you for our upcoming January 20th, 2020 sailing.

Last week, there was news of conflict in the Persian Gulf. Since then, we’ve been closely monitoring the area along with our Global Security and Intelligence Team. While it’s safe to visit the Arabian Gulf, out of an abundance of caution, we’ve decided to cancel our visit to Bahrain. Please know, we didn’t take this decision lightly. Instead, we’ll overnight in Abu Dhabi before making our way back to Dubai. We’re terribly sorry for this unexpected change. After some back and forth, we agreed this would be the best alternative to our original itinerary. We hope you’ll enjoy the extra time exploring everything Abu Dhabi has to offer! Below, please find our revised itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

Dubai, United Arab Emirates

5:00 PM

Tue

Sir Bani Yas, United Arab Emirates

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Wed

Doha, Qatar

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Sat

8:00 PM

Sun

Mon

DEBARK

And Bahrain has been pounding their chest at Iran instead of leaving well enough alone.  Because, they know they have the security of the Trump administration which they back.  And stated so.

There's not a regional issue but more of a couple hot heads pounding their chests.  The governments of Oman, UAE and Qatar have laid low during all of this.

Since RCI is based in the U.S., they are just pretty much avoiding the connection with Bahrain.  And being at a distance  from Bahrain will keep them off of the radar so to speak.

Nothing to worry about.  Just a bunch of propaganda on both sides.

Just want to add that there were at least two U.S. Soldiers stationed in Bahrain on my December 11-22 cruise in MSC.  On personal time with their families.  I chatted with one during breakfast.  He had no conerns whatsoever about cruising in the region even after the fuel tanker crisis and on going threats from Iran.

My next cruise with MSC heads for Bahrain in 2 days.

Edited by Skoobdo

And possibly also due to feedback and complaints from guesst on board that the port is a 45min and  $20pp transfer from town, they are dropped in town not even at a mall, and some have said that their phones (google maps) will not work so they have no way of knowing where they are.  I wasn't going to even bother going ashore - another pool day for us. But overjoyed with an overnight in AD as a replacement. 

2 hours ago, little britain said:

Dear Guest,

Before you get ready to join us onboard the Jewel of the Seas, we have an important itinerary change to share with you for our upcoming January 20th, 2020 sailing.

Last week, there was news of conflict in the Persian Gulf. Since then, we’ve been closely monitoring the area along with our Global Security and Intelligence Team. While it’s safe to visit the Arabian Gulf, out of an abundance of caution, we’ve decided to cancel our visit to Bahrain. Please know, we didn’t take this decision lightly. Instead, we’ll overnight in Abu Dhabi before making our way back to Dubai. We’re terribly sorry for this unexpected change. After some back and forth, we agreed this would be the best alternative to our original itinerary. We hope you’ll enjoy the extra time exploring everything Abu Dhabi has to offer! Below, please find our revised itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

5:00 PM

Tue

Sir Bani Yas, United Arab Emirates

Wed

Doha, Qatar

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Sat

8:00 PM

Sun

Mon

DEBARK

I'm not too overly upset with the change but the cruise is looking more and more like a floating hotel.....changes were made on March 2 sailing also.

9 minutes ago, little britain said:

And possibly also due to feedback and complaints from guesst on board that the port is a 45min and  $20pp transfer from town, they are dropped in town not even at a mall, and some have said that their phones (google maps) will not work so they have no way of knowing where they are.  I wasn't going to even bother going ashore - another pool day for us. But overjoyed with an overnight in AD as a replacement. 

🤣 You're right!  On my cruise it was 25 euros to get a shuttle to the mall.  I said bump that, and I like walking so I walked over 2 - 2 1/2 hours in one direction to just make it out of the port.  That's no exaggeration.  When I finally made it over the bridge into civilization, I found the Noor Hotel and went inside to see if I could exchange some money to use on the local bus.  The guys at the front desk were just too funny so we talked awhile and they exchanged my UAE dirhams for Bahrain currency, enough for two rides.

So, I walked to the bus stop and took the bus which actually took me on a round-trip tour of the city, on one ticket. It even had WiFi.  That was better than going on the shuttle because I got to go into neighborhoods and places that most tourists never see, including the mega city center Mall.  But, I had to walk back to the ship also.  But, I have good memories of being there.