Train or Bus from Seward to Anchorage?

lks1165

The views are pretty much the same with the exception that the train travels through the Placer River Valley that includes traveling past Grandview and Spencer Glacier which the bus does not. The train would be more scenic. The problem with either option is that if you see something of interest you won’t be able to pull over like you would with a rental. There are occasionally beluga whales in Turnagain Arm and Dall sheep along the cliffs, also an infrequent bore tide.

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

The views are pretty much the same with the exception that the train travels through the Placer River Valley that includes traveling past Grandview and Spencer Glacier which the bus does not. The train would be more scenic. The problem with either option is that if you see something of interest you won’t be able to pull over like you would with a rental. There are occasionally beluga whales in Turnagain Arm and Dall sheep along the cliffs, also an infrequent bore tide.

On the plus side though, on the train you can take pictures while moving more easily than trying to do so while driving. The Mrs. frowns upon me doing that. 😉

Book GoldStar class and you'll be in a glass-dome car with a view out both sides.

• Like 1

Maybe there is another train option, but when taking the Alaska Railroad train from Seward to Anchorage, the only one that I am aware of departs Seward for Anchorage at 6:00 p.m, arriving around 10 p.m. We took that, but at least in September, there was only about 2 hours of daylight before it got dark so no views of Turnaround Bay etc.

19 hours ago, lynncarol said:

Maybe there is another train option, but when taking the Alaska Railroad train from Seward to Anchorage, the only one that I am aware of departs Seward for Anchorage at 6:00 p.m, arriving around 10 p.m. We took that, but at least in September, there was only about 2 hours of daylight before it got dark so no views of Turnaround Bay etc.

I think the cruise line may have another train.

In the attached map, you'll see that the tracks run parallel to the hwy beween Anchorage and Portage Lake.  Close enough that you can see the train during that segment.  But just below Portage Lake, the tracks go east and provide views of the glacier, whereas the Seward hwy (hwy #1 )  veers to the left and misses those views.  At Moose Lake they start running parallel again to Seward.

https://www.alaska.org/assets/content/maps/Transportation_Map.pdf

I've never taken the train but people rave about it ! 

I've driven a rental car or RV between Anc and Seward over a dozen times and always enjoy the drive; there's always something different to do and see. 

Don't think I'd bother with Goldstar service.  Even with Adventure class  you can still wander around the train and you have access to the Vista Dome.  Personal preference I guess, plus I'm a budget traveller .

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/onboard-experience/adventure-class

You'll find plenty of video of both on youtube.  Just search for 'train from Seward to Anchorage'  or  'drive from seward to anc'.  

Edited by mapleleaves

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Ricks said:

If we take the train from Seward to anchorage in May, where the train stops is it far away from the airport. We plan to rent a car and stay another 5 days traveling around the area.

The cruise contracted train stops at the airport, but the regular train goes to the depot  in downtown Anchorage.  A cab will be about $20.  If you can get a better deal on a rental car downtown, it's worth the cab fare.