Actor suing Princess over Bed Bugs on EMERALD

Steelers36

One would have to be in serious denial to believe that bed bugs are not a recurring problem on cruise ships.  You have 1,000s of people swapping in and out of a ship's cabins on a regular basis (much like a hotel).  Many of these people have also stayed in a hotel prior to boarding the ship. It would be far more surprising if bed bugs were not frequently present on cruise ships.  Certainly not on every cruise, and only in a very small percentage of the cabins, but still a problem for the unlucky few.  Why so many seem to doubt this story is a mystery to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mnocket said:

One would have to be in serious denial to believe that bed bugs are not a recurring problem on cruise ships.  You have 1,000s of people swapping in and out of a ship's cabins on a regular basis (much like a hotel).  Many of these people have also stayed in a hotel prior to boarding the ship. It would be far more surprising if bed bugs were not frequently present on cruise ships.  Certainly not on every cruise, and only in a very small percentage of the cabins, but still a problem for the unlucky few.  Why so many seem to doubt this story is a mystery to me.

Exactly, the same as hotels/airlines/trains/buses/theaters etc etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

And access to the Elite gathering.

Who wants people with cooties at any onboard gathering?  That could be a new Captain's Circle level, enough bug bites you have puts you at the Cootie Level.  You would get tenders specifically reserved for PAX at your CC level, your own section in theater, buffet, and MDR.  As a matter of fact, you could have full table service in the buffet so you won't need to be near that icky food area.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Doug R. said:

If there really was a bedbug problem that was widespread on the Emerald it would have been a hot topic here accompanied by outraged chest beating from the usual suspects whether they were on the Emerald or not.

Luckily the usual apologists show up, right on schedule.

I know of two crew member who had bed bugs in their cabins.

In the first case, they took absolutely everything out of her cabin ... "down to the bare metal".

...and eventually let her move back.  She was annoyed at having to basically live in the corridor.

In the other case, a new waiter came onboard, and brought the bed bugs with her.

It's an unfortunate situation for the business.

If it's something like kitchen cleanliness, it's very easy to assign blame.

But, if a company is doing everything right, and a guest brings bedbugs with them,

who is wrong?

• Like 4

I question the accuracy of the reports.  I was on the Emerald Princess over Thanksgiving weekend.  It was a 15-night cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to LA through the Panama Canal.  We disembarked in LA on December 3.  It was not an Emerald Princess cruise over that weekend from LA to Mexico.

Edited by Sea&SkiCruiser

On celebrity, a couple we met in Blu said they had bed bugs in their cabin.  That room and surrounding were treated and they were moved.  I think these can be in limited outbreaks as well.  They found the bugs day 2 and said it was resolved for them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Agree....it happens in the best of hotels and homes so I have no doubt that it could easily happen to Princess......we have been on Princess ships on many turn around days and they do not really do that much special cleaning in cabins when a cabin is vacated and then re-occupied that same day....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Looking carefully at the video, you can see a bedbug.  there are a couple of blood stains, but there is a bed bug as well, separate from the blood stains (up and to the right, the blob that is alone).  You can make out the legs.

How does "mybedbuglawyer" hope to prove that the bedbugs were not brought aboard by his clients?   He can do this only if the prior occupants of that cabin had a problem with bedbugs!

Disgusting pests, but not life-threatening.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

They're looking for a settlement from a large corporation.  If those bedbugs were there before these people came aboard, then previous PAX who stayed in the same cabin would have the same problem.  How does the plaintiff prove they didn't bring the insects onboard in their own luggage?  Did they stay in a 'flea bag' hotel the night before the cruise?  Bedbugs from there could have gotten into their luggage from there because they also wanted to see Cabo...

19 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Looking carefully at the video, you can see a bedbug.  there are a couple of blood stains, but there is a bed bug as well, separate from the blood stains (up and to the right, the blob that is alone).  You can make out the legs.

How does "mybedbuglawyer" hope to prove that the bedbugs were not brought aboard by his clients?   He can do this only if the prior occupants of that cabin had a problem with bedbugs!

Disgusting pests, but not life-threatening.  

Hmmmm…..:classic_wacko: 

so i'm calling shenanigans.  i believe that PR site is just a place where anyone who pays can have a press release.  this press release was from an obvious ambulance chaser, or should i say bug chaser, law firm and this is free advertisement.

i expect if properly reported on board, princesss would fix the mattress/linens, and provide laundry service and maybe obc.  all of that seems reasonable.  as others hav said bved bugs are a fact of life and happen at all kinds of quality establishments.

i'm not apologizing for princess, i'm calling the pr site shammy and the content of the presss release an advertisement.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

They're looking for a settlement from a large corporation.  If those bedbugs were there before these people came aboard, then previous PAX who stayed in the same cabin would have the same problem.  How does the plaintiff prove they didn't bring the insects onboard in their own luggage?  Did they stay in a 'flea bag' hotel the night before the cruise?  Bedbugs from there could have gotten into their luggage from there because they also wanted to see Cabo...

Obviously many of the posters in this thread have no idea about bed bugs. You don't need to be in a fleabag Motel to experience bed bugs. Happens even in "high end" hotels. You also don't need to have a large outbreak in many rooms. It often happens in just one room. Maybe do a little more research before posting things you know little or nothing about 🙂

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I was on one Princess cruise where I got bed bug bites.  I wasn't insistent they were bed bugs but, upon notifying the room steward, he reported it to the hotel manager and he confirmed it.  That mattress and all bedding was replaced asap and and we didn't experience them again throughout the remainder of the cruise.  Problem reported, problem solved!!  I didn't make a big deal out of it and neither did Princess ... it was just cleaned up.  Luckily, it must not have been a widespread infestation although, I later found out that the passengers in the cabin next door also had the same issue.  

Now, there was another cruise I was on that went down to Mexico and was covered in bites.  It was from going into the jungle down in Puerto Vallarta, not from the ship.  I realize some people are allergic to bug bites but just take a little cortisone cream to dab on your skin and that should take care of that.  If actual bed bugs are found, be sure to unpack outside and wrap up your luggage out in the garage so you don't bring them into your home.  '

I just don't see blaming everything on the cruise line.  It's most likely that these bugs are brought onboard by you or another passenger.  

You are on the money as to how they can get in a room and how to prevent them at home. 

If we have any concerns on the rooms we have been to, we use the dump everything in the bathtub method. In the last 10 year's, we have done this twice.

If you do a bit of research, you will find there has been a surge of bed bug complaints at high level establishments.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vampiress said:

so i'm calling shenanigans.  i believe that PR site is just a place where anyone who pays can have a press release.  this press release was from an obvious ambulance chaser, or should i say bug chaser, law firm and this is free advertisement.

i expect if properly reported on board, princesss would fix the mattress/linens, and provide laundry service and maybe obc.  all of that seems reasonable.  as others hav said bved bugs are a fact of life and happen at all kinds of quality establishments.

i'm not apologizing for princess, i'm calling the pr site shammy and the content of the presss release an advertisement.

In the link I posted a few hours back, the couple indicated they went to medical to complain. Sound like their interests were jaded. After going to medical they said princess was slow to respond. Still no indication they told the steward or hotel staff. 

1 minute ago, frugaltravel said:

Obviously many of the posters in this thread have no idea about bed bugs. You don't need to be in a fleabag Motel to experience bed bugs. You also don't need to have a large outbreak in many rooms. It often happens in just one room. Maybe do a little more research before posting things you know little or nothing about 🙂

I happen to take umbrage about YOU talking about people spouting off about things they know nothing about.  Maybe you could do a little research into my life experience before posting things about me and what I know or don't know.  :classic_angry: 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I happen to take umbrage about YOU talking about people spouting off about things they know nothing about.  Maybe you could do a little research into my life experience before posting things about me and what I know or don't know.  :classic_angry: 

Talking about flea bag hotels as the source was enough. That was you not me who said that 😀

Edited by frugaltravel

3 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

In the link I posted a few hours back, the couple indicated they went to medical to complain. Sound like their interests were jaded. After going to medical they said princess was slow to respond. Still no indication they told the steward or hotel staff. 

yes, several news sites have picked it up from the pr link.  i'm still saying the whole story is advertisement for this law firm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Talking about flea bag hotels as the source was enough 😀

Thank you for the education.  Now I know that one does not get any bedbugs from fleabag hotels.  I wonder why you're so defensive about fleabags?

1 minute ago, frugaltravel said:

As some who posted who are more informed than others realize, bed bugs don't need to come from low end motels. Plenty of high end hotels have have had bedbugs.

And the occurrence is increasing.

We always check the mattress now days where ever we stay.

Haven't had them in one of our rooms, but did have a bad ant infestation in one. Looked like someone spilled a coke between the headboard and the mattress.

• Like 2