Actor suing Princess over Bed Bugs on EMERALD

Steelers36

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Thank you for the education.  Now I know that one does not get any bedbugs from fleabag hotels.  I wonder why you're so defensive about fleabags?

This raises an interesting question (interesting to me, anyway).  How are relations between bedbugs and fleas?  Both are blood suckers, but the flea tends to stay on the host longer than the bedbug does.  Do they compete?  Do they cooperate?  Do they ignore each other?

I have seen bedbugs attacking/killing a cockroach in an enclosed space -- I put a live cockroach into a tightly covered petri dish with three live bedbugs and watched the ensuing battle.  The bedbugs ate the roach.  But I did not have any fleas to experiment with.  

Daniel, if we can get both bedbugs and fleas at the same time, I'll experiment with them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting article.  We have been fortunate to have spend far more then 1000 nights on cruise ships with nary a bedbug bite.  But we have other friends who have been "bitten by the bug."  We were recently on the Emerald on her repo cruise from Europe and did not suffer any ill effects.  I guess it is luck of the draw.

Hank

We were on the same cruise too without any problems.

3 hours ago, Sea&SkiCruiser said:

I question the accuracy of the reports.  I was on the Emerald Princess over Thanksgiving weekend.  It was a 15-night cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to LA through the Panama Canal.  We disembarked in LA on December 3.  It was not an Emerald Princess cruise over that weekend from LA to Mexico.

In another article I read their cruise was in November 2018. Took them more than  a year to file suit 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I was on one Princess cruise where I got bed bug bites.  I wasn't insistent they were bed bugs but, upon notifying the room steward, he reported it to the hotel manager and he confirmed it.  That mattress and all bedding was replaced asap and and we didn't experience them again throughout the remainder of the cruise.  Problem reported, problem solved!!  I didn't make a big deal out of it and neither did Princess ... it was just cleaned up.  Luckily, it must not have been a widespread infestation although, I later found out that the passengers in the cabin next door also had the same issue.  

Now, there was another cruise I was on that went down to Mexico and was covered in bites.  It was from going into the jungle down in Puerto Vallarta, not from the ship.  I realize some people are allergic to bug bites but just take a little cortisone cream to dab on your skin and that should take care of that.  If actual bed bugs are found, be sure to unpack outside and wrap up your luggage out in the garage so you don't bring them into your home.  '

I just don't see blaming everything on the cruise line.  It's most likely that these bugs are brought onboard by you or another passenger.  

We always have a black light with us & we check in the corners of the mattress & if they are there you see them with the black light .Available on Amazon.com 

Yes best to place luggage in the bathroom tile floor before checking for bed bugs  .That way ,if they were there your luggage would not get infected 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this case is in trouble. The lawyer is building a business around bedbugs.... that is fine and it could be a good business, maybe.  The lawyer may know bedbugs, but now he is sailing into Admiralty Law which is under its own set of rules and how to do things. Kind of like asking a top ER Doctor to do a heart transplant.... He maybe a get doctor but it requires very special skills.

My opinion is the lawyer is using this case to promote himself and get other business. He knows he cannot take on Carnival Corporation, with its hundreds of lawyers and billions and win....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Curious, how would you have known?

considering how fast news and rumors propagate on a cruise ship during a voyage I am pretty sure that if someone had an issue it would become fairly common knowledge fairly quickly. I doubt that someone would run into a bedbug infestation and not mention it to customer service desk, medical check in desk where other passengers can hear, as well as not mention it to other passengers. Even the slightest hint of bedbugs on a cruise ship would propagate almost as fast as someone yelling fire in a theater.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pablo222 said:

Don't ever go to a 'Crab House'.

Just a lot of people sitting around scratching.  🙂

Reminds me of billboards one passes on the drive to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  I don't think I can repeat what it says here but it has something to do with the name of the restaurant where one gets crabs on the Outer Banks...:classic_biggrin:  :classic_blush: 

5 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

I think this case is in trouble. The lawyer is building a business around bedbugs.... that is fine and it could be a good business, maybe.  The lawyer may know bedbugs, but now he is sailing into Admiralty Law which is under its own set of rules and how to do things. Kind of like asking a top ER Doctor to do a heart transplant.... He maybe a get doctor but it requires very special skills.

My opinion is the lawyer is using this case to promote himself and get other business. He knows he cannot take on Carnival Corporation, with its hundreds of lawyers and billions and win....

IRRC, the press release from the buggy lawyer states the lawsuit is filed by buggy lawyer and names a maritime lawyer as co-counsel.  Lawyers who take on a case like this should be remembered in case you ever need to look for a good attorney.

41 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

The news link I posted has certainly stirred up a lot of conversation.  Lot of folks bugged about this one for sure.  😎

Some seem to be downright ticked off. I doubt anyone will flea from Princess in the end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, tmt218 said:

In another article I read their cruise was in November 2018. Took them more than  a year to file suit 🤔

I read November 2018 as well.

Over Thanksgiving in 2018 the Emerald Princess did a round trip out of LA November 20th to 25th.

Seems like a long time ago for this to be getting time on the news now.

I guess the bed bug lawyers are really busy and backed up.

1 hour ago, skeetns said:

I read November 2018 as well.

Over Thanksgiving in 2018 the Emerald Princess did a round trip out of LA November 20th to 25th.

Seems like a long time ago for this to be getting time on the news now.

I guess the bed bug lawyers are really busy and backed up.

Maybe bedbug guy 'bit off more than he could chew..'  :classic_blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, npcl said:

considering how fast news and rumors propagate on a cruise ship during a voyage I am pretty sure that if someone had an issue it would become fairly common knowledge fairly quickly. I doubt that someone would run into a bedbug infestation and not mention it to customer service desk, medical check in desk where other passengers can hear, as well as not mention it to other passengers. Even the slightest hint of bedbugs on a cruise ship would propagate almost as fast as someone yelling fire in a theater.

This sounds a bit like saying "if I didn't hear about something, it didn't happen".  Not a convincing argument to me.  I certainly don't believe that I hear of everything that happens to fellow paxs on a cruise.  I'm sure people have died, been injured, etc. during my cruises and i never knew about it. I've never heard about a bed bug problem on any of my cruises, but I would be foolish to think it didn't occur sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, vampiress said:

so i'm calling shenanigans.  i believe that PR site is just a place where anyone who pays can have a press release.  this press release was from an obvious ambulance chaser, or should i say bug chaser, law firm and this is free advertisement.

i expect if properly reported on board, princesss would fix the mattress/linens, and provide laundry service and maybe obc.  all of that seems reasonable.  as others hav said bved bugs are a fact of life and happen at all kinds of quality establishments.

i'm not apologizing for princess, i'm calling the pr site shammy and the content of the presss release an advertisement.

Both things could be true.  Princess was slow to respond to this couples bed bug complaint and this site/lawyer have questionable motives.

There may well have been bedbugs. I am sure there have been cases on Princess. It is not a matter of cleanliness. All it takes is one passenger or crew member to bring them on.

But $75000 - come on.

Edited by RMMariner
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

There may well have been bedbugs. I am sure there have been cases on Princess. It is not a matter of cleanliness. All it takes is one passenger or crew member to bring them on.

But $75000 - come on.

You can pick up bedbugs almost anywhere, theaters, libraries, airplane seats, rented cars - anywhere someone else with bedbugs in their clothing sat or slept before you.  It's as much a matter of cleanliness as having a mosquito feasting on you in your sleep.

I read the article and watched the video of the 2 bugs crawling across the bedding. It did really seem like the couples is seeking publicity, since the terms actor and actress and their movie keep being mentioned. The video was for sure taken in a Princess stateroom because I can see the classic headboard. How can you know if they’re sand fleas or bedbugs? I just find it really hard to believe that Princess wouldn’t have immediately taken action if it was truly bedbugs. They don’t want the bad press! And yes, this was all the way back in November of 2018! Did they really wait a year to file the lawsuit??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I read the article and watched the video of the 2 bugs crawling across the bedding. It did really seem like the couples is seeking publicity, since the terms actor and actress and their movie keep being mentioned. The video was for sure taken in a Princess stateroom because I can see the classic headboard. How can you know if they’re sand fleas or bedbugs? I just find it really hard to believe that Princess wouldn’t have immediately taken action if it was truly bedbugs. They don’t want the bad press! And yes, this was all the way back in November of 2018! Did they really wait a year to file the lawsuit??

bedbuglawyer was prolly engaged long before the actual suit was filed … negotiating with Princess/Carnival … to no avail … then the suit had to be filed .. maybe because of some SOL

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 10:07 AM, JennyB1977 said:

That looks like a flea...Maybe she brought it on board or a so called emotional support animal brought it on board.

• Haha 2