Mexican Riviera

wendyp247

Trying to decide to take this cruise on Carnival Panorama.We have been to all 3 ports previously. We are probably just interesting in walking around on our own.  Is is safe in all the ports to walk on your own. We are drinkers so we aren't looking for any bars.  Any suggestions on interesting excursions. We are from Florida so not looking for  beaches. Thanks, 

All of these ports are reasonably safe, if you are just doing non-adventurous self-touring.  I have been to each of them many times, and have seen no violence against the tourists.  [Now, if you venture into Adult venues or drug operations, all bets are off!]

There's a posting on this board about the Blue Line in Mazatlan. When you get off the ship there are American expats along the route and offering maps (see photo). They can be identified by their blue shirts. There's a blue line in the street directing you to the Old Town where there are restaurants, shops, a historic theater with guided tours, and a nice plaza that generally has street entertainers.

We walked to Old Town, the Cathedral (where there is another plaza), the Municipal Market (a fun experience), and then over to the Malecon and back to the ship. Our route was probably around five leisurely miles in total and we spent most of the day doing it. Going just to Old Town and back to the ship is a round trip of about a mile and a half. Most of the route is flat. The only hill we had was the route we took from the Malecon to the ship, although we could have traveled a flatter route if we wanted to. We felt perfectly safe walking through the neighborhoods. Plus, the neighborhoods were beautiful.

Although most people go to the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta, this past time we went I decided to explore the immediate port area, and was pleasantly surprised. There's a small open market area near the beach, and then a string of all inclusive resorts. If you like walking on the beach, and have been to Puerto Vallarta before, this area is a nice alternative that doesn't require a cab or bus ride. I certainly recommend taking a cab to the Malecon and beach for first time visitors, but I did enjoy walking around the area near the port.

If you are walkers, in Cabo I walked the entire perimeter of the harbor to Medano Beach and back. Again, totally safe.

IMG_6529.jpg

• Like 1

DH and i walked the blue line in Mazatlan in November. It was a pleasant walk. Although, it was super humid to this So Cal girl... I was not used to that at all. 

From the Old Town area, we took one of the many open taxis (converted VW bugs). We really enjoyed the guided tour.