Scotland Experts - Which Excursion?

PRS3191

Hello! 

WiIll be in Scotland for the first time in August and am hoping any Scotland experts would advise me as to which of the two tours listed below would be the most scenic/interesting?  I understand this is very subjective but would appreciate any first hand opinions to better make a choice.  Thanks!

https://discoverscotlandtours.com/tours/highland-lochs-glens-castles-shore-excursion/

https://discoverscotlandtours.com/tours/loch-lomond-stirling-castle-trossachs-shore-excursion/

Over many years of visiting Scotland I can say that both will give you a good day out.  

Trossachs is great scenery and on the boundary between Lowlands and Highlands and you will get to see Stirling Castle, similar to Edinburgh, but smaller.  Not sure what you will gain from driving through Glasgow.

Inverary wins it for me over Callendar which is a street of ice cream shops and 'Tartan outlets'!

You have to go out of your way to get to Inverary so it is quieter and it is in a spectacular location.  Never been to the castle (which is more of a Country House) as we are usually there in winter when it is closed.  Jail is worth seeing,  There is also a really good whisky shop on the High Street (which may cloud my judgement as to why I prefer it!)

Luss is beautiful and unexpected as it is just off the very busy main road to the north west of Scotland.  You may see the floatplane doing trips from Loch Lomond (pity you won't get chance to try it, its amazing).

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I'm an expert. I am Scottish and know both areas well. My preference would be for oTur 2. I think the Trossachs is less congested and one of my favourite parts of Scotland - the Highlands in miniature.  Everything in Tour 2  is worth seeing and you get to Doune and Stirling Castles, of far greater historic importance than Inveraray. Likewise William Wallace is an iconic figure in Scottish history.  I agree Callander is a bit touristy but for that reason an ideal place for lunch - and there's a whisky shop there too. Luss is on both tours  and is a pretty little village

• Like 1

Last Summer, we met some people from England and they live just at the border

of Scotland and England Whatever you do, be sure and book right away. They said

that Scotland is very crowded in August; lots of events and the Highland Games!

On 1/20/2020 at 1:38 AM, nini said:

Last Summer, we met some people from England and they live just at the border

of Scotland and England Whatever you do, be sure and book right away. They said

that Scotland is very crowded in August; lots of events and the Highland Games!

I wouldn't particularly say that the highland games attract tourists particularly as there's so many of them all round Scotland spread over the Summer / early Autumn. However tourist from all over the World visit in August and places do get booked up early. Edinburgh in particular is too busy in August these days as the Edinburgh Fringe Festival has grown out of all proportion. However as the OP is on a cruise, it won't particularly matter 

Tour 2 says if time permits a visit will be made to George Square in Glasgow,Travelling from Stirling to Greenock will be on the M8,M80 motorways,not like mororways in the USA ,but they can get busy especilly the M8 which runs through the centre of the city , and tends to get heavily congested cossing the Kingston Bridge and for a couple of miles to the White Cart Viaduct at Glasgow Airport.with not much of a scenic nature to look at.

Tour 1 doesnt have much travel on motorways other than a few miles from Greenock to the Erskine Bridge