Oslo: Holmenkollen on your own from the cruise terminal

Wayfairers

We are going to book an afternoon bike tour to see the main things we want to see in Oslo when we are there in May. I’ve been exploring options for the morning.  Holmenkollen looks like an interesting place, but I am having trouble finding how to get there.  Has anyone done visited Holmenkollen from the cruise terminal without a tour?  I think we may be able to take public transportation most of the way and walk the last bit, but I can’t find definitive answers.

What do you plan to do at Holmenkollen? Visit the ski museum and ski jump? If so, it’s a 15-20 minute uphill walk from the metro station. The route is mostly straightforward, but it’s easy to miss the pedestrian stairway on the far side of the lower parking lot, which shaves off quite a bit of distance compared to following the road. https://goo.gl/maps/hWwvXxU7YSCfkZ6ZA

If your ship docks at the main Akershuskaia quay (pier assignments for 2020 have not yet been published), you can reach the Nationaltheatret metro station by heading towards the city hall and then straight up Olav Vs gate (under construction this year, but still open to pedestrian traffic): https://goo.gl/maps/88QBaooTpyLcQAmR6 The entrance for the westbound trains is on the far side of the square.

If your tour ends elsewhere in the city, it may be more convenient to use a different station. All of the metro lines stop at each of the stations in the city center. The line 1 runs every 15 minutes.

Edited by kaisatsu

• 2 weeks later...