Bergen

dsa181920

We will be cruising on Celebrity at the end of June. Our first port is Bergen. We’d like to see the Bryggen Wharf area and take the funicular.   Is it possible to walk from port to this area? Would we need transportation or would it be better to book an excursion.

Sallie

3 minutes ago, dsa181920 said:

We will be cruising on Celebrity at the end of June. Our first port is Bergen. We’d like to see the Bryggen Wharf area and take the funicular.   Is it possible to walk from port to this area? Would we need transportation or would it be better to book an excursion.

Sallie

We've walked. It takes about 20 minutes if you stroll. Right across from the port is the Bergenhus Fortress which is worth a visit (if I recall correctly we climbed some stairs --kind of hidden by foliage but clearly used-- that were almost directly across from the port entrance to get to the "castle").  You can walk along the shoreline to the fish market and follow the signs for the funicular (about 10 minutes or so from the fish market). We also enjoyed the Hanseatic Museum which is on your way to Bryggen market.

5 hours ago, dsa181920 said:

We will be cruising on Celebrity at the end of June

Different cruise terminals in Bergen - if 'Silhouette' June 29, the terminal will be Jekteviksterminalen 2 and not the cruise terminal as 'Traveling Library' is referring to.

However still possible to walk - 2 km to Bryggen Wharf and Fløybanen funicular.  You'll then pass by the Fish Market.

We've stopped both outside Bergen and right in the docks on different cruises. When outside it's a few km away so got the ships shuttle in & walked to fish market. Bryggen & funicular. Best to do the funicular early as cruise buses arrive mid morning onwards & take up multiple cars. The view from the top is great!

Fish market an eye opener. You will be able to try whale & reindeer meat. Theres an indoor food market between the fish market & funicular, sorry cant be more specific, just remember there were lots of stall & street food!

On 1/17/2020 at 1:11 AM, dsa181920 said:

Sallie

We did just that and it was an easy walk even with a wheelchair passenger. Once up at the top, walking down is a nice option, although not available to us because of the chair. All the best, Tony

This is a picture of Bergen taken from the top of the Funicular line.  It's a great way to look out over the city.

On the far RIGHT of the picture, you can see a couple ships at the "closer in" pier where some ships dock.  From here, you can easily walk to the Bryggen Wharf area and the rest of the tourist central sites.  You can also walk to the lower station of the funicular quite easily.  The tourist area is around the water inlet you see on the right side of the photo.

On the far LEFT of the picture, you can see a couple more ships at another pier that is further away from the tourist area.  I would not suggest walking from here.  Our ship was one of these 2 in the picture.  The ship (or the city) offered a shuttle into the central tourist area.  I don't recall if it was a free shuttle or if I had to pay something for it.  The shuttle bus dropped us off at a park area somewhere in the lower left corner area of the photo.  From there, I walked to the funicular station first to beat the crowds.  Then after I rode the funicular back down, I explored the rest of the tourist area, including Bryggen.  I then walked back to the park where the shuttle bus took us back to the ship.

2011-07 Bergen-041.jpeg

Edited by MeHeartCruising

we've found 'downtown' Bergen to be very walkable and walked pulling wheeled suitcases from 'main' cruise terminal to a hotel near the lower station of Funic' (despite cobblestones) This .6 mile walk takes you right down Byggen and ends at the fish market

image.thumb.png.4ce40a368fba4d0edea85e13d71cb2fe.png

from the alternate terminals mentioned, a lil further but still walkable IMO.

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

23 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

On the far LEFT of the picture, you can see a couple more ships at another pier that is further away from the tourist area.  I would not suggest walking from here.  Our ship was one of these 2 in the picture.  The ship (or the city) offered a shuttle into the central tourist area.  I don't recall if it was a free shuttle or if I had to pay something for it.  The shuttle bus dropped us off at a park area somewhere in the lower left corner area of the photo.  From there, I walked to the funicular station first to beat the crowds.  Then after I rode the funicular back down, I explored the rest of the tourist area, including Bryggen.  I then walked back to the park where the shuttle bus took us back to the ship.

2011-07 Bergen-041.jpeg

I was hoping there would be some type of shuttle. We are going to be at the pier that is further away from tourist area.

Sallie