Kosher?

Justalone

28 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I don't know as any keep a kosher galley, but I have heard that many lines can provide kosher meals.  From what I've read they sound kind of like TV dinners that are prepared off-site, wrapped, and ordered for the cruise.

Now that makes sense. Thanks.

Only one mainstream cruise line maintained a kosher kitchen onboard.

That was Cunard. They discontinued the practice a few years ago.

Not all cruise lines will provide kosher food with advance request - but most will.

Bear in mind that the choices are usually quite limited.

The kosher meals are prepared commercially in a kosher kitchen ashore.

Then sealed by a Rabbi in a styrofoam container, frozen, and made available on ships.

They are micro-waved, then the styrofoam box is opened in front of the kosher diner.

Plastic utensils and paper napkins are provided - to maintain kosher. 

Over the 3+ decades I have been serving these meals onboard ships, the overall satisfaction levels have not been very good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Royal Caribbean  was offering a kosher cruise option during Yeshivah Week.

There was talk of NCL doing something but am not sure if it ever came about. 

My friends have gone on regular cruises and are able to choose from a kosher menu ahead of time. Food is prepared ahead.  everything is double wrapped. Depends on what hechsher you need.

Some friends eat dairy or fish out. The Israelies who kept kosher on a recent Princess cruise seemed pretty happy. 

And of course there is Kosherica.

I remember at work the discussion  being... is it better to go on a kosher cruise or a regular cruise and eat the kosher prepackaged meals.  

Also how does the cruise line handle Shabbos door entry? 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 3:29 PM, clo said:

So they all keep a kosher kitchen? Wow, that kinda blows my mind.

They don't. 

Kosher meals, resembling TV dinners, are ordered from land-based kosher kitchens, and sealed in double-wrapped packages.  The outer wrapper is taken off by the line cook who heats the meal; the inner wrapper is taken off by you, the diner.  Flatware is plastic/disposable, because the koshering process for regular flatware and plates is impossible to do on a mass-market ship. 

Depending on how strict they follow kosher laws, Jewish passengers can also eat fresh fruit, bread, and other parve (neither meat nor dairy) foods off the buffet.  Some packaged foods are OK too, provided that they have a rabbinical kosher symbol on it, like OU, CRC, or Kaf-K.

Source: I'm Jewish. :classic_smile:

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Source: I'm Jewish. :classic_smile:

Thanks for sharing. I've wondered about such things, not just cruises. I'm guessing a totally compliant kosher Jew would not be happy...to say the least.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

Thanks for sharing. I've wondered about such things, not just cruises. I'm guessing a totally compliant kosher Jew would not be happy...to say the least.

He definitely would not.  Judaism provides a few limited leniences for travelers when it comes to kosher laws.  But whether or not a closed-loop pleasure cruise is a form of travel... well, only an experienced rabbi can answer that for sure.  There are specialized kosher cruises on fully chartered ships, so highly observant Jews are better off sailing on those.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

He definitely would not.  Judaism provides a few limited leniences for travelers when it comes to kosher laws.  But whether or not a closed-loop pleasure cruise is a form of travel... well, only an experienced rabbi can answer that for sure.  There are specialized kosher cruises on fully chartered ships, so highly observant Jews are better off sailing on those.

Thanks. Those specialized cruises sound like the way to go. Regarding kosher eating, the complications seem huge. Certainly not just on a ship.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What has not been mentioned is that there is kosher and there is kosher and there is kosher.   There are also at least1000 or more kosher certifying agencies out there all of which compete for business (you pay the agency to certify your product) and all of which have different nuances of kosherness.  A product that may be approved may not be approved by another agency.  How strictly you observe the rules for kosherness will determine which agency you will trust.  In some instances your rabbi will tell you what agency (note the use of the singular and the plural noun) he trusts.

This basically means that I doubt that any cruise line is going to enter the minefield of saying that they have a kosher cruise.  If being really kosher on a cruise is important to you then the solution is to take group cruise which brings their own rabbi and their own mashgiach (look this up on Wikipedia) and you have to know who these people are before you book the cruise.

As with most ultra-observant people in any religion - it is complicated.

DON

• Like 1

22 hours ago, donaldsc said:

it is complicated.

As a Christian with Jewish friends, it has been an educational experience for me.  My friend's are non-observant, but, a couple of their children are.  I happened to be visiting them during Canadian Thanksgiving and enjoyed Thanksgiving Dinner with my friends and their family including the two who are observant.  My friends had to make accommodations for those who needed a Kosher dinner.  It was interesting to "watch and learn".  The turkey was Kosher.  It was the best turkey that I have ever eaten!  

I agree with you that for a ship's galley to be able to fulfill the different Kosher rules is not realistic.  I am sure that they will do the best that is reasonable to do.  And, I am sure that notice well in advance of one's sailing would help that to occur. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 6:52 PM, donaldsc said:

What has not been mentioned is that there is kosher and there is kosher and there is kosher.   There are also at least1000 or more kosher certifying agencies out there all of which compete for business (you pay the agency to certify your product) and all of which have different nuances of kosherness.  A product that may be approved may not be approved by another agency.  How strictly you observe the rules for kosherness will determine which agency you will trust.  In some instances your rabbi will tell you what agency (note the use of the singular and the plural noun) he trusts.

This basically means that I doubt that any cruise line is going to enter the minefield of saying that they have a kosher cruise.  If being really kosher on a cruise is important to you then the solution is to take group cruise which brings their own rabbi and their own mashgiach (look this up on Wikipedia) and you have to know who these people are before you book the cruise.

As with most ultra-observant people in any religion - it is complicated.

DON

There is of course Kosherica .I assume you are familiar with that .

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...