India Visa

denniseff

Have signed up to travel on the Celebrity Constellation March 2. I am worried about getting my Visa to India in time. Is it possible I could still go on the ship if I certify I will stay onboard while in India ports? Or would I be denied boarding altogether. The ship sails from Dubai and stops in Mumbai on March 07. Any advice appreciated!

On 1/17/2020 at 9:27 AM, denniseff said:

Have signed up to travel on the Celebrity Constellation March 2. I am worried about getting my Visa to India in time. Is it possible I could still go on the ship if I certify I will stay onboard while in India ports? Or would I be denied boarding altogether. The ship sails from Dubai and stops in Mumbai on March 07. Any advice appreciated!

My father booked a South American cruise.  One of the port countries required a Visa, which he didn't have, so they did not allow him to board in Miami.  We got him an emergency Visa and then he had to fly to the next available port the ship was heading to, from Miami.

We did the reverse cruise on the Celebrity Century in 2015. You will not be allowed to board the Celebrity Constellation without the India Visa.

if you haven't already applied for your visa; do so immediately, if you have applied; make a follow up call to  check your status.

Cheers, heather. 

• 2 weeks later...

We did a similar cruise 2 years ago.   There was much discussion on the Roll Call about what would happen if you didn't have an Indian Visa.   The Celebrity Cruises was telling passengers that they would not be allowed to board but when we got to India found there were about 100 passengers that did not have Visas.     They were not allowed off the ship but Celebrity did arrange a special visa for them and they were able to take a special excursion but not permitted to go ashore on their own. 

My understanding is that you can now obtain it electronically ever for cruise passengers much quicker than in the past for a hard visa.

I got my visa for India last year and did it electronically .The form is quite lengthy and they want a lot of information and they want  it completed  PERFECTLY-and I do mean no mistakes  or it will not be accepted!!Plus you have to submit   a passport  size photo with white background  etc.. I believe it was processed and returned in just a week once I submitted the documentation(but do not remember honestly but it wa s a reasonable tiem frame..

Cost for US citizens was about $200, but it is good for 10 years. I ended up going to Chennai April and metme my bf there(he is from Chennai originally) I am so glad I went!!

Edited by wearesiamese

I also have a 10 year visa but understand that late last year they initiated an e-visa that could also be used by cruise passengers.       I read this on another forum -  don't believe I can post the reference -

We are just back from the exact same cruise in india on Celebrity Constellation (Dec 18) - we had a multiple entry visa, but talking to other guests on same cruise majority had e-visa's, with some of them checking with Celebrity that e-visa was enough. We visited Cochin, New Magalore, Goa & Mumbai. (UK Passport). My friend is also going on same cruise in March 19 and spoke to Celebrity and they said e-visa was fine - only if you intended going out of india i.e. Sri Lanka or golden triangle - and not just the ports the cruise was stopping at would you need full visa.

• 4 weeks later...