Hoi vs Hue Vietnam

stan vermeers

We have spent several days in each place.  We enjoyed them immensely, just as we enjoyed all of Vietnam.

These are two very different places so it is very hard to say which one is better.  It depends on your personal preference.  We would return, and will return, to either.  Why not do a little research on your own and then decide on what you think is the best option for you?  Our preference may not in any way reflect your tastes or preferences.

Edited by iancal

We spent time in both Hoi An and Hue during a 3-week land trip in SE Asia.  Both were interesting, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Hoi An.

Despite being very popular with tourists, Hoi An still has an authentic and charming feel.  Old Town is a UNESCO heritage site and most areas are walkable.  It's great to simply wander around and soak up the ambiance. A photographer's dream! There are excellent tailor shops, a vibrant waterfront market, wonderful cooking schools and tasty local specialties. There's also a lovely beach but that's not really what Hoi An is about. 

Hue is more historically significant since it was the ancient capital of Vietnam.  If you're a history buff, seeing the Imperial Citadel and Nguyen tombs would be a must.  But Hue is much larger and full of hustle compared to Hoi An.

Either would be great, but my choice would be Hoi An.

Check your actual port.

If it's Chan May (north of Da Nang), Hue is much closer that Hoi-An.

I too like Hoi -An.

Check if that itinerary also includes China Beach, Mable Mountain or the Giant Buddha - that would seal it for me..

JB :classic_smile: 

3 hours ago, stan vermeers said:

Thank you all so much.  I appreciate your time and suggestion.

Decision made:

Hoi An  our guide includes China Beach and Marble Mt. and the Buddha. 

Hue next time.

Linda

Hi Linda,

You'll do a lot better than us on Marble Mountain.

The steps up to the pagoda are high and steep - but since we were there an elevator has been built :classic_cool:

BTW your guide will want to take you to a marble showroom & workshop on China Beach - they get commission.

The easiest way to say no is to say yes :classic_wink: and spend a few minutes there. It's actually quite interesting. I bought a table ornament (not too large or heavy for flight luggage) for my other half. But I've heard of cruisers buying marble furniture - I wonder if they knew the prospects of damage in shipping, or the cost of transport from the US port of entry to their home.:classic_ohmy:

JB :classic_smile: