Remember tragic accident with toddler? New revelations...

DCP

Grandfather lied the entire time. RCL has footage of him leaning out the open window for 8 seconds while granddaughter is standing nearby. He KNEW that window was open, and has been lying about it. 

Tragic accident that should never have happened. IF the parents had not tried to sue the cruiseline, he more than likely would not have been charged. Sad all the way around, but NOT the cruise lines fault.

Here is the link:  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/granddad-toddler-who-died-cruise-ship-fall-knew-window-was-n1117796?fbclid=IwAR0Y7ILJEbxpbvLw_1e_bPMHQNVon-Tw1YcgoIDWlLcoNNe8abUz53X9jZ4

• Like 6

The grandfather has already been charged in PR. 

The parents hooked up with an ambulance chaser lawyer who convinced them to throw a Hail Mary hoping that the cruise line will settle to save court costs. The ambulance chaser will get 75% of any settlement and can retire in PR in a beach front house.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Well he lied from the beginning.  Changed his story immediately.  Sad situation.  The family desperately wants to blame anyone but grandpa

The ironic thing is, he told the truth in the beginning....

Police said Monday that the grandfather of the 1-year-old girl from Indiana told officers he lost his grip while holding her outside a window on the 11th story of the Freedom of the Seas. He was identified as Salvatorre Anello. - July 8th

....he later changed his story after the family got the lawyer. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The parents hooked up with an ambulance chaser lawyer who convinced them to throw a Hail Mary hoping that the cruise line will settle to save court costs. The ambulance chaser will get 75% of any settlement and can retire in PR in a beach front house.   

75% is much higher than I've ever heard of any lawyer getting on a contingency fee.  I assume you are exaggerating for effect.  But I doubt he'll be retiring after this case as there doesn't seem much chance of a big (if any) settlement.

18 hours ago, DCP said:

Grandfather lied the entire time. RCL has footage of him leaning out the open window for 8 seconds while granddaughter is standing nearby. He KNEW that window was open, and has been lying about it. 

Tragic accident that should never have happened. IF the parents had not tried to sue the cruiseline, he more than likely would not have been charged. Sad all the way around, but NOT the cruise lines fault.

Here is the link:  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/granddad-toddler-who-died-cruise-ship-fall-knew-window-was-n1117796?fbclid=IwAR0Y7ILJEbxpbvLw_1e_bPMHQNVon-Tw1YcgoIDWlLcoNNe8abUz53X9jZ4

Thanks for the update of this terrible tragedy, I have been trying to get information, Yes the video is shocking, you just want to scream "dont do it stop, stop, stop".  The media/family/attorney spin on this tragedy is text case fake news.  It appears the guy literally walks over to the only window that is open, literally sticks his torso half way thru the window (royal Caribbean sais for 8 seconds the first time)  not once but twice and then lifts up the little girl for 34 seconds over the railing (according to Royal) and then the poor little girl is gone. The Press reported that his attorney stated the man turned down a plea deal that would have gave him no jail time.  This came to light because Royal had to defend itself with evidence in a court motion because the family was suing Royal.

Edited by Newleno

It would be hard to believe that anyone other than the Grandpa was negligent in the

outcome. He knows the truth and no matter how it all ends, will live with what he did

until his final breath. Now the entire family together with their shiesty lawyers are

participating in the charade to get some cash from RCL

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jaja said:

All so sad....been following since beginning.  Grandpa is at fault, cruise line is not.  Suit should be dropped. But no matter what happens....it is all a tragedy.

PS--all previous threads on this topic on CC  have been deleted or locked...as I believe this one will be also.

We’re keeping this thread open for discussion.  Please everyone keep it civil so that the thread can remain open 🙂.  

pls email us if you have a question about a post removal — posts discussing moderation also get hidden per the guidelines 

Thanks all 

• Like 13

Not just a tragedy for the parents but the grandpa too. It was negligent but he had no intention of dropping the little one. I can't imagine the horror of watching the little girl slip out of his fingers. And the nightmare of guilt he must feel now. He was untruthful but in the horror of the aftermath, while it's inexcusable, can understand why he lied.

It's all just terribly sad.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, atanac said:

It would be hard to believe that anyone other than the Grandpa was negligent in the

outcome. He knows the truth and no matter how it all ends, will live with what he did

until his final breath. Now the entire family together with their shiesty lawyers are

participating in the charade to get some cash from RCL

I find it disgusting that you think this family filed a lawsuit to cash in, OMG.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Newleno said:

are you saying that the lawsuit was filed and that no monetary compensation is asked of Royal? Sources?

No, I’m saying that I sincerely doubt this lawsuit was filed by the family because they wanted to make money, especially since it was filed right after their toddler was killed in a horrific manner. It seems obvious that they needed to find someone to blame, and a lawyer pounced and gave them the villain. Anyone with an ounce of empathy could imagine their emotional turmoil and despair.

I have no opinion as to blame or negligence on anyone's part.

I took a Cruise over Christmas and kept thinking of this situation every time I looked at any window in the Public or Private areas because they were always covered in Salt and water spots so I wondered how anyone could think a window existed when the view is so drastically different from the panel next to it. It was blatantly obvious whether or not glass was in place.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Not just a tragedy for the parents but the grandpa too. It was negligent but he had no intention of dropping the little one. I can't imagine the horror of watching the little girl slip out of his fingers. And the nightmare of guilt he must feel now. He was untruthful but in the horror of the aftermath, while it's inexcusable, can understand why he lied.

It's all just terribly sad.

If you see the video and the time 34 seconds of the child being exposed, you are in total disbelief as to what you see, the child appears to be over the railing.  After viewing of the video all possibilities of cause must be thoroughly investigated (including mental illness).  As I watched I kept thinking what if I was there?, How do you stop it?  If you approach the man he may get startled and drop her anyway.  

Edited by Newleno

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

No, I’m saying that I sincerely doubt this lawsuit was filed by the family because they wanted to make money, especially since it was filed right after their toddler was killed in a horrific manner. It seems obvious that they needed to find someone to blame, and a lawyer pounced and gave them the villain. Anyone with an ounce of empathy could imagine their emotional turmoil and despair.

The lawsuit was filed in December of 2019, months after the tragedy occurred

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Anyone with an ounce of empathy could imagine their emotional turmoil and despair.

Always made me remember the horrifying tragedy of the alligator and toddler in Florida. Just a nightmare which is beyond comprehension. Peace to this family.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Newleno said:

If you see the video and the time 34 seconds of the child being exposed, you are in total disbelief as to what you see.  After viewing of the video all possibilities of cause must be thoroughly investigated (including mental illness).  As I watched I kept thinking what if I was there?, How do you stop it?  If you approach the man he may get startled and drop her anyway.  

If I were there I wouldn't have interfered because people just get on the defensive and continue with whatever stupid thing they are doing.  I was an older and I thought "cautious mother" but I know I must have done some stupid stuff too.  The difference is, the grandfather got caught with that "one in a million chance" of a disastrous outcome.

13 minutes ago, Newleno said:

The lawsuit was filed in December of 2019, months after the tragedy occurred

I think that some of problem with the lawsuit is that they started talking about a lawsuit almost immediately.  When it was filed, well, it was a long time after the accident; I'm surprised they went ahead with the lawsuit too. 

I feel very sad for the whole family, however, as I said in the other thread, we all know who is at fault, and it wasn't the cruise line. 

• Like 1

It certainly appears that he held her outside of the window for quite some time.  I don't see how they can argue, with a straight face, that he did not know the window was open.   Sad situation.  He should probably be charged with reckless conduct, not just negligent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Lawyer pounced to get $$$$ not justice. And got family to change their memory for $$$$. Grandpa has been charged based on police investigation. Sounds like the police blame grandpa not RCL negligence for having windows on a ship. 

• Like 3