Toddler Death Law Suit Update

50 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

But up to the point of the interview, there should have been a lowest point.  I understand that in the future he may sink lower, but when the interviewer asked the question, Anello said he hadn't hit it. To me, that meant that he felt his lowest point has yet to come.  And to me, that meant his lowest point will be what ends up happening to him.

I bet if he went to jail, he would say that is his lowest point.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This could have been settled outside of court before the plea deal.  RCI isn't interested in settling (at least that's what it appears). 

GF might have not been willing to plead guilty and take a plea bargain prior though too.  

RCI better have a great defense on why this family doesn't deserve a dime from them.  We all cruise, so we get why this family's claim is bogus.  However, have you guys seen what others are saying?  Majority of people commenting recently on websites have so much compassion for this family and see RCI has the enemy.  That's why I wonder whether RCI might prefer to settle outside of court.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

GF might have not been willing to plead guilty and take a plea bargain prior though too.  

RCI better have a great defense on why this family doesn't deserve a dime from them.  We all cruise, so we get why this family's claim is bogus.  However, have you guys seen what others are saying?  Majority of people commenting recently on websites have so much compassion for this family and see RCI has the enemy.  That's why I wonder whether RCI might prefer to settle outside of court.

I must not be going to the same websites, because the ones I've been reading the majority BY FAR has laid the blame at the GF.  Sure there's a handful of outliers who think RCI is to blame, but they've been in the minority.

29 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Why should RCI settle?

They are not to blame.

It was Anellos fault.

I didn't say they should.  PP asked if, now that the criminal trial is over, could the civil case be settled.  I simply pointed out they could have settled at any point. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I must not be going to the same websites, because the ones I've been reading the majority BY FAR has laid the blame at the GF.  Sure there's a handful of outliers who think RCI is to blame, but they've been in the minority.

I didn't say they should.  PP asked if, now that the criminal trial is over, could the civil case be settled.  I simply pointed out they could have settled at any point. 

The civil case should be withdrawn.

We live in the UK and I only became aware of Chloe's sad death when the family wrongly decided to sue RCI.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I follow a couple of news feeds on FB.  It was shocking to read.  I refrained from even commenting.  I was also on the FOX news article comment section too, and it seems like many are on RCI's side at least there.  

I want RCI to fight this and win, I truly do.  However, I know that sometimes these type of cases become nuisance settlements and they will settle outside of court.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Farts said:

How is that pertinent? I don't understand your angle

He had just caused the death of his step grand daughter by his stupid actions and I think most of us in that situation would be absolutely distraught and need some sedatives like Chloe's mam and dad took.

The fact he didn't want any made me very suspicious and watching the video compounded my suspicions of Anellos actions and his subsequent story changes.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, KelSny1011 said:

I follow a couple of news feeds on FB.  It was shocking to read.  I refrained from even commenting.  I was also on the FOX news article comment section too, and it seems like many are on RCI's side at least there.  

I want RCI to fight this and win, I truly do.  However, I know that sometimes these type of cases become nuisance settlements and they will settle outside of court.

If ambulance chaser lawyers continue to win nuisance settlements they will continue to file them until someone says no.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

He had just caused the death of his step grand daughter by his stupid actions and I think most of in that situation would be absolutely distraught and need some sedatives like Chloe's mam and dad took.

The fact he didn't want any made me very suspicious and watching the video compounded my suspicions of Anellos actions and his subsequent story changes.

I have seen TONS of people react to death. I have even seen how others react to death having just killed someone within minutes ago. 

There is a wide range of reactions and you cannot go based on what medications they take. For all you know, that person could have an allergy to all their limited meds on board. 

Not defending him. Just saying that the world is not black or white. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I don't think he can plead the Fifth because it's a civil case.  And he's already been convicted, so I don't even know if, during the deposition he said "Yes, I held her outside the window and intentionally dropped her" if it could be used against him.  I would assume double jeopardy rules would apply. 

Double jeopardy would not apply in this case. If he intentionally dropped her, a whole new set of charges would apply, none of which he's been charged with already.

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

The thing I don’t understand is the parents goal of suing to make cruise ships safer for kids. If this were a common occurrence I would agree, but to my knowledge this is the first time a child has been dropped off a ship like this. Guessing if someone did the math the percentage of this happening is well below 0.25%. 

The lifeguards at pools, good change, this was just a lapse in judgement accident. 

The Wiegand's are just saying they want the ships to be safer as a cover up to try and collect $$$ from RC. There are multiple class of these ships that have been sailing week in and week out for years without anything like this happening. If it was a safety hazard, it would have happened already. It's not the ship design and lack of safety measures, it's was human stupidity..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

you settle if the cost is less than your defense costs. Its a terrible way the US justice system works. . 

Not necessarily. There's the risk of reputation at stake. It may be worth fighting, and paying lawyers to defend their reputation. There's a risk/reward relationship going on, here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

Not necessarily. There's the risk of reputation at stake. It may be worth fighting, and paying lawyers to defend their reputation. There's a risk/reward relationship going on, here.

Money and NDA's trump reputation... plus the risk of losing case

Edited by Tulsacoker

2 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Money and NDA's trump reputation... plus the risk of losing case

Whether people believe it or not, when a company settles a lawsuit, even with an NDA, the big bad company is at fault. The stigma is there, the stigma being, if the company settled without admitting guilt, they must be hiding something. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Farts said:

I have seen TONS of people react to death. I have even seen how others react to death having just killed someone within minutes ago. 

There is a wide range of reactions and you cannot go based on what medications they take. For all you know, that person could have an allergy to all their limited meds on board. 

Not defending him. Just saying that the world is not black or white. 

Good points.

We have only experienced the death of our parents which was terrible.

Chloe's parent's taking sedatives seemed natural in their circumstances and in their jobs as a DA and policeman they probably experienced other people's deaths.

Anello as the cause of Chloe's death is a mystery.

• Like 1

Civil Case: I think all RCCL has to do is show the current SOLAS and/or other applicable codes, demonstrate that they adhered to said codes. Also, demonstrate to the jurors how across all cruise lines, ferries, etc. this is a FIRST and the result of negligent homicide. I think TwinkleToes is hoping a jury will "feel" badly for the loss and compensate based on emotion and not facts. However, I believe this was filed in Federal court and needs to be a unanimous decision. (-https://litigation.findlaw.com/legal-system/must-all-jury-verdicts-be-unanimous.html)

I would probably not get picked for this jury. My sense of logic far outweighs my emotional response.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Civil Case: I think all RCCL has to do is show the current SOLAS and/or other applicable codes, demonstrate that they adhered to said codes. Also, demonstrate to the jurors how across all cruise lines, ferries, etc. this is a FIRST and the result of negligent homicide. I think TwinkleToes is hoping a jury will "feel" badly for the loss and compensate based on emotion and not facts. However, I believe this was filed in Federal court and needs to be a unanimous decision. (-https://litigation.findlaw.com/legal-system/must-all-jury-verdicts-be-unanimous.html)

I would probably not get picked for this jury. My sense of logic far outweighs my emotional response.

As a UK citizen I wouldn't get picked but Pauline's and my mind was made up after seeing the video how guilty he was.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

When Winkleman files a suit his aim is to get a settlement.  I'm encouraged to see Royal standing their ground.

I hope RCI stand their ground.

IMO paying a settlement indicates acceptance of guilt and RCI are blameless and if anyone should be sued it should be Anello.

• Like 9