Toddler Death Law Suit Update

Read a news article abou the Wiegand's lawyer now putting together a class action case with RCCL crew members who got COVIID19 as Plaintiffs.  He may see this case as more promising than one brought by parents of a child whose step-grandfather dangled her outside a window on Deck 11, lost his grip and she fell to her death.  There is video showing the step-grandfather's actions.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Likely for civil matter.  Your passenger contract requires mediation/arbitration prior to any trial.  

The. Criminal matter is totally separate and is in Puerto Rico.  If he's pleading then no trial just appearance before court and putting plea on the record and agreement on sentence.  I can't recall what the plea agreement is but I'm sure someone will find it!  

There will be no criminal trial, he already plead guilty to a lesser charge and will serve no time. The criminal aspect of this case is behind him now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rusty nut said:

There will be no criminal trial, he already plead guilty to a lesser charge and will serve no time. The criminal aspect of this case is behind him now.

Possibly but if he has any humanity in him this event will haunt him for the rest of his life. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rusty nut said:

I probably wasn't clear in my post -- I was writing about the civil lawsuit that they parents brought against RCCL.  

13 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

I probably wasn't clear in my post -- I was writing about the civil lawsuit that they parents brought against RCCL.  

The attorney is doing you know what into the wind. Ambulance chaser. As an example. My son tapped a trucks trailer hitch when coming to a stop. (Lawn maintenance truck) No damage to his or the other vehicle. The guy called one of those TV attorneys. We will get you money. They did. The guy claimed back injuries.

5 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

The attorney is doing you know what into the wind. Ambulance chaser. As an example. My son tapped a trucks trailer hitch when coming to a stop. (Lawn maintenance truck) No damage to his or the other vehicle. The guy called one of those TV attorneys. We will get you money. They did. The guy claimed back injuries.

Can't say I've heard much of anything positive about Winkleman.  In this case he may not have been there before Chloe's body was cold but he certainly made it before the family had any time to process what had happened.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 11:11 AM, cltnccruisers said:

Can't say I've heard much of anything positive about Winkleman.  In this case he may not have been there before Chloe's body was cold but he certainly made it before the family had any time to process what had happened.

I totally agree he was in San Juan as soon as possible after this happened and got media coverage quickly.  Had the parents on the media quickly too.  

On 5/1/2020 at 6:56 PM, SherriZ366 said:

Courts many places on hold, nothing going on for Months now...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

He is guilty and should have plead so long ago...It's him that has carried this on.

JMHO but for him to serve no jail time with this plea bargain is sad.

As far as the civil case they have against RCI...I hope RCI fights to the end. No

way should he or his family gain monetarily from his "Negligent Homicide".

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, Ashland said:

He is guilty and should have plead so long ago...It's him that has carried this on.

As far as the civil case they have against RCI...I hope RCI fights to the end. No

Totally agree!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ashland said:

the value of RC is much less now than it was when this began, I don’t think there is much possibility at all of them writing a check to make this go away. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

the value of RC is much less now than it was when this began, I don’t think there is much possibility at all of them writing a check to make this go away. 

It's not they're writing a check, which the parents, and especially their attorney want, but I hope they don't get pushed into redoing the windows.   It's really hard for a child to reach the window.  They're high enough and have a railing in front.  The parents need to demand something. 

15 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

It's not they're writing a check, which the parents, and especially their attorney want, but I hope they don't get pushed into redoing the windows.   It's really hard for a child to reach the window.  They're high enough and have a railing in front.  The parents need to demand something. 

Why stop at windows?  Think of all those dangerous balcony cabin railings on virtually all ships or ferries where the railing is lower than the window where he commited his crime.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

They don't "need" to demand anything but an apology from the grandpa !!

I hope RCI wins this fight !!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

Why stop at windows?  Think of all those dangerous balcony cabin railings on virtually all ships or ferries where the railing is lower than the window where he commited his crime.

Agree.  Unless you live in a box you will always be exposed to something.   We can't be protected from everything. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

The only solution is to get rid of balconies.

Scrap the Icon project and resurrect the Empress class!! 😉

18 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Lets screen all the balconies.

Or go to the infinite verandas ala Celebrity's Edge class.

FWIW I did not care for the infinite veranda for a variety of reasons. Open air balconies are my preference so I wouldn't like screens either. 

PS- Finally- with this post I made the 5k Club on Cruise Critic- time to celebrate🥂!

Edited by TMLAalum
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1