Anyone of the same opinion pricing is starting to get alittle high?

Bestvalue82

I dont post to much I just usually read, but I have been on 10+ NCL cruises last one was alaska on the bliss, amazing! . Love  NCL never had a issue after the first few cruises I learned the game and set my expectations and just history from there.

Of course prices go up and with a roaring economy etc all those factors might have something to do with it. It just seems its starting to go up quite a bit for what you actually get.

Ill just use 1 example, a 7 day Bahamas cruise from NYC to just get away from the cold, i snagged those foo $679 on average balconey and then use the cruise next etc. (back in  '12 they were like ($429 and the beverage package was actually free) im seeing these cruises now like 1k - 1300!  we are talking "port canveral and a private island that you better hope they can tender that day :) (inside joke)   

if you want to drink etc you are looking at $4-5k a couple for this vacation. We all know NCL been scaling back some things like food quality etc but overall its still awesome. anyone else feel like the value is starting to outweigh the vacation?

just my 2 cents, chime in with your opinion. 

cheers

• Like 4

Hence our quick jump over to another cruise line as NCL doesn’t care about loyalty anymore😞 and we are Platinum +. Our other cruise line is very appreciative to have us in their suites!   We have only cruised Ncl since 2010 with the last 5 or 6 in Haven.  17 cruises over all but no more. Done with FDR’s  money grabbing schemes. 

• Like 6

Not sure where you are getting your pricing, but an average balcony on that same NY cruise you are talking about is more like 900 a person, includes drinks, yes add gratuities, but all in a couple can go for $2500.  Yes, I think the Alaska cruises are pricey though.

Yup, absolutely agree. I recently cancelled a 12 day out of NY in November. The base price on that was just over $500 through my TA when I booked it last year. The base right now on NCL is over $1100 for that same cruise 😮 I am currently looking at some 10 days and haven't asked my TA about them yet, but those are all just under $1000 base price on NCL. That is crazy! I paid under that for 14 days on my last two cruises. So yes, prices are ridiculous right now. I will be waiting patiently before I go booking anything.

Edited by AKR2011
  • Like 1

I was pricing out the three main lines today for a July cruise and everyone is really high right now.  This is a 7 day balcony on Symphony of the Seas for my family. That’s Disney level pricing.  When I was pricing these out a few months ago, this cruise was half that.

image.thumb.png.73ea428d6bbfdcd49fed0ecef1b42cee.png

Edited by Liljo22

NYC is a bad example as you have multiple factors in play. Lots of wealthy families, driving distance from Canada, Chicago, Michigan ect.. means families have more disposable income to drop on just the cruise vs booking flights. I still see cheap deals to Bahamas from Miami if you don’t go during peak weeks.

Ya, prices too high. Still OK for solo travelers but only in studio cabins. Some Good very laSt minute pricing can be found...but otherwise, ya..prices not fair market value rn. If it wasn’t for the good value in the drink pack, I might not sail NCL with these prices 

sample last minute prices I see Rn Are very good. 370 Canadian for 7 day Hong Kong/Vietnam. $1000 Canadian for Hawaii. Those are solo prices 

Edited by marktwothousand
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

Yup, absolutely agree. I recently cancelled a 12 day out of NY in November. The base price on that was just over $500 through my TA when I booked it last year. The base right now on NCL is over $1100 for that same cruise 😮 I am currently looking at some 10 days and haven't asked my TA about them yet, but those are all just under $1000 base price on NCL. That is crazy! I paid under that for 14 days on my last two cruises. So yes, prices are ridiculous right now. I will be waiting patiently before I go booking anything.

Do you seriously think that $1100 for 12 days on a cruiseship is much? I think that  sounds like an amazing price! Less than $100/day for the room, food and entertainment.

(I must miss something, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

• Like 4

Yes, I agree about the prices getting higher and higher in the last couple of years. We have been on many NCL cruises since 2003, and usually do two a year, mainly in Europe for the time being. And where we before always booked balcony or mini-suite type cabins we now only book inside cabins (for pretty much the same price we used to pay for a balcony cabin up until beg. of 2018). But since NCL now have the "Upgrade Advantage" system where you can bid on a higher cabin, we often end up getting a ocean view or balcony cabin for a reasonable price in the end after all - but not always.....

I live in Europe myself, but still book all my cruises through NCL in the US, as the prices if I book through NCL Europe are even higher....

Edited by TrumpyNor

6 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

I was pricing out the three main lines today for a July cruise and everyone is really high right now.  This is a 7 day balcony on Symphony of the Seas for my family. That’s Disney level pricing.  When I was pricing these out a few months ago, this cruise was half that.

I haven’t booked Royal in about 6 years. Their pricing to value is the absolute worst of all the major lines. You get the least for the highest cost with them. Like the example you gave, if you want to sail a newer ship their prices are ridiculous. That doesn’t even include a drink package . Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity. I can sail in a balcony cabin for four on Celebrity’s new Apex with drink package, two prepaid tips and $300 OBC for the same price as Royals new ships for an ocean view with zero perks. It’s crazy and you must shop around. 

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Do you seriously think that $1100 for 12 days on a cruiseship is much? I think that  sounds like an amazing price! Less than $100/day for the room, food and entertainment.

(I must miss something, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I suppose it depends on the disposable income that each individual has, what is expensive for one is cheap for somebody else.

I have booked 24 days from Dubai to Savona in Italy for $1400 and a 18 night transatlantic from Savona to Rio de Janeiro for $700 with Costa cruises, and those are solo prices. Shop around, don't stick to the same line and you will find some reasonable fares out there.    

• Like 1

That RCCL price of 8k for a balcony is insane.  I know the Symphony of the Seas is new and in hot demand but that's just crazy.  

Many moons ago cruising was for older wealthy people.  Then it became affordable and families started cruising.  With these prices a family cruise costs several thousand dollars and cruising is for the elite again.

OMG, I remember that summer about 6 years ago where you could score a 7 night Epic balcony stateroom for $700 pp.  The price was so good it almost just made you take a cruise.  I suppose we will never see those prices again ☹️

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

The ships aren't sailing empty though - and at least on Royal, people are flocking to pay a premium to book on the biggest & newest ships.  Same goes for elevated pricing on drink packages, specialty dining, Vibe, etc.  The companies will continue to elevate the ceiling on pricing until consumers push back by not booking sailings & extras.  

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I haven’t booked Royal in about 6 years. Their pricing to value is the absolute worst of all the major lines. You get the least for the highest cost with them. Like the example you gave, if you want to sail a newer ship their prices are ridiculous. That doesn’t even include a drink package . Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity. I can sail in a balcony cabin for four on Celebrity’s new Apex with drink package, two prepaid tips and $300 OBC for the same price as Royals new ships for an ocean view with zero perks. It’s crazy and you must shop around. 

I have been bouncing back and forth from NCL and RCCL over my cruise history. I started with RCCL and went to NCL when their Xmas cruise (NCL Epic) was half the price RCCL wanted.

Then stayed with NCL because overall the perks and price was worth it (this is when they offered the dining package for 7 days and everyone in the room).

But then RCCL started to be cheaper and in a funny way -- instead of booking 1 room with 4 people in it, it was cheaper to book 2 rooms with 2 people in it (balcony even -- where did they get their math skills I don't know).  Can't do this with NCL but I do lose the perks BUT my wife loves the second bathroom.

But then my kids got over 12 and on RCCL they are no longer considers them as kids but NCL had the 3rd and 4th passengers for free promos, so back to NCL.

Long story short -- the prices are there, you just have to spend the time (and a lot of it, I think I check daily) on your cruise prices as they fluctuate, even within a few days.

My next cruise in March spring break (RCCL) I booked 2 obstructed balconies for $2100 CDN/room (2 in each room) including $100 USD OBC and $95 Costco cash card -- this was booked a year ago.

My Aug cruise is back with NCL -- Balcony for 4 including all the perks for $3900 and $140 Costco cash card -- now looking at the same cruise, it's going for $5100 -- this was booked in Sept 2019 and the $3900 was only on for 3 days.

Now to find a decent Xmas cruise.

Edited by xcell