Anyone of the same opinion pricing is starting to get alittle high?

Bestvalue82

Everything is going up.  The cost to see Nascar races,football games, Broadway shows,hotel rooms.  Keep in mind as long as people will pay, the prices will climb.  When the economy down turns and attendance drops off and they are not able to fill there ships or stadiums the prices will go down.  There are always ways to find good prices on cruises you just have to plan and do your home work.  For those of you who still enjoy cruising enjoy your next cruise.  For the complainers hang in there there are other ways to enjoy your vacations.

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Our bottom line price (including all taxes, fees, drink package gratuity and specialty dining gratuity) for our upcoming 12 day Escape Mediterranean cruise was $4600 total for two. This was for an angled balcony mid-ship cabin. Did I mention the free air and two free days extended on the front and the back?

Our TA says that's the most smoking deal she has seen in 20 years of being a TA.

I HAD a good price on a 15 day Mediterranean cruise with all bells and whistles; air, balcony too that I booked almost 1 year ago.  Until NCL changed the date on me.     Had to cancel it when they moved it up a month.  Now I am sitting with 4 Cruise Next deposits looking.

I think the key to every cruiseline is to know when to book.  Royal typically does not do last minute price drops on their 7+ day cruises.  So, we book as soon as new itineraries come out.  We pay an average of $137 pp pd for a balcony (taxes and fees included).  This spring break, we have 8 days on Adventure of the Seas fo $120 pp pd.

We had an NCL booked on Encore for $157 pp pd in June, but found an irresistible deal on MSC for 2 weeks at $90 pp pd in a balcony. 

I am anxiously awaiting Nov 2021 NCL itineraries, because we would love to book NCL for a change, but current prices are MUCH higher than our other 3 preferred lines. 

Until people stop paying these prices, the sky is the limit.  I sometimes check my Encore sailing for any price drops but I know a new ship there are not going to be price drops.  I booked 16 months ago.  The entire Haven is sold out for most of January/February.  I had to go to mid March to check prices.  The same 2 bedroom suite I booked is $4000 more expensive (2k pp).  I imagine this sailing will also sell out.  The 2 bedroom suite is listed at $6500 pp.  Is the Encore really worth $14,000 for a family of 4?  When you would add on board expenses, excursions, port fees, etc you are looking at $17,000 just for a 2 bedroom.  This is Garden Villa pricing 😲

What do you want?  A new car or a cruise on the Encore?

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3

I work for company that supplies marketing data with a cruise line as client. They are cutting back on their marketing spend because their cabin % before cut rate has never been higher. It's simply supply and demand and when it comes to cruises, the demand is exceeding supply so prices are matching. When/If recession hits, prices will start to tick down.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:04 PM, marktwothousand said:

Ya, prices too high. Still OK for solo travelers but only in studio cabins.

Not always the case.  I sailed solo 3 times last year...a balcony on the Bliss in April, an inside on the Sky in May (no studios on this ship) and an inside on the Getaway in November, all at less than the price of a studio, all booked about 4-6 weeks out (the Sky was 2 weeks away).  I have gotten to where I sail more for the ship than the ports on most occasions.

That being said, I am going to be in Florida next month so decided to take a week's vacation and book a cruise.  I looked at everything sailing out of FLL and POM for the same week, same basic itinerary.  My first choice was the Encore, as I have friends on this sailing, but I thought it was too high for a studio (about $1200, all in) though I could use 2 CruiseNext certs on a studio.  Next was the Symphony of the Seas at $1600+ (no drink package, no 2 Platinum dinners) so that was a no.  Disney was $3000 (are they out of their minds?).  I have a friend going on Celebrity 5 day with an inside around $700, but again no drink package, no specialty dinners, plus it's a older ship and I just wasn't feeling it.  NCL Escape was $875 for a studio and that one was hard to pass up with my CN certs but I just did all those ports in November and really, really didn't want to do them again.  Last was MSC Seaside...it was an inside about $800, no drink package, 8:30 set dinner time (which I don't care for) but I would like to try the brand.  I thought about it for a week and ended up booking the Encore.  Using my 2 CN certs, it was just over $700, have the drink package, will be able to share Platinum dinners with a friend so 4 total.  I wouldn't call this a deal (the Escape would have been the best price option by far) but I am happy with my choice. 

9 hours ago, StackSkipton said:

I work for company that supplies marketing data with a cruise line as client. They are cutting back on their marketing spend because their cabin % before cut rate has never been higher. It's simply supply and demand and when it comes to cruises, the demand is exceeding supply so prices are matching. When/If recession hits, prices will start to tick down.

Good point, but there are at least 12 ships on order, everybody wants to travel on the latest offering, are we expected to pay the same for ships built in the 2000?

Look at Virgin, there new ship launched at the 30-40s is getting the mature cruisers, hope they like tassels?

We became Platinum with NCL 3 years ago and haven't cruised with them since... Because of their prices - they doubled them up 3 years ago on their European website, hence they became unaffordable (i.e. 7 day cruise previously would cost €600-800 for inside cabin; and they hiked it up to €1200-1400). Last year we've booked Pearl for March this year and it was first affordable cruise we found with them in the last couple of years (€900 each for the balcony). Also, prices for the inside are "back" at €600-800. 

My guess is they lost a lot on the European market due to strong competition from MSC (which was also my choice instead of NCL).

12 hours ago, StackSkipton said:

It must not be NCL as I've never seen more TV ads then as of late on so many channels plus mailings.

5 hours ago, JoLoca2208 said:

We became Platinum with NCL 3 years ago and haven't cruised with them since... Because of their prices - they doubled them up 3 years ago on their European website, hence they became unaffordable (i.e. 7 day cruise previously would cost €600-800 for inside cabin; and they hiked it up to €1200-1400). Last year we've booked Pearl for March this year and it was first affordable cruise we found with them in the last couple of years (€900 each for the balcony). Also, prices for the inside are "back" at €600-800. 

My guess is they lost a lot on the European market due to strong competition from MSC (which was also my choice instead of NCL).

The prices went up when they introduced 'All Inclusive' which was all they would allow Europeans to book. People moaned it was too expensive, which it was, and they dropped it in favour of the £99 Free at Sea deal. Et voila! prices dropped again.

Those with free / "reduced" NCL Air bundled in ... better hold on tightly to them and don't make any changes, or else - risk losing them when rebooking.  I wonder if that "deal" is coming back as speculated.  

And I won't be surprised one bit if they will raise the fees for "deviation" and/or making flight changes booked together as a (FAS) package deal.   Afterall, JetBlue just raised their 1st. checked bag fees by $5 recently ... not that we "need" to check our 22" rollerboards.  

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

It must not be NCL as I've never seen more TV ads then as of late on so many channels plus mailings.

TV Spots are weird, NCL may have already pre brought the time and must use it or marketing department must have spend they want to use.

Also something to point out, if you have Comcast/Cox/At&T or any of streaming services, they now have targeted TV ads. So it may be they are not doing general ads but your name has been given by NCL to be targeted by NCL ad so you may think it's all over the place but it's really just you.

• Like 1

There are cracks starting to appear in the vacation market.  Both Disney and Universal just started advertising big cuts in prices over the last two weeks for their theme park hotels and packages.  Over this past summer, rates at even WDW's "Value" resorts were spiking over $200/night.  People were reporting ridiculous lines and crowds that created gridlock within the parks and at the resorts' amenities.  Now, both Disney and Universal are advertising prices back around $79/night for their value resorts, with minimal restrictions.  I think the main reason for this is that all of the themeparks have overbuilt on hotels for a slowing economy.  And, IMHO, the same will happen with the cruise lines over the next 12-18 months as all these new ships come on line with no retirements from the older portion of the fleet.  The supply will outstrip the demand and prices will drop to more reasonable levels.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, StackSkipton said:

TV Spots are weird ... may be they are not doing general ads but your name has been given ... to be targeted by NCL ad so you may think it's all over the place but it's really just you.

It's far easier, use a browser like Edge, Firefox, or Chrome ... to lookup & search, the "cookies" will track & trace you, with ways to follow up on your "shopping cart" unfinished. 

Linux Mint, as I set up mine, made it a little more difficult but I know it's done.

27 minutes ago, angalyse said:

NCL recently hired a company called "RateGain" in November 2019.  This outside vendors sole purpose is to raise rates and profits for NCL.  

That is nothing unusual. There is always companies like that which promise to use "hip new tech" to increase profits. If it works, everyone is happy. If it fails, NCL leadership gets to blame the vendor, fire them, keep their jobs and hire another vendor. 

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

It's far easier, use a browser like Edge, Firefox, or Chrome ... to lookup & search, the "cookies" will track & trace you, with ways to follow up on your "shopping cart" unfinished. 

Linux Mint, as I set up mine, made it a little more difficult but I know it's done.

I know, but targeted ads are now on a TV near you and few people realize it.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 8:01 PM, lovemycruisetoo said:

Hence our quick jump over to another cruise line as NCL doesn’t care about loyalty anymore😞 and we are Platinum +. Our other cruise line is very appreciative to have us in their suites!   We have only cruised Ncl since 2010 with the last 5 or 6 in Haven.  17 cruises over all but no more. Done with FDR’s  money grabbing schemes. 

Very curious, what do you mean that NCL doesn't care about loyalty anymore?

I have a "Hooray for NCL" story. About 4-5 months ago, I got one of those 30% off email from NCL. I already had my 2020 cruise booked, but I thought I'd take a look. Caveat: (NO, I am not rich and I still work full-time. ) I sail solo 'cause my beloved died. I sail the Haven 'cause I love it (as did my beloved). 

Anyway, I found a 12-day Panama Canal Cruise,  in the Haven, on the Joy, with the 5 free-at-sea, AND $99 airfare. The price is what it would have been for two people were going and we split the fare. Also, double points. For Feb 2021. (I go on my current cruise tomorrow, Jan 22.)

So, NCL has my $$ for another year or so. BTW, I have a great PPC who can change my reservations in 15 minutes.

SEAS the day!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geegee1 said:

Very curious, what do you mean that NCL doesn't care about loyalty anymore?

This is a touchy subject for some and I really don’t want to start anything so I’ll just say, IMO, they don’t care about us anymore because there is always a sucker somewhere to take my place. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 11:44 AM, GA Dave said:

I think the main reason for this is that all of the themeparks have overbuilt on hotels for a slowing economy

SLOWING ECONOMY?   .....  Im from the northeast , we are booming here.   Can that be the issue as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, angalyse said:

SLOWING ECONOMY?   .....  Im from the northeast , we are booming here.   Can that be the issue as well.

It is booming here too at the present time.  However, all forward-looking metrics point to a slower 2020 than the previous 3-4 years, with the US GDP dropping to a 2.0% increase.  Just the Boeing MAX fiasco alone has been estimated to have a -0.5% impact on the US GDP for 2020.  And now the markets worldwide are all reacting negatively to the pandemic potential from the Coronavirus in China.  Yet Disney and Universal are still building like mad, MSC just announced six more mega-ship orders on top of the six they already had on order, and all of the RCCL and Carnival shops on order are mega-ships as well.  Sooner or later, the supply-vs-demand will tilt the other way.  I predict it will be sooner than these companies can react, which will result in a bunch of empty rooms/cabins.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 7:36 PM, Bestvalue82 said:

I dont post to much I just usually read, but I have been on 10+ NCL cruises last one was alaska on the bliss, amazing! . Love  NCL never had a issue after the first few cruises I learned the game and set my expectations and just history from there.

Of course prices go up and with a roaring economy etc all those factors might have something to do with it. It just seems its starting to go up quite a bit for what you actually get.

Ill just use 1 example, a 7 day Bahamas cruise from NYC to just get away from the cold, i snagged those foo $679 on average balconey and then use the cruise next etc. (back in  '12 they were like ($429 and the beverage package was actually free) im seeing these cruises now like 1k - 1300!  we are talking "port canveral and a private island that you better hope they can tender that day 🙂 (inside joke)   

if you want to drink etc you are looking at $4-5k a couple for this vacation. We all know NCL been scaling back some things like food quality etc but overall its still awesome. anyone else feel like the value is starting to outweigh the vacation?

just my 2 cents, chime in with your opinion. 

cheers

We have done cruises on NCL, Celebrity and Royal C.  We always compare those lines as well as Princess before selecting a cruise.  We book early, frequently as soon as the cruise is announced. NCL don't offer no perk pricing until close to the cruise, so we are always comparing NCL with perks against the others, which give us a choice of no perks or perks.  We don't want perks.  We are modest drinkers and hate the wine options on NCL's package.  Also, dislike the ridiculous 20% on 99 dollars a day gratuity.   

Because of this, NCL never comes up the best deal.  Royal C., which has better entertainment than NCL and Celebrity, which has better dining comes out with the best value.  Not sure if we will ever book NCL again.

My last two cruises and my next two cruises have all been in the Caribbean and in the same timeframe, late January - early February.  The prices have been relatively steady with a moderate drop, about $100 total for 3 people in a Balcony. 

2018 - Epic , western

2019 - Getaway, western

2020 - Breakaway, western (10 days from today)

2021 - Joy, eastern

5 hours ago, GA Dave said:

It is booming here too at the present time.  However, all forward-looking metrics point to a slower 2020 than the previous 3-4 years, with the US GDP dropping to a 2.0% increase.  Just the Boeing MAX fiasco alone has been estimated to have a -0.5% impact on the US GDP for 2020.  And now the markets worldwide are all reacting negatively to the pandemic potential from the Coronavirus in China.  Yet Disney and Universal are still building like mad, MSC just announced six more mega-ship orders on top of the six they already had on order, and all of the RCCL and Carnival shops on order are mega-ships as well.  Sooner or later, the supply-vs-demand will tilt the other way.  I predict it will be sooner than these companies can react, which will result in a bunch of empty rooms/cabins.

Yep. And Virgin entering the market with more ships on the way.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/record-number-of-cruise-ships-to-debut-in-2020.html

I'm really curious to see how this all plays out.