It's Happening!

JamieLogical

38 minutes ago, hallux said:

I might consider that Bermuda trip but the price is a bit high right now.  If it comes down 50% I might consider it.

And now I’m considering cancelling the September 3 cruise and booking a slightly later 4-day sailing for significantly less. That’s not really enough time in Bermuda, though, but the 7-day trips are expensive. 

Jaime, go for the balcony. You’re giving up the espresso but gaining the Balcony Life and dinner at Le Bistro.

18 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I mean, I'm getting the Balcony Life and dinner at Le Bistro the very next week though....

Hmm. Good point. Although can you ever really have too many warm breezes and profiteroles?

Since there is apparently no such thing as an affordable Bermuda cruise in September unless I want to try out Carnival, maybe I’ll do Alaska out of Seattle on a non-NCL ship. The port is a 30-minute drive so that saves a huge chunk of money. But... Bermuda. Sigh. 

I've been looking for SOMETHING to burn vacation time, those NE cruises are looking better and better because I haven't done one yet and I'd like to get back to Boston (though I'm only 3 hours away!).  The pricing might be in line, but I'm looking at a 7-night as I have CruiseNext deposits (unless the 5-night is about the same price as the 7 after the CN is applied).

Go for the balcony.  I like the studio rooms, but outside of the coffee machine I've never really used the lounge much other than for the gatherings, and those are hit or miss depending on the week.  For that small of a difference in price I'd take (and have taken) the balcony and extra perks every time 🙂

Thank goodness for refundable deposits!  

I cancelled Bermuda and for just slightly less money, booked a 7-day cruise around the same time. Unless I change my mind AGAIN, I’ll be on NCL Breakaway September 6-13 for a New England itinerary. I love Bar Harbor and Portland, and plan to spend port time wandering around shops and stuffing my face with lobster rolls. Yeah, there’s a scenic bus ride around Acadia National Park, but I’ve already driven that route on a glorious early summer day in a convertible. Can’t top that.

So I’m doing a Studio with the PBP package of course, will probably buy a 3-meal SDP as well. And hey, double Latitude points to go along with the lobster rolls.

Good grief, I’m going to be shipboard a lot this year. 7-day NCL solo cruises are booked for Alaska in June, New England in September, and the southern Caribbean in December, plus I took a 5-day Mexican Riviera cruise last month. 

2 hours ago, coastcat said:

I’ll be on NCL Breakaway September 6-13 for a New England itinerary

If you don't mind, I'll put this on a list of consideration. The price seems a little high but I won't need to fly (I'm 3 hours from NY, and Boston for that matter) so I'm saving on airfare compared to doing something in the Caribbean.

The only issue I see is that one of my colleagues is probably taking some of that time off and we need to have one or the other of us in the office, if it's only one day of overlap I might be able to though.

24 minutes ago, hallux said:

If you don't mind, I'll put this on a list of consideration. The price seems a little high but I won't need to fly (I'm 3 hours from NY, and Boston for that matter) so I'm saving on airfare compared to doing something in the Caribbean.

The only issue I see is that one of my colleagues is probably taking some of that time off and we need to have one or the other of us in the office, if it's only one day of overlap I might be able to though.

If you book it, maybe I'll have someone to help me sample martinis!

The price is a bit high because it's a holiday week, but that also means one less vacation day deducted from my balance. The 5-day cruise would have required 4 days off anyway due to travel, so now I'm getting more cruise time for slightly less money and the same amount of vacation days.

The good news is that no one else in my team does what I do. That's also the downside, but thank goodness my company is great about work-life balance.

Edited by coastcat

38 minutes ago, hallux said:

You can have my share.  There's a reason I don't get the drink package.

Well, then we'll make it spinach & artichoke dip. Or nachos. Either works. I don't order them when solo because, well, that's a lot for one person and I feel bad about wasting food.

1 minute ago, coastcat said:

spinach & artichoke dip.

Now THAT I can handle!  Just debating if I want to do a cruise this year with some major expenses coming up.  I REALLY need to find a different job, but that means less time off to do this kind of thing in!

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Ugh. I am now experiencing some serious first world problems. After just having gotten my room changed yesterday because a non-connecting Studio opened up, room prices across the whole sailing dropped today. Now a Balcony with perks will only cost me $142 more (plus gratuities on the specialty dining) than my Studio with just the drink package cost me. Should I pay the difference and upgrade? I was looking forward to the Studio experience and the Studio Lounge, but only $142 for a Balcony and specialty dining, wifi, and $50 per port shore excursion credit seems like a really good deal, right?

Do it!

16 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

Do it!

The solo price for balconies dropped even more today. I just put a hold on an angled balcony that will only cost me a total of $113.95 more, including gratuities. So, for that small difference, I get not only a balcony, but one large enough for a lounger, 250 wifi minutes, 3 specialty dining credits, and a $50 per port shore excursion credit. Not bad! Oddly enough, the one studio that is currently available is still the same price I paid for mine. Not price drop there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The solo price for balconies dropped even more today. I just put a hold on an angled balcony that will only cost me a total of $113.95 more, including gratuities. So, for that small difference, I get not only a balcony, but one large enough for a lounger, 250 wifi minutes, 3 specialty dining credits, and a $50 per port shore excursion credit. Not bad! Oddly enough, the one studio that is currently available is still the same price I paid for mine. Not price drop there.

You really find great deals.  I wish I had more time off in March. I am going on the 21 day Bliss Panama Canal in April, so I can't whine too much. Prices make no sense on that cruise either!

5 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

You really find great deals.  I wish I had more time off in March. I am going on the 21 day Bliss Panama Canal in April, so I can't whine too much. Prices make no sense on that cruise either!

Do prices ever make sense?

I booked my June Alaska cruise during the 20% off Latitudes sale and the price of that category (IB - inside cabin in a good location) kept rising. In the last couple weeks - after final payment was due - the price fell and now IBs are a few dollars less than I paid. We're 110 days out and to my surprise, I just got the "bid on an upgrade!" email from NCL. Doesn't that normally happen around 80 days out? Wonder what indicates about pricing changes as we get closer.

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

Do prices ever make sense?

I booked my June Alaska cruise during the 20% off Latitudes sale and the price of that category (IB - inside cabin in a good location) kept rising. In the last couple weeks - after final payment was due - the price fell and now IBs are a few dollars less than I paid. We're 110 days out and to my surprise, I just got the "bid on an upgrade!" email from NCL. Doesn't that normally happen around 80 days out? Wonder what indicates about pricing changes as we get closer.

A lot of people have reported getting upgrade offer emails at 110 days out now instead of 80. I guess that reflects them changing final payment from 90 days to 120 days.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:05 PM, JamieLogical said:

This so funny. I called yesterday and am also moving up to an angled balcony from a solo studio. I was thrilled with the price (couldn't say no, in fact). Do you know much about the angled balconies? I kind of figured they were *smaller*, but no? This will be my first time to sail in a balcony cabin and I'm pretty excited. :)

52 minutes ago, KansasTexan said:

This so funny. I called yesterday and am also moving up to an angled balcony from a solo studio. I was thrilled with the price (couldn't say no, in fact). Do you know much about the angled balconies? I kind of figured they were *smaller*, but no? This will be my first time to sail in a balcony cabin and I'm pretty excited. 🙂

Angle balconies are 50% larger than a standard balcony. I book them every chance I get on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships with my SO. This was going to be my first solo cruise and I was excited about access to the Studio Lounge, but I just could not pass up a chance at another angled balcony for so cheap! On the first day of your sailing, if there is not already a full sized lounge chair on your balcony, request one, because the angled balconies are large enough to accommodate one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jamie (from across town)!

i just did my first solo on Breakaway last October. Go for the balcony and benefits! As a solo you can still join the social each evening around 5 or 5:30 - go to the first meet and find out if  they will unlock the doors as they did on mine. That lets you meet the others and join solo dinners. 

for the drive for your husband, I have very detailed instructions with pictures which helps If you study ahead For the key turns. And since he is picking g you up he needs to learn where to go to do that. And where to wait For you. Let me know if you want to get in touch for that. 

Bill

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

Hi Jamie (from across town)!

i just did my first solo on Breakaway last October. Go for the balcony and benefits! As a solo you can still join the social each evening around 5 or 5:30 - go to the first meet and find out if  they will unlock the doors as they did on mine. That lets you meet the others and join solo dinners. 

for the drive for your husband, I have very detailed instructions with pictures which helps If you study ahead For the key turns. And since he is picking g you up he needs to learn where to go to do that. And where to wait For you. Let me know if you want to get in touch for that. 

Bill

I did go ahead and do the upgrade. It was just too good a deal to pass up. And I am glad I did it when I did, because now balconies are sold out on my sailing. Ended up costing me a whopping $113.95 extra out of pocket, so definitely well worth it.

As for the drive, my SO isn't picking me up, he is parking and coming with me on the next leg of my B2B and then we will be driving home together. He has also decided to drive most of the way the night before, so he has plenty of time to navigate the Manhattan traffic the morning of the cruise. He is going to get a hotel near Rockaway, NJ and then he will only have about an hour drive in the morning.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:01 PM, JamieLogical said:

I did go ahead and do the upgrade. It was just too good a deal to pass up. And I am glad I did it when I did, because now balconies are sold out on my sailing. Ended up costing me a whopping $113.95 extra out of pocket, so definitely well worth it.

As for the drive, my SO isn't picking me up, he is parking and coming with me on the next leg of my B2B and then we will be driving home together. He has also decided to drive most of the way the night before, so he has plenty of time to navigate the Manhattan traffic the morning of the cruise. He is going to get a hotel near Rockaway, NJ and then he will only have about an hour drive in the morning.

Good, and also good!