Queue at the ferry?

Threedanes

Hi 🙂

My family and myself will arrive with Harmony of the seas on July the 8th this year, a day where there will be 5 other ships in port. So, our initial thoughts is to go to the mainland, to avoid the worst crowds. However, we're concerned about whether or not the queue to the ferries will be extremely long? Especially, since we want to get the most out of our excursion. 

Furthermore, if we're booking an excursion through RC, will we then meet our guide before the ferry or after when we get to Playa del Carmen? 

I'm hoping someone can help with these questions 🙂 

Welcome to the boards! 😎

5-6+ ships is not a big deal for Cozumel, so I would not worry too much - no need to ferry to PDC unless you want to see something on the mainland.

if you are going with a ship's tour you will meet either on the ship or just off the ship on the pier, not in PDC.  If you have questions about a specific RCI tour I would post it on the RCI board.your

Have a great cruise! 

• Like 1

Ship's tours reserve their own ferry to pick you up and take you over to PDC.  That is a HUGE advantage.  Coming back will be same, private ferry just for your ship groups.  

If you book privately, you have to go to the ferry station downtown and buy a ticket and stand in line with all the other people, then have to worry about getting back the same way.  The ferry runs once an hour, either direction and you have got to be there early to buy ticket and get in line, otherwise you are waiting for next one.  Been there, done that, and it was frustrating.  

• Like 1

Agree 6 ships is quite common for Cozumel and the island is quite able to accommodate. 

Not sure what, or where, you plan to go on the mainland. If you plan to go outside of Playa I would only go with through the cruise line as they will have a dedicated ferry as posted above and you will not need to taxi to and from town adding to time. 

Not sure what there is in Playa that you can't find in Cozumel and depending  on season although the beaches are better in Playa, you may find them covered in seaweed depending how things turn out next summer. 

• Like 1