10AM or 2PM Tour Acadia

travelinmoma

We are going to do a tour of Acadia National Park in late July.  I would prefer the 10AM time, but I'm concerned about fog.  Will the 2:00 time be the best bet for a clear view or does it matter?  Thank you!

Also wondering how we should dress for this tour in late July.  Will we need jackets?  

21 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Really no way to tell with fog.

Other issue, is your Bar Harbor stop before or after Canada? If after, you need to clear immigration before getting off the ship.

It is before Canada.  We are in port from 8AM to 7PM.  When we went to Alaska several people suggested making our tour reservations for later in the day because of fog.   

• 2 weeks later...

We first visited Bar Harbor in July once on an auto trip from Mich.  I don't think we had any fog, but one day (or more) it was overcast.  This was a family trip and we rented cottage a few miles from town so we were flexible.  Also have cruised there in Sept and no fog then either--went up to top of Mt. Desert, the "peak" in Acadia NP, and had great visibility.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

I would check the tide schedule if I was going to Acadia .... Thunder Hole is a great attraction (waves making a booming sound when they hit the rocks) .... In order to get a nice boom it needs to be close to high tide.

Never can tell about fog .... Jan

The tide schedule changes every 6 hrs or so and during a ship's full-day visit you could expect to experience both a high and a low tide.  The difference is fairly dramatic up there--10 ft or so difference between hi and low.  At low tide once can walk across the damp sand to Bar Island, about 1,200 ft offshore.  [we've been in Bar Harbor twice]

21 hours ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

I would check the tide schedule if I was going to Acadia .... Thunder Hole is a great attraction (waves making a booming sound when they hit the rocks) .... In order to get a nice boom it needs to be close to high tide.

Never can tell about fog .... Jan

Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

Can never predict fog!  Or the weather!  I have worn fleece jackets in July in that area......if raining could be cold!  Always a sea breeze as well.  I would do the 10 am trip, then when back in harbor find a great place for a lobster lunch and do a little shopping (lobster socks and lobster magnets!).  Have fun!