Cruise Critic Community
WallyNDiane

Taking euros to the Caribbean?

We are taking the Caribbean Princess 14 day cruise in 2 weeks. In researching Martinique, I see most places have their costs stated in Euros. I am sure they take a US dollar but the exchange rates may stink. We have euros left from past European trips. I have never thought about taking euros on a Caribbean cruise before. But since we have them, should we take some on our cruise? That could save us a few bucks in better exchange rates. 

Comments welcomed. Thank you.

I have never taken euros to the Caribbean and never plan to.  No need

if you are planning to buy some stuff in Martinique, take your Euros.

In Martinique items in tourist shops are priced both in Euros and US$. If you have Euros, take them. All other islands I have visited, which is most of them, are happy with US$.

Going to Martinique or Guadaloupe, you definitely need Euros. All other islands accept USD. Martinique is truly like a mini France, and you will mostly be surrounded by French tourists. Those 2 islands are my husband’s favorites. 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I’m assuming you have never been to Martinique

What's wrong with just using a credit card?

51 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Going to Martinique or Guadaloupe, you definitely need Euros. All other islands accept USD. Martinique is truly like a mini France, and you will mostly be surrounded by French tourists. Those 2 islands are my husband’s favorites. 

We visited Guadeloupe on our very first cruise back in 1994.  Loved it so hope you enjoy it, too.  Coincidentally, one of our favorite Sat. nite shows on PBS, "Death in Paradise," is filmed there although they give it a different name (Santa Maria, I think).

2 hours ago, memoak said:

If visiting Martinque and you have some left over Euros take them along. 

3 hours ago, WallyNDiane said:

We are taking the Caribbean Princess 14 day cruise in 2 weeks. In researching Martinique, I see most places have their costs stated in Euros. I am sure they take a US dollar but the exchange rates may stink. We have euros left from past European trips. I have never thought about taking euros on a Caribbean cruise before. But since we have them, should we take some on our cruise? That could save us a few bucks in better exchange rates. 

Comments welcomed. Thank you.

We took our Euros with us for Martinique and it made it really easy, especially as we used the local bus.  
I would bring it along with you.

We were in Martinique a few weeks ago. They take both Euros and dollars. Interestingly, they quoted the prices as 1:1, i.e., $5 or 5 Euros.

2 hours ago, antsp said:

I’m assuming you have never been to Martinique

We were there's once back in 1993. 

The bus comment is great and I assume it is better to pay for taxi's in euros as well.

Since we got them, I will take some along.

Small merchants in Martinique only take Euros.  For example there is a snack bar type place near a park walking distance from the port. They have a few tables and sell drinks and a bit of food.  We stopped for a rest on our walk.  
They refused our USD last year, but we had some Euros too so were ok.  

8 hours ago, cruisintoddler said:

Small merchants in Martinique only take Euros.  For example there is a snack bar type place near a park walking distance from the port. They have a few tables and sell drinks and a bit of food.  We stopped for a rest on our walk.  
They refused our USD last year, but we had some Euros too so were ok.  

They are French.  What else would you expect from the French.  Have you ever been tom the French islands off Canada.  They behave the same.

DON

Just like how in the US  you need US currency.😉

Edited by bennybear

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Just like how in the US  you need US currency.😉

Exactly.  It has nothing to do with how they “behave.”

21 hours ago, donaldsc said:

They are French.  What else would you expect from the French.  Have you ever been tom the French islands off Canada.  They behave the same.

DON

Behave?  Strange way to put it.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, mosenga said:

We were in Martinique a few weeks ago. They take both Euros and dollars. Interestingly, they quoted the prices as 1:1, i.e., $5 or 5 Euros.

We had excursion several years ago with private guide and she quoted 65 dollars or 55 euros

23 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Do they take euros in Las Vegas at the local convenience store, or do taxi drivers take euros.  No. And why should they. America is not the world you know. 

On 1/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, BarbinMich said:

We visited Guadeloupe on our very first cruise back in 1994.  Loved it so hope you enjoy it, too.  Coincidentally, one of our favorite Sat. nite shows on PBS, "Death in Paradise," is filmed there although they give it a different name (Santa Maria, I think).

We went to Guadaloupe on the Pacific over Christmas and did love it! DH wants to go back for a land vacation. He humored me and let us do the Death in Paradise tour because it’s one of my favorite shows. It was everything I’d dream of it being!! It was made even more fun by it being a group of Cruise Critic members!  We had drinks at Catherine’s Bar, toured the police station with all the props in tact, and strolled the beach of Humphrey’s beach shack! If you ever go back, you’ve gotta do the tour. 😀

On 1/18/2020 at 2:01 PM, BarbinMich said:

It's French so it's Saint Marie. If you go to Guadeloupe, this will be of interest. 

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-01-16/where-is-death-in-paradise-filmed/

On 1/19/2020 at 6:11 AM, donaldsc said:

DON

I would expect I'd have trouble using £ or € in USA but I would not complain or make racist comments.  Most countries have their own currencies.  Why should you expect everyone to accept yours?

Martinique and Guadeloupe are overseas departments of France (a French department is largely the same as a U.S. state). So the relationship between them and mainland France is largely the same as between Hawaii and the mainland U.S. The major difference is that although they are essentially part of France, they are not part of the Schengen area and therefore have their own immigration inspection (unlike between Hawaii and the mainland U.S. which is the same as any other U.S. domestic travel for immigration purposes).

Whatever you bring, there will be a currency conversion ATM in the galley of the ship.  Take the elevator all the way down to the 4th deck and it's just a quick few steps to both a standard ATM, and a currency conversion machine.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE CONVERSION TELLER CAREFULLY.

Edited by MotownVoice