Rookie Transfer Question

Mackdogmolly

We will be flying in to Heathrow from North America for a cruise embarking  from Southampton the following day. We are trying to decide whether to take a train straight from the airport to Southampton and spend the night there or stay in London and do a possible shared transfer from there. Would we need to purchase rail tickets in advance? Or could we purchase on arrival at the airport? Thanks for any advice!

2 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

We will be flying in to Heathrow from North America for a cruise embarking  from Southampton the following day. We are trying to decide whether to take a train straight from the airport to Southampton and spend the night there or stay in London and do a possible shared transfer from there. Would we need to purchase rail tickets in advance? Or could we purchase on arrival at the airport? Thanks for any advice!

You can do either, but they will be more expensive on the day. The best time to buy rail tickets is 90 days ahead as that’s when ‘Advance’ tickets are sold. You can get first class tickets at very reasonable prices - more comfy than standard, less crowded and usually include at least a drink and a snack. If you buy online you can reserve your seat too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

You can do either, but they will be more expensive on the day. The best time to buy rail tickets is 90 days ahead as that’s when ‘Advance’ tickets are sold. You can get first class tickets at very reasonable prices - more comfy than standard, less crowded and usually include at least a drink and a snack. If you buy online you can reserve your seat too.

I just did a little digging and apparently no trains from Heathrow to Southampton? Only bus service? That’s a little less appealing, but not a very long trip. Pick up is a long way from our terminal though 😟

22 minutes ago, uktog said:

The bus service from Heathrow is excellent - National Express pick up at the terminals.  We have used it several times as we fly from Scotland to Heathrow

Thanks Uktog. We arrive at terminal 2 and they pick up at terminals 4 and 5, which I understand is quite a hike away? 

54 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks Uktog. We arrive at terminal 2 and they pick up at terminals 4 and 5, which I understand is quite a hike away? 

National Express also have a service to Southampton from Heathrow Central Bus Station which is between Terminals 2 & 3. We have used this service in the past when we cruise from Southampton but fly back into Heathrow, it’s not too bad a journey.

2 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That is great news. DH would have difficulty walking a great distance. Thanks for the link!

My husband and I are also coming into Heathrow Terminal 2.  The United flight arrives on June 6, 2020, from the U.S. for a cruise departing Southampton on

June 8, 2020 (Azamara Pursuit).

If you are arriving on or about the same day & time, would you be interested in sharing car service in lieu of National Express?

I would also recommend a car service.   After an overnight flight it is wonderful to have someone meet you at baggage claim and drive you to Southampton.   With strikes and problems on the M1, it’s always safer to be in Southampton the day before you are set to depart.   There are good hotels and a large shopping center in case you forgot anything.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, capezio said:

My husband and I are also coming into Heathrow Terminal 2.  The United flight arrives on June 6, 2020, from the U.S. for a cruise departing Southampton on

June 8, 2020 (Azamara Pursuit).

If you are arriving on or about the same day & time, would you be interested in sharing car service in lieu of National Express?

Would be interested, but our flight is arriving on June 7th. Also leaving Southampton on the 8th, but on the Quest.

8 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I would also recommend a car service.   After an overnight flight it is wonderful to have someone meet you at baggage claim and drive you to Southampton.   With strikes and problems on the M1, it’s always safer to be in Southampton the day before you are set to depart.   There are good hotels and a large shopping center in case you forgot anything.

I also think a private transfer is the easiest solution.  However the journey will only take about one hour and a half at most.  Look at the route on google maps. M25 to M3. (M1 totally wrong direction). It is really no big deal and I cannot think of any strike or problem that could delay you that much.  

Cost should be around £100 to £120.  As it happens about the same as my private transfer from Rome airport to Civitavecchia port for our Journey cruise on June 4th.

• Like 2

Another vote for a private transfer because of  its simplicity following the rather fevered atmosphere of Heathrow.

We went to Southampton two days early. That allowed a day spent in the Salisbury area, an excellent and memorable option if you haven’t already visited it.