Viking Star on episode of Mighty Cruise Ships in UK

X-IO1

I just watched a very interesting episode of Mighty Cruise Ships staring the Viking Star, it’s captain and crew.  It follows the Star on a cruise from Barcelona to Bergen.  Lot’s of information about what happened behind the scenes on this cruise. I found the video on YouTube.  I’m told by the person who uploaded it that it is a UK series and it originally aired last month in December (2019).  I looked to see here in CC if there has been a previous mention of it and found none so am posting now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this. We sailed the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages itinerary, which is very similar to the one from this video. It was a pleasure to get so many behind the scenes insights. Also, we were unable to make the stop in Falmouth because of weather, so at least I got to see what we missed!

Thanks for sharing. We were onboard this sailing and wondered when we would be able to see the video. It is well done. 
I forgot what beautiful weather we had during our cruise. Even Bergen was cloudless. We visited Bergen again this past June and it rained most of the time.

18 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Thanks for sharing. We were onboard this sailing and wondered when we would be able to see the video. It is well done. 
I forgot what beautiful weather we had during our cruise. Even Bergen was cloudless. We visited Bergen again this past June and it rained most of the time.

Can you tell us what month and year this cruise took place?

• Like 1

It was The Trade Routes of the Middle Ages in June 2018. The crew was from Discovery Channel in Canada. They filmed everywhere. Most of us signed waivers in case we were in the final video (we were not). The crew accompanied us to Normandy for the entire ten hour tour. They went out of their way, during the entire sailing, to be very friendly. I chatted with a few of them as they film many other things other than cruise ships.

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

We loved our slightly different version of the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages from October of 2019, and I was struck by how sunny your whole trip seemed to be. We had a couple beautiful days, but much of our trip was cloudy and grey when it wasn't actually raining. Still fun, but you were indeed fortunate!

We also visited Portsmouth and Bruges, but I don’t think they mentioned them as ports we visited. We expected that once we reached England and Norway, the weather would turn cloudy, but it never did. It’s funny, this entire cruise and itinerary just seemed to far exceed our expectations. We would highly recommend it.

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

We also visited Portsmouth and Bruges, but I don’t think they mentioned them as ports we visited. We expected that once we reached England and Norway, the weather would turn cloudy, but it never did. It’s funny, this entire cruise and itinerary just seemed to far exceed our expectations. We would highly recommend it.

So, we did have the same itinerary. Even with our less than stellar weather, I would also recommend this cruise without reservations. It was a great variety of ports, and there wasn't one stop that disappointed. (Except for the fact that the weather prevented us from stopping at Falmouth. At least, now I understand how much of a challenge it is to get in and out of that port.)

Edited by lackcreativity

Thank you!! It was fun seeing the Seaport in Amsterdam. When we did our first Viking River cruise in 2014 -  the Grand European Tour - we did the 2 night post extension in Amsterdam and stayed at the Mövenpick Hotel, part of that whole complex.  This May we'll be boarding the Sea cruising from Barcelona to Athens.  

Yes, thank you so much for posting this!  We love this show, but this episode isn’t scheduled to air until April. We watched it at the link.

We are booked on this cruise from Bergen to Barcelona on the Viking Sky in the fall.  I’m so looking forward to it.  Love all the ports!  It was really fun watching the entrance to Amsterdam.  We have been there 3 times and just love it!

Again thanks for posting!

FWIW ... We are always a little "late to the party" but found "Mighty Cruise Ships" episode on the Smithsonian Channel as well.  It was Viking Sea  (Season 2 / Episode 2) and the trip was the Midnight Sun Itinerary.  We bought it on Amazon Prime ($1.99) and have watched it several times.  My husband is a real "behind the scenes" geek and said it answered many of his questions (he doesn't sail with us so his experiences are strictly vicarous!).  We are anxious to check out the Star!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075G1Q82N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I don't know if there are any other Australians here, but we can access this series via 7Plus. We have just booked our first cruise with Viking, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can so thanks for posting the link X-IO1.