Melecon21 Review - perfect day, great club

Losnab

My HB and I made advance reservations for Malecon 21 - thank you to all that recommended this new club.

We contacted them via their website and got a very quick response.  We chose our package "Freedom" and paid $15 up front (credits toward food and drink) and committed to spending an additional $15 during our visit.  We lots of local beer and enjoyed a variety top notch treats from their beautiful menu - attached.      We were so happy to have read about Malecon21 from other folks who generously shared reviews - it was great and we had a memorable day.  Should we return to Costa Maya there is no doubt that we will head back to Malecon21.

It was a little chilly last week during our visit, and a bit rough after a morning rain,  so we did not snorkel.  But we did wade around a bit in the clear blue waters.  My husband took advantage of the massage and said it was great.

This cab from the Port was $8 each way (2 people).    I had a copy of the attached map with me and the driver had no problems getting there and dropping us off right in front of Malecon21.

When we left the folks at Malecon21 had a cab ready for us, the driver was professional and stopped at a nice point so we can take a photo.

Map of Malecon 21.jpeg

IMG_0807.jpeg

IMG_0804.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

On 12/29/2019 at 3:56 PM, roxanne207 said:

I've decided to give up on my more complicated plans for my one day in Cozumel, and am just going to go with the beach club that has the best snorkeling. I don't care about sand, pools, or a big party atmosphere, I just want somewhere I can get to and from easily by cab and the best snorkeling from shore. I also need to be able to rent equipment. My top two picks are Playa Corona and Playa Azul. Which would you chose, or I am open to other opinions? Also are any of the beach clubs adult only?

Playa Azul 🙂 

51 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

We're at Jaimies but I'll try to wander down and take a look and say hi to Manny.  Heading up to Tropicante and saying hello as well.

OK - I know you like to move around like me!

We haven’t tried Jaimie’s yet as we don’t generally do AI, although I know he will let you stop in “if he has room”.- maybe I”ll wander that way and check it out.

Crew, I know your Spanish is better than mine and you have contacts,  can you try and find out official taxi situation and see if there is a board at taxi dispatch with prices, and report back? I see Jaimie’s website says it is $3pp and he will give a $1 back - I thought it was supposed to be $8 per taxi, for up to 4? Of course , we know these are “tourist” prices anyway.

58 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Sure thing.   I'm assuming that Jaimie's website is out of date.  I'll mention that to him as well.

Thanks!

I get the impression drivers are trying to “double dip” and charge $4pp, or $8 per couple, and then push two couples in one taxi. If I am paying $8 anyway I want a taxi to myself.

I need to look and see if there is a posted board like at Cozumel.

Not sure if this helps but we paid $2 per person for a taxi.

There are no taxi pricing boards like in Cozumel. We went to see Capt Charlie at the Taxi stand outside of the port and he ensured the pricing and arranged the cab for our family of 5. Lots of drivers were trying to orchestrate their own rides and go out of queue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Not sure if this helps but we paid $2 per person for a taxi.

There are no taxi pricing boards like in Cozumel. We went to see Capt Charlie at the Taxi stand outside of the port and he ensured the pricing and arranged the cab for our family of 5. Lots of drivers were trying to orchestrate their own rides and go out of queue.

Thanks - that sounds about right for five. I have yet to find anyone who acknowledges the existence of Captain Charlie! Glad to hear he really exists!

Hope you enjoyed the game on Sunday!

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks - that sounds about right for five. I have yet to find anyone who acknowledges the existence of Captain Charlie! Glad to hear he really exists!

Hope you enjoyed the game on Sunday!

@c-leg5 Wow really? In Steve’s emails he sent with pics, I recognized Capt Charlie as we walked up to the cab stand. Even better he had a name badge 😂 but it was chaotic busy with cruisers and cabbies so I could see him being difficult to spot;)

and why yes, I did! YNWA  😃

• 2 weeks later...

Just visited the club last week on the AOS. Malecon 21 is at the north end of the Malecon. Same taxi fare for 2, $8. You will need to tell the driver Nochon Kay because it is very new. It is the seafood restaurant beside Malecon 21.  Since it is at the north end, it is very quite. No loud music. They have wooden lounger with thick cushions and small table between two lounger. Since it is not in the middle of the Malecon, there is plenty of space between lounger, not one stack side by side. Even with three ship in port, there was only 8 people at the club. PAYG, 15 dollar min purchase for the use of the lounger. Menu is posted above. Also because it is away from the crowd, there was very very few hawkers, maybe 5 over 3 hour period. That may change if a lot more people start using the club. The food was excellent, taco was very well presented. Manny is excellent, not in your face, drop by every half hour to see if everything is ok, no hard sell. The water situation is discussed on another thread. the water is shallow here. If you want to swim in deep water, this may not be for you. Walk into waist deep water. They will call a taxi or you can walk to the middle of the Malecon for a taxi back to Port. Since this is a very quite spot, there are no taxi park beside the club. This is a great option if you like PAYG and a much more quite atmosphere. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:18 PM, strathcona said:

Just visited the club last week on the AOS. Malecon 21 is at the north end of the Malecon. Same taxi fare for 2, $8. You will need to tell the driver Nochon Kay because it is very new. It is the seafood restaurant beside Malecon 21.  Since it is at the north end, it is very quite. No loud music. They have wooden lounger with thick cushions and small table between two lounger. Since it is not in the middle of the Malecon, there is plenty of space between lounger, not one stack side by side. Even with three ship in port, there was only 8 people at the club. PAYG, 15 dollar min purchase for the use of the lounger. Menu is posted above. Also because it is away from the crowd, there was very very few hawkers, maybe 5 over 3 hour period. That may change if a lot more people start using the club. The food was excellent, taco was very well presented. Manny is excellent, not in your face, drop by every half hour to see if everything is ok, no hard sell. The water situation is discussed on another thread. the water is shallow here. If you want to swim in deep water, this may not be for you. Walk into waist deep water. They will call a taxi or you can walk to the middle of the Malecon for a taxi back to Port. Since this is a very quite spot, there are no taxi park beside the club. This is a great option if you like PAYG and a much more quite atmosphere. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Great first post giving back to this community.  Thank you.

Edited by JFontaine

On 2/1/2020 at 8:18 PM, strathcona said:

Just visited the club last week on the AOS. Malecon 21 is at the north end of the Malecon. Same taxi fare for 2, $8. You will need to tell the driver Nochon Kay because it is very new.

Welcome to CC. Glad you enjoyed.

A couple of quick corrections so you don't confuse others-

Malecon 21 is at the SOUTH end of the malecon between NOHOCH Kay and Sulumar.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 2:36 PM, Losnab said:

My HB and I made advance reservations for Malecon 21 - thank you to all that recommended this new club.

We contacted them via their website and got a very quick response.  We chose our package "Freedom" and paid $15 up front (credits toward food and drink) and committed to spending an additional $15 during our visit.  We lots of local beer and enjoyed a variety top notch treats from their beautiful menu - attached.      We were so happy to have read about Malecon21 from other folks who generously shared reviews - it was great and we had a memorable day.  Should we return to Costa Maya there is no doubt that we will head back to Malecon21.

It was a little chilly last week during our visit, and a bit rough after a morning rain,  so we did not snorkel.  But we did wade around a bit in the clear blue waters.  My husband took advantage of the massage and said it was great.

This cab from the Port was $8 each way (2 people).    I had a copy of the attached map with me and the driver had no problems getting there and dropping us off right in front of Malecon21.

When we left the folks at Malecon21 had a cab ready for us, the driver was professional and stopped at a nice point so we can take a photo.

Map of Malecon 21.jpeg

IMG_0807.jpeg

IMG_0804.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up on Malecon21... We will be there at the end of April on Harmony of the Seas and this looks like a great fit. I am thinking the "Freedom" deal for $15 which includes the food credit. One quick question, what does the "Sunbed" look like that comes with the deal ? Not sure if you have a pic or not. Hoping it is those nice loungers on their website. Thanks for any information you can give

4 hours ago, JimmyL said:

Thanks for the heads up on Malecon21... We will be there at the end of April on Harmony of the Seas and this looks like a great fit. I am thinking the "Freedom" deal for $15 which includes the food credit. One quick question, what does the "Sunbed" look like that comes with the deal ? Not sure if you have a pic or not. Hoping it is those nice loungers on their website. Thanks for any information you can give

As I recall all the sun beds are the same and yes come with any of the packages. We are booked for Freedom package to return next week and will try and remember to confirm.

There is also nice comfortable seating in the hotel lobby if you need a break from the heat.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 8:45 PM, MTLCRUISER72 said:

Can we just stroll in to Malecon21 without reservations? Last year on our stop in Costa Maya it was raining and we ended up staying in port. We will be there second week of March.

Mike

Yes you can always stroll up and take your chances. We did that our first visit. It is at the end of the malecon so much quieter and more chance of an empty seat. Also it is new and little known, most people don’t make it that far. 

Yesterday was cool and  cloudy so we had our choice of loungers.

Edited by c-leg5