Akaroa - sheep farm

akke29

I've been exploring options for our day in Akaroa.  Visiting a sheep farm is high on the list while in NZ, but I'm wondering if pairing it with the drive all the way to Christchurch is too much?  Lots of reviews complain about "too little time in Christchurch" so I'm wondering if skipping Christchurch and devoting the day to exploring Akaroa and visiting a sheep farm is a good use of the time in the day?  

I normally don't book shore excursions via cruise line, but am tempted to in this case.  The sheep farms website essentially says you can only visit via cruise ship booking.  Anyone have any experience with trying to do this on ones own?

Whilst not specifically a sheep farm tour, we took a great 4 hour Nature Safari with a company called Pohatu Penguins (this was in 2017.) They have sheep on their farm, but you also see nesting penguins and other scenery. The tour picks up right near the cruise tender and will have you back in plenty of time.

https://www.pohatu.co.nz/Scenic+Nature+Tours.html

You are correct, the sheep farm will not take direct bookings from cruise ship passengers. Logistics of car rental and time constraint may also be factors. If your heart is set on the excursion, go for it!

https://www.akaroafarmtours.com/contact-us

Edited by DogLover
Add info

3 hours ago, akke29 said:

I've been exploring options for our day in Akaroa.  Visiting a sheep farm is high on the list while in NZ, but I'm wondering if pairing it with the drive all the way to Christchurch is too much?  Lots of reviews complain about "too little time in Christchurch" so I'm wondering if skipping Christchurch and devoting the day to exploring Akaroa and visiting a sheep farm is a good use of the time in the day?  

I normally don't book shore excursions via cruise line, but am tempted to in this case.  The sheep farms website essentially says you can only visit via cruise ship booking.  Anyone have any experience with trying to do this on ones own?

Agree it is never a good idea to try to cram too much in to a day trip from a cruise ship. 

A day on a sheep station sounds like a good use of your day in Akaroa.  I have read good reviews.

I was disappointed that we couldn't disembark in Akaroa, due to forecast weather conditions.  

• 5 weeks later...

We visited Akaroa Farm Tours on a ship excursion last week and it was fantastic. We love the immersive visit and the owner, Murray gave a colourful chat about the farm's history and then his daughter-in-law, Hanna sheared a sheep and we were invited to have our photo taken with her and the sheep. Afterwards, we met the farm's clever sheepdogs and watched how the eager sheepdogs herd sheep down and then back up the mountainside.  Finally, we were invited into the farmer's garden patio where his wife, Sue who offered us homemade scones with jam and cream and a cup of tea or coffee - just delightful people.  For an authentic tour, we highly recommend them: https://www.akaroafarmtours.com

p.s. the Akaroa sail-in and sail-away is truly beautiful!

Keep in mind that Akaroa is a tender port. During our recent port stop there, the tenders were backed up hours (apparently because 2 ships were in port and normally there is only 1 at a time?). Even the ship could not get their excursions off in time to meet the operators so the ship excursions had to be changed. Those who booked independent tours were very frustrated as tours had to be cancelled last minute as people couldn't get off the ship. Announcements were made on the ship to wait until later morning to let the rush for tenders settle; we waited until just after 1000 to pick up tender tickets and couldn't get on shore for another 2 hours.  Luckily our independent tour booking (not a farm tour) was for the afternoon!

19 hours ago, banditoo said:

Keep in mind that Akaroa is a tender port. During our recent port stop there, the tenders were backed up hours (apparently because 2 ships were in port and normally there is only 1 at a time?). Even the ship could not get their excursions off in time to meet the operators so the ship excursions had to be changed. Those who booked independent tours were very frustrated as tours had to be cancelled last minute as people couldn't get off the ship. Announcements were made on the ship to wait until later morning to let the rush for tenders settle; we waited until just after 1000 to pick up tender tickets and couldn't get on shore for another 2 hours.  Luckily our independent tour booking (not a farm tour) was for the afternoon!

Do you know what the two ships were? TIA