Baggage Weight Limit

haircut4u

Sorry 'bout another question and as I depart in a couple of days I haven't the time to search the Forum for an answer.

For the first time in 50+ years of cruising I was astounded when reading my QE documentation that there is a max. limit of 20 Kg per bag. Do they enforce this? Has anyone been embarrassed by been questioned. I have traveled Cunard a number of times and have never come across this.  What's up?

Thanks - Garry, NZ

The actual weight limit is 23 kg per bag. That's the limit stated in the pre-voyage brochure. Yes, the e-tickets and luggage labels state 20 kg per bag. That is presumably to cover situations where flights or transfers arranged by Cunard have that lower weight restriction on luggage.

I have never seen luggage weighed at any embarkation port for the Cunard voyages we have been on. The 23 kg weight limit is for the health and safety of the crew, so for their sake, please try to keep within that limit, but I've not seen it enforced.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

The actual weight limit is 23 kg per bag. That's the limit stated in the pre-voyage brochure. Yes, the e-tickets and luggage labels state 20 kg per bag. That is presumably to cover situations where flights or transfers arranged by Cunard have that lower weight restriction on luggage.

I have never seen luggage weighed at any embarkation port for the Cunard voyages we have been on. The 23 kg weight limit is for the health and safety of the crew, so for their sake, please try to keep within that limit, but I've not seen it enforced.

It says 23kg on my labels for a cruise next month on QE  The  luggage limits vary a lot in this part of the world from 15kg  up to 30kg depending on fare paid and the airline 

33 minutes ago, lissie said:

It says 23kg on my labels for a cruise next month on QE ...

Good the hear they seem to be making progress on that front. Just curious, does your e-ticket say 23 kg as well or is that still showing 20 kg per bag for your upcoming voyage?

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Good the hear they seem to be making progress on that front. Just curious, does your e-ticket say 23 kg as well or is that still showing 20 kg per bag for your upcoming voyage?

The eTicket says nothing about luggage at all  except for the incorrect info of portage up to 2 bags per  a person being included for the non-existant airport transfer. 

32 minutes ago, lissie said:

The eTicket says nothing about luggage at all  except for the incorrect info of portage up to 2 bags per  a person being included for the non-existant airport transfer. 

Ah, a different e-ticket format for Australia/New Zealand, I suppose, or else a recently revised format. Our US e-tickets from the past several years have had these three "Check List" items listed across the top.

1) Bring E-Ticket, Passport/ID and check all required visas

2) Print and/or affix luggage labels   Maximum weight: 20kg per bag

3) Arrive at the terminal at your allocated time

That's one place I thought the OP (also from New Zealand) might have been seeing the 20kg limit stated.

Edited by bluemarble

My etickets for a Australia domestic weekend break last month in December, and an upcoming February voyage in South America, both indicate the 20kg weight.  The format is as bluemarble says - the three check list items across the top of the eticket.

image.png.3dfb4e954088bb6956945522e35038da.png

I think as long as you are sensible and don't try to pack 100kg into a bag, so that when they try to lift it they say "flip off I ain't lifting that!" then you should be absolutely fine... 

In airline world, the maximum single person lift is 32kg for checked baggage, which at my old airline is what a business class bag could weigh. I never managed to pack 32kg in one bag as it was too much for ME to lug around... 😄