Drive to Ft. Lauderdale

Dinda

Needing tips from anyone who has driven to Ft. Lauderdale.  We see there are a few options -(1)  go I-75 to Fla Turnpike and continue on it to I-95' (2) I-75 then cut over to Jacksonville to

I-95, (3) I-75 to I-4 to Orlando then hit the Turnpike to Hwy 192 toward Melborn and hit I-95 there.  I really hate to get on a toll road in Fla due to a bad experience.  Last year we were on one for about a mile in Tampa.  They sent us two invoices.  All the information was duplicated except for the invoice number.  I tried to get in touch with then through email and phone call and had no success.  So I stupidly paid both invoices and they never sent me a refund.

49 minutes ago, Dinda said:

Needing tips from anyone who has driven to Ft. Lauderdale.  We see there are a few options -(1)  go I-75 to Fla Turnpike and continue on it to I-95' (2) I-75 then cut over to Jacksonville to

I-95, (3) I-75 to I-4 to Orlando then hit the Turnpike to Hwy 192 toward Melborn and hit I-95 there.  I really hate to get on a toll road in Fla due to a bad experience.  Last year we were on one for about a mile in Tampa.  They sent us two invoices.  All the information was duplicated except for the invoice number.  I tried to get in touch with then through email and phone call and had no success.  So I stupidly paid both invoices and they never sent me a refund.

I dislike tolls also. Lived in  central Florida and never used the toll roads. If you want to stay away from the tolls take I-75 to I-10 East towards Jacksonville, then take I-295 south to I-95 south all the way to Fort Lauderdale. I-75 to the FloridaTurnpike is a bit shorter, but you will pay the tolls from  Wildwood all the way to Fort Pierce where you can get on I-95 to Fort Lauderdale. Skip the Orlando portion, you will be going into central Florida and then double back to the coast. 

Edited by skrufy
Correction

Driven the route from NW Florida to South Florida many times.

Do not take the I-4 route that you mentioned.  That route will add at least 1 hour to your drive, 

From the I-10 / I-75 Interchange near Lake City, the 3 fastest options without using SunPass tolls or Toll by Plate (bill in the mail) are as follows:

1.  I-10 West to I-295 loop in Jacksonville to I-95 South.   There are no tolls on this route, but it is the longest of the 3 options.

2  I-75 South to the Florida Turnpike.  Turnpike South to exit 193 (This is the Yeehaw Juction - Vero Beach exit / Florida State Road 60)  Take SR 60 East to I-95, then I-95 South.  This option saves about 10-20 minutes over option 1, but you will have tolls totaling $9.15.  You can pay cash for all of the toll booths you encounter on this route.

3.  I-75 South to the Florida Turnpike.  Turnpike South to exit 116 (Jupiter - SR 706 / I-95 Interchange), then I-95 South.  This route is about 10 minutes quicker than option 2, and about 20-30 minutes quicker than option 1.  Tolls for this option total $16.15.  Also, all tolls on this route still allow you to pay cash.

You can go a few more exits on the Turnpike paying cash south of exit 116, but the further south you go on the Turnpike, the more risk you have in running into a cashless toll exit, where you end up getting a bill later on.  Also, there are a few exits in the Orlando area that are clearly marked SunPass only.  If you are paying cash, you need to avoid these exits.

Edited by loanshark

we'll pay the tolls on the turnpike and avoid I-95 at all costs

we get off at Sunrise Blvd - exit 58 I believe and just deal with the local traffic at that time … not usually too bad  and plenty of places to grab a quick bite, gas, wine, walgreens, etc

I personally prefer I95 over the turnpike.  I95 has 3 lanes so you don't get the slow drivers in the left lane like the turnpike, which only has 2 lanes.  Turnpike has a lot more backups and road ragers.