Start in Fairbanks vs Anchorage?

jc3443

We are looking at the 12 day land-sea tours on Princess. Both intineraries look good to us, especially as the cruise portion are identical. We particularly like the idea of the Riverboat out of Fairbanks. We will likely come in at least 3 nights prior to our tour, so that said, any advice on whether there would be significantly more to do in Anchorage vs Fairbanks? Where would that time be best spent? Advice and experience would be appreciated!

How sold are you on the pre-packaged cruiestour from the cruise line? Would you consider renting a car and putting together your own land trip before the cruise? It gives you a lot more flexibility and options and let you do & see what you want, not as part of a herd.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AKStafford said:

How sold are you on the pre-packaged cruiestour from the cruise line? Would you consider renting a car and putting together your own land trip before the cruise? It gives you a lot more flexibility and options and let you do & see what you want, not as part of a herd.

Thanks for your suggestion. I drove all over Scotland this past June with a crew of 9 people on a land tour I planned. Some of whom I love dearly but drive me crazy. I AM NOT doing that again. On a cruise tour I can get a little distance and they can do their own thing, but when I am organizing it and several people want to do different things it is a recipe for family chaos. If it were just my wife, my kids and I, doing our own tour would be our plan. Thanks for the suggestion though!

So with that said, where would you suggest a few extra days be spent?

Edited by jc3443

Covering Fairbanks to Anchorage in three days means you'll spend most your time in transit. At Denali you'll be on the mostly worthless Natural History Tour. See if you can upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour... But if I remember the details right, you don't even have time for that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AKStafford said:

Covering Fairbanks to Anchorage in three days means you'll spend most your time in transit. At Denali you'll be on the mostly worthless Natural History Tour. See if you can upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour... But if I remember the details right, you don't even have time for that.

I understand the cruise tour will be a whirlwind. That is why we are going to be spending a few days in advance of the tour either in Anchorage or in Fairbanks. The days in advance are what I am trying to plan for. Thanks for the suggestion on the Tundra tour. We are flexible on how much earlier we come in. As I said in my original post we will likely come in at least three days before the cruisetour starts.

oaktreerb and Coral thanks for the suggestion of Anchorage. Any particular suggestions on what we should visit?

6 hours ago, jc3443 said:

oaktreerb and Coral thanks for the suggestion of Anchorage. Any particular suggestions on what we should visit?

I would hotel one or two nights in Seward (as opposed to Anchorage).

• Like 1

It would help to know how many people are travelling, your interests/priorities, mobility issues, month, etc.

No point in my suggesting a kayak tour among the icebergs or fishing expedition in Seward if you don't have the interest or physical ability.   OR heli dogsledding or flightseeing if it's not in the budget.

I get that you don't want to drive the cruisetour portion, but would you rent a car or 2 for Seward.  It's only 130 miles away so an easy drive. IHaving a car gives you the ability to stop for wildlife and other points of interest along the way, plus you have access to many more lodging options.   Otherwise the Alaska Railroad has one departure per day, so it's quite limiting.  Alaska Coach has one departure, sometimes 2 depending on travel date.

In lieu of that information: look at the town web sites and download their Visitor Guides to see what's of interest. 

https://www.anchorage.net/

http://www.seward.com/

I enjoy Fairbanks, but it's a sprawling city so having a car is best for exploring the sights.

• Like 1

We are having the same discussion in our family.  It will be 8 of us, my husband & I,  both daughters and their husbands, plus two children, ages 5 and not quite 2 when we travel.  We have decided to meet in Fairbanks.  The daughter with the children is going in a few days ahead of the rest of us so they can get the kids acclimated to the time change a bit.  The rest of us will have only an afternoon in Fairbanks because we have decided to take the train to Denali, which leaves early the next morning.  Our thoughts on taking the train vs driving is that the kids do not have to be in car seats in the train, food is available to keep them busy, and there is an outdoor viewing platform. We figure between all this, we can keep them entertained easier.  That comes at a cost, of course, but my husband prefers the train as well so he can see the scenery rather than keeping his eyes on the road.  

We are doing 2 nights in Denali and 1 night in Seward, both in air bnbs.   We realize how much time we spend on the train, but seeing the scenery is part of the trip, right?  

• Like 1

I understand I did not provide much background. My immediate family and I are in quite good condition and active. For example a rim to rim Grand Canyon hike is also in the planning stages. That said there will be others along who are not so mobile, such as my father, but we also will not necessarily be together the entire time in the lead up to the cruise tour. I am really only looking for suggestions on where there is the most to do and where they would spend that time. Obviously we all have different interests, etc. And renting a car is absolutely in the cards for our time in whichever location we go with. And this will be during the summer months, June-July.

Thanks for the input all.

Edited by jc3443

Thx for the additional info. 

I think Seward would be a great place to spend 3 days pre-cruisetour.  That would be MY first choice ..... have a leisurely drive to Seward enjoying the sights and activities along the Turnagain Arm then spend 2 or 3 days in Seward. Leave Seward at 8am on cruise day so that you can turn in the cars by noon and catch a transfer to Whittier. They tend to leave around 2pm. Altho with 9 people, a limo service may be cheaper.

HOWEVER, given the make up of your group, would it be easier to stay put in Anchorage ?  Maybe see some sights in Anchorage for a day, like the Alaska Heritage Center ( I think they have a free shuttle that leaves from the sod-roofed Visitor Info cabin), Alaska Museum, the worlds largest floatplane base at Lake Hood, rent bikes and do the Coastal Trail.  Then have two days of day trips to

1.  Matanuska Glacier where the energetic could do an ice trek on the glacier while others enjoy the view from a lodge.  Suggested stopping points in this link:  https://www.alaska.org/guide/matanuska-glacier-scenic-drive

2. drive along the Turnagain Arm to see the Wildlife Conservation Center,  pan for gold, Portage Lake/Glacier cruise, 2 mi RT hike to the snow at Byron Glacier ....https://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive  and https://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

I would also take into consideration the details of the cruisetour.  ie do you leave Talkeetna on cruise day and have a 10hr train ride to Whittier ?  do you prefer train or bus ?  do you have 2 nites at Denali so that you have time to get into the park ? 

If the cruisetour seems like a lot of traveling, maybe adding Seward will make the trip too busy.  And maybe starting in Fairbanks would be the best option.  In Fairbanks you can tour the exhibits of Pioneer Park, visit the antique car museum,  UofA Museum and Large Animal Research Center,  Morris thompson Culture Center ( antler arch for a photo opp), drive to North Pole for xmas stuff,  visit the Pipeline exhibit, .  The Riverboat and Gold Panning excursions are usually incl in the cruisetour.  

https://www.alaska.org/destination/fairbanks/things-to-do

You know your group best. Lots to consider.  Good luck with your research and planning. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Thx for the additional info. 

I think Seward would be a great place to spend 3 days pre-cruisetour.  That would be MY first choice ..... have a leisurely drive to Seward enjoying the sights and activities along the Turnagain Arm then spend 2 or 3 days in Seward. Leave Seward at 8am on cruise day so that you can turn in the cars by noon and catch a transfer to Whittier. They tend to leave around 2pm. Altho with 9 people, a limo service may be cheaper.

HOWEVER, given the make up of your group, would it be easier to stay put in Anchorage ?  Maybe see some sights in Anchorage for a day, like the Alaska Heritage Center ( I think they have a free shuttle that leaves from the sod-roofed Visitor Info cabin), Alaska Museum, the worlds largest floatplane base at Lake Hood, rent bikes and do the Coastal Trail.  Then have two days of day trips to

1.  Matanuska Glacier where the energetic could do an ice trek on the glacier while others enjoy the view from a lodge.  Suggested stopping points in this link:  https://www.alaska.org/guide/matanuska-glacier-scenic-drive

2. drive along the Turnagain Arm to see the Wildlife Conservation Center,  pan for gold, Portage Lake/Glacier cruise, 2 mi RT hike to the snow at Byron Glacier ....https://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive  and https://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

I would also take into consideration the details of the cruisetour.  ie do you leave Talkeetna on cruise day and have a 10hr train ride to Whittier ?  do you prefer train or bus ?  do you have 2 nites at Denali so that you have time to get into the park ? 

If the cruisetour seems like a lot of traveling, maybe adding Seward will make the trip too busy.  And maybe starting in Fairbanks would be the best option.  In Fairbanks you can tour the exhibits of Pioneer Park, visit the antique car museum,  UofA Museum and Large Animal Research Center,  Morris thompson Culture Center ( antler arch for a photo opp), drive to North Pole for xmas stuff,  visit the Pipeline exhibit, .  The Riverboat and Gold Panning excursions are usually incl in the cruisetour.  

https://www.alaska.org/destination/fairbanks/things-to-do

You know your group best. Lots to consider.  Good luck with your research and planning. 

Great advice. Thank you I will look into these options.