Chip and PIN

duquephart

Not sure why you're posting this in the Viking forum.

Except for probably the U.S. these cards are very common, as we have used them for about 30 years. They are way more secure. Chip & pin is now old technology, as we have had tap or contact-less cards for years.

The OP is a Viking Ocean cruiser, so it's a valid question that can be asked here.

We've had Chip & PIN cards available to us in the US for a few years now.  It's probably the most secure system for paying by credit card.  Unfortunately I have been asked to enter my PIN just once in Europe and never in the US.  It's been Chip & Signature for me.

We have a few contactless cards, but IMHO these are the least secure.  If a contactless card is lost or stolen, the thief doesn't need to do anything other than tap the card to make a purchase.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

The OP is a Viking Ocean cruiser, so it's a valid question that can be asked here.

We've had Chip & PIN cards available to us in the US for a few years now.  It's probably the most secure system for paying by credit card.  Unfortunately I have been asked to enter my PIN just once in Europe and never in the US.  It's been Chip & Signature for me.

We have a few contactless cards, but IMHO these are the least secure.  If a contactless card is lost or stolen, the thief doesn't need to do anything other than tap the card to make a purchase.

Even in Bora Bora yesterday, we didn't have to sign anything, same as Europe.

With respect to tap/contactless, they have pros and cons. By not having to use your PIN, nobody can clone your card & PIN #, making purchases up to card limit. With tap, it has low limits - Canada $100 & UK 30 Sterling. Our bank also has amazing tracking algorithms and routinely identify fraud before we know the card is compromised. Have used tap for almost 10 years and from experience it has less issues than chip/pin for low value. 

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We did...  After a fantastic day with Patrick we visited Bloody Mary's where we were required to sign our credit card slip.

I believe the issuing financial institution decides whether a point of sale transaction will require a PIN or Signature.  Apparently fees charged for a signature are lower than those requiring a PIN.

Enjoy your cruise...

I spent 5 weeks in Europe (well, Norway, UK and Ireland) this past summer with three chip-and-pin cards. On ALL occasions that I used a card, I was asked to sign. PIN was never offered.
I believe this is due to the fact that the cards are all from US banks, and when the vendors' card machines identify that, they just spit out a slip to sign.
Your card from a Canadian (if I'm not mistaken) bank results in a PIN request.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk