B2B in Sydney

cruising sister

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I am looking for information about the customs process for B2B cruisers out of Sydney. We will be on Celebrity Solstice. We would like to get off as soon as possible to see the sights. We booked at 10 AM Opera House tour and hope to make it.. 

Thanks

Customs is pretty basic,you would have to go through it again when you reboard.

They just swipe your passport,no paperwork.

Disembarking is usually just walk of the ship but a few weeks ago because of a threat of a pig flu that’s killing pigs in Asia.There were long lines for bio security and we had to fill in the arrivals card .

That took a bit of time.

Do you have the same cabin?

We have gone through Aus. customs several times in Sydney, although the most recent was in 2016 so my information may be dated.  In 2016 we were also on the Celebrity Solstice.  Our that particular B2B set our first leg ended in Sydney, and we left the ship in Singapore.

We have done several B2B sailings on Celebrity in which the first leg ended in Sydney.  Our experiences with Celebrity has been that the company brings on Customs officials at a prior port (in one case it was Bora Bora in French Polynesia) to facilitate the customs process for both passengers and crew.  Our experience in Sydney has been that everyone has to leave the ship.  Since the Solstice will dock at the OPT, which is one of the most convenient terminals for a B2B passenger in terms of location to major attractions, having to leave the ship is not an issue unless someone is experiencing a really bad head cold and could use some time in bed.  And Celebrity has that B2B process down to an art -- even if you move staterooms.  We have re-boarded several times in Sydney, and with the issued transit pass to B2B passenger, re-boarding was a breeze.  I don't feel you will have any issues making that 10 AM Opera House tour.

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Customs is pretty basic,you would have to go through it again when you reboard.

They just swipe your passport,no paperwork.

Disembarking is usually just walk of the ship but a few weeks ago because of a threat of a pig flu that’s killing pigs in Asia.There were long lines for bio security and we had to fill in the arrivals card .

That took a bit of time.

Do you have the same cabin?

Yes we have the same cabin. We are hoping to walk off early and not go through the group customs line for B2B. Hopefully they will realize people want to maximize their time in Sydney. 

18 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Yes we have the same cabin. We are hoping to walk off early and not go through the group customs line for B2B. Hopefully they will realize people want to maximize their time in Sydney. 

If your previous port stop was not an Australian port then you will have to go through customs if they haven't already done the processing onboard and on the Solstice cruise we did last year it wasn't done onboard unfortunately. If they organize it in groups then talk to guest services to see if you can go through in an earlier group. I can't recall if Celebrity arranged groups or not for onshore processing.

Hello we are on Solstice currently and will be on the next cruise. The current cruise is the GBR and only has Australian ports. The next cruise goes to New Zealand and then back to Sydney. Below is the information we have received ready for change over day:

We have received an invitation to a meeting to explain the disembarkation process. It takes place two days before the end of the cruise. 

A transit pass 

A B2B letter detailing breakfast and lunch times and details of what to do on changeover day:

you need to disembark the vessel at anytime between 7:00 and 9:00 using your current sea pass card

your new sea pass card will be given to you at the gangway.
once in the terminal building have your passport, transit pass & arrival card ready for inspection. 
please not your will not be able to come back onboard before 11:30 approx. 
to re enter the terminal, please present your transit pass and original passport to security. 
you will not go through the check in process. Proceed to level 2 to take a new picture and then to level 3 where you will be seen by immigration. 

Due to Australian Border Force regulations, once you board the ship you will not be able to exit the ship again that day. 

some information if you are changing stateroom etc 

Edited by bengaltiger1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's weird! Did the current cruise originate in Sydney? If so I wonder why they are making you go through a passport inspection when you go ashore? 

The current cruise starts and ends in Sydney, but the second cruise goes to NZ. Returning to Sydney. No idea why, but the last time we left Sydney In 2017 to go to Honolulu we had to go through immigration before check in. I expected that, but not this at end of first cruise and then again at the start. If the process changes I will try to remember to come back and update the information. 

20 hours ago, bengaltiger1 said:

The current cruise starts and ends in Sydney, but the second cruise goes to NZ. Returning to Sydney. No idea why, but the last time we left Sydney In 2017 to go to Honolulu we had to go through immigration before check in. I expected that, but not this at end of first cruise and then again at the start. If the process changes I will try to remember to come back and update the information. 

Ah, I know why. They shouldn't have had the passport checks when you boarded the first cruise as it's a domestic cruise (we didn't on a Tasmania cruise), so the passport check will be at the start of the second cruise. Perhaps they just want to check to make sure you have your passport with you when you go off for the day.

• 3 weeks later...

We back to backed in Sydney.    Most, maybe all cruise lines require you to be on the ship 2 hours pre-departure on embarkation day.  I was hoping that since we were not new cruisers, we could come back a little later.  However, we were asked to come back 2 hours pre-departure.  So before you leave the ship, I'd clarify when they want you back!